Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
cooking 2 turkeys
jennifer
10/31/10
i am serving 16, and would like to purchase 2 12 pound turkeys and cook them side by side... i only have one oven, so i thought of putting them in the same roasting pan...does this seem doable in a standard size large roasting pan, about 16x13/14...any other suggestions? cannot cook ahead of time...thanks!
ellen
10/31/10
2 12's fits a standard size oven fine, but probably not an apartment size. You can use a large cookie sheet with a rim, it does not have to be a roasting pan.
jennifer
10/31/10
wow, radical using a large sheet pan with rim for 2 turkeys! my concern is spillage since i plan on using cheesecloth and drizzling white wine/butter throughout cooking process...also, do you just put aromatics under the bird (herbs, carrots, celery, etc) when using the sheet pan method? thank you!
ellen
11/01/10
I do put aromatics, but in the bird, not under.

I use the turkey baster to pull off the juices under if the pan gets too full (refrigerate for gravy), or before moving out of the oven.

Debbie
11/01/10
I have cooked two turkeys in my oven by putting each one in a 9x13 pan in Renolds turkey size oven bags. They cook faster than in a roaster and brown beautifully. All the juices stay in the bag and make for a very moist turkey.
jennifer
11/05/10
thanks very much!

another few questions...is there a reference for quantities for cooking side dishes for 12...ex. stuffing (i.e. how much bread, how much sausage), cranberry relish (how many oz of cranberry), vege side dishes (2 oz or 4 oz of each raw vege to be cooked?)...i saw your key for gravy, which i will use for sure...some recipes are not always accurate and i need tried and true!
also, do you recommend the best type of bread to use for stuffing?
thanks again...
ellen
11/06/10
See the planning article, it gives amounts per person on all the side dishes. Also, you can use 12th of the amount for 100.

I use 1/2 cornbread and 1/2 seasoned white for my stuffing. It is the family favorite.

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design