See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 200 people
Carol Wetherwax
cluelesscsw@aol.com
02/04/05
I am looking for the quanties needed for an assorted tray of fresh fruit and fresh vegetables to serve 200 people.
ellen

02/05/05
Please check out the bigplans page for the exact info on these two items- quantitites and serving suggestions both included.
Tom
dev4d@hotmail.com
04/04/05
How much fresh fruit do I need to serve 200 people.
ellen

04/05/05
As mentioned above, this question is thoroughly answered in the big pots section under planning- fruit trays
Johnny

08/15/05
Fruit for 200
I have 200 members of a police department being debriefed after a shooting incident. I would like to have enough fruit on hand when they go to breaks. Apples oranges bananas and grapes. We will also have drinks and cookies. An idea of how many cookies would help.
ellen

08/16/05
Ok, for every 50 people, use 2 watermelons (about 20 pounds total), 6 1-pint baskets of strawberries, 3 medium pineapples, 3 medium cantaloupes, 2 to 3 honeydews or casaba melons, 4 pounds of grapes and a pint or two of blueberries for garnish. You can use the frozen chunks of mixed fruits for part, put in the refrigerator instead of the freezer the night before, by the time you get out of your meeting they will be partially thawed. If you want oranges, get the little tiny tangerines that peel in a flash- they are in season right now. Apples and bananas turn brown if cut and tend to not get picked if not cut- I go with the melon chunks instead- sweeter and nicer looking.

Cookies depends on size and type, but you want about 3 ounces per person.

Remember, it takes those 60 cup coffee machines over an hour to brew- start early.

If it were me, I would get 2 or 3 5 pound blocks of cheese (sharp cheddar, jack) at SAMs or Costco, cost is $40 total and would add some much needed protein. Cut into cubes or bite size slices.

Lisa
chocolatetiersfountainrentals@yahoo.com
08/30/05
I am serving strawberries, pineapples, bananas, pretzels,maraschino cherries, and marshmallows for 200 people. They will be dipping these items into a chocolate fountain. I need help with how much I need to purchase of each item to accomodate 200 people. Can you help?
ellen

09/01/05
This is a little different from fruit salad. If it is a dessert setup, allow 4-5 pieces of fruit total, including 1-2 strawberries. If it is a reception (no dinner) allow 4 pieces per hour. You decide what mix. The bananas have to be dipped in orange juic, lemon juice or fruit fresh to prevent browning and then drained, the chocolate won't stick if they are wet. People will eat the pretzels as a snack, not just dipped, I allow 5-6 pounds per hundred persons if there are no other chips or crunchies on the table. You can always save the unopened bags.
Tina
tlee85@alltel.net
09/21/05
How much carrots, celery, broccali, cauliflower or cucumbers to serve 200 people? How much dip?
ellen

09/21/05
Go to the veggie trays page in the big pots planning section, the question is discussed in detail. Even dip amounts.
Denise
08/17/06
How many cookies would I need to serve for 200 people? thanks
ellen
08/17/06
If they are large and one flavor 1 cookie each plus 10%. If they are small and several flavors, 1 of each flavor for each person. All together, you want between 2 1/2 to 4 ounces of cookies per person, depending on the event and what else is served.
Tiffany
11/10/06
I am getting ready for a wedding reception and I am in charge of the fruit section. We have a chocolate fountain and i need to know about how many bananas to buy and how to cut them to set them out. I know that i can dip these in fresh fruit or orange juice. this is for 250-300 people. Thank you so much
ellen
11/10/06
I have a new section on chocolate fountains, with all the info, including dippers and cleaning.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/chocfont.html

marie
02/15/07
vegetable tray for 200 people
How much do I need for 200
ellen
02/20/07
See the veggie tray page. The link is in the planning section of the Big Pots index.
kim
04/17/07
meat ,cheese , & cracker tray for 200 people
How much roast beef, turkey, ham, cheese, and crackers with dip is needed for 200 people?
ellen
04/17/07
Kim, check the plan for 100 page and the sandwich page. If these are appetizer trays, 3- ounces total meat and 2-3 ounces total cheese- double the amounts for 200 people.
cindy
05/22/07
I am looking to make a fruit tray containing watermelon, cantalope, honeydew and grapes for a graduation brunch along with the eggs and ham. How much fruit should I purchase for this.
ellen
05/24/07
The fruit tray page covers this exactly, check it out and you will be able to decide on your mix, You want about 4-6 ounces per person.
theresa
07/09/07
fresh fruit and cheese tray for 50 people
I am making a fruit tray and a seperate cheese tray as an appetizer before a dinner will be served at my parents 40th anniversary party. How much cheese, crackers and assorted fuits will I need. Thanks.
ellen
07/10/07
Check the fruit tray page, button at the top of the main cook talk page. Crackers, 6-7 pounds per 100 people, cheese 7-10 pounds, depending on types and length of service.
Erin
07/11/07
Erin,
I stumbled onto this website and thought it had some great info as far as fruit and veggie trays. Hope it helps!
helen
08/04/07
cream cheese for 300 ribbon sandwiches
I'm preparing 300 sandwiches with cream cheese
(cherries, black olive, pecan)for a wedding
reception 8/11. How much cream cheese should I
purchase. There will be 200 attending; is 500
sandwiches sufficient. thanks H
ellen
08/05/07
Hi, Helen,

See my article on planning tea sandwiches- depending on the timing of the event, you may be short to very short. Also depends on whether you are counting sandwiches made with whole slices of bread, which cut into 3-4 little sandwiches, or counting the already cut sandwiches.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/recep2.html

Barbara
08/16/07
fresh fruit tray for 200 people
We are serving a variety of desserts and fruit trays. How much fruit needed for 200 people
ellen
08/16/07
See the article on fruit trays and salads, link at the top of the main cook talk page. You might also look at the dessert bar page.
Teri
09/18/07
chocolate dipped strawberries
I am serving white and dark chocolate dipped strawberries for a reception of 200. How many berries should I dip?
Teri
09/18/07
sliced apples for 100
For a caramel fountain, how many sliced apples would i need per 100 guests?
ellen
09/18/07
Teri, see the chocolate fountain page for info on dippers for these fountains and a whole lot of other info about them. Remember you MUST use fruit fresh on apple pieces or they will turn brown. Unless you are deeply devoted to the fountain, consider a caramel fondue- MUCH easier to handle and better caramel, too. One each white and dark chocolate strawberries per person, plus an extra hundred dark,
Alice Womble
09/19/07
puch& crackersfor 200 people for wedding reception
I am planning my daughters wedding. How much punch do I need for around 200 people? Also I have 3 big cheese balls and need to know how many crackers to buy
ellen
09/19/07
There is a beverage planning page and a punch thread to help with the punch. Crackers, usua is 6 pounds per 100 people.
lynn
11/18/07
desserts for 200 people
What is a good rule of thumb for knowing how many cakes, pies, etc. to make when trying to serve 200 people?
ellen
11/18/07
The rule of thumb is, look at the dessert planning table for 100 on ellenskitchen.com and double it. Very extensive- all different kinds of desserts. Button at the top ofthe main cook talk page.
Maeday Howell
11/28/07
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 500 people
I would really like to know how much fruit and vegetables to feed 500 people. These will be trayed for a holiday luncheon. Guests will serve themselves.

Fruit - grapes, pineapple,

Veg. - carrots, celery, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, broccili

ellen
11/28/07
Maeday, you just need to see the pages for veggie trays and for fruit trays for extensive directions on preparing these trays and the amounts needed. Buttons at the top of the main cook talk page.

If you have more questions after reading the information, or want me to check your estimates, just post them-

Cheryl
02/16/08
dinner party for 100 people
I am trying to give a nice dinner party for 50-100 people, and I plan on catering it myself. Any suggestions on what types of food I should have.

Thanking you in advance.

ellen
02/17/08
Cheryl, you don't tell me what your budget is, what type event/occasion (soup or chili supper, tex mex feast, buffet, sit-down, cocktail supper, BBQ, etc) or how much cooking experience you have, or what your cooking situation is (size stove, etc), whether you have a freezer or any help, so this is a tough question.

Generally, up to 60 is pretty possible in a home kitchen, so if you really have 100, you might consider 2 parties, such as 2 nights in a row. You can start by reading my article on self catering your wedding dinner or event in the Big Pots section.

Could you write back with more information about your situation?

Paige
04/14/08
chocolate favors 75-100 people
Hi Ellen,
I am making the favors for an anniversary party for 75-100 people. How many pounds of chocolate or pretzels should I get?
ellen
04/14/08
Hi, Paige, I get 6-8 pounds nuts or mints per 100 people for table bowls, that's an ounce or so per person. Hope this helps.
Jacque
04/24/08
sliced strawberries
How many pounds of strawberries would I need to buy to slice up for strawberry shortcake for 45 people?
ellen
04/24/08
One pint is about right for 4, maybe 5, people, so 9-10 pints.
Kookie
05/08/08
Fresh Fruit for Banquet 500pp
Hello,
There is an event for 500 pp and want to have fruit for the side. How much of strawberries, watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, red grapes, green grapes, blueberries do I need? I really don't like to waste food so want to know what a sensible amount would be? Help!
ellen
05/08/08
Go to the fruit tray page. Amounts for trays and fruit cups; should be enough info. If not, make some estimates and post your questions.
Brian Pointer
07/04/08
Watermelons for 200 people
How many watermelons will I need to feed 200 people?
ellen
07/04/08
For a nice big outdoor slce, about 1 pound whole per person.
june gregory
09/12/08
vegie tray
how many vegetables do I need to buy to make a tray for 60 people
ellen
09/12/08
Check the veggie tray page for necessary guidance.
Mel
09/17/08
fresh fruit, veggie and cheese trays for 100
I am planning a drop in wine and cheese event. How many fruit, veggie and cheese trays should I plan on for 120 guests?
ellen
09/17/08
Deeply influenced by how long you expect the guests to stay (1, 2, or more hours) and the time of day of the party; immediately after work they eat up to 3-6 times as much as an after dinner cocktail or drop in situation. Write back..
Mel
09/18/08
fruit, veggies, cheese for 100
This event is a customer appreciation for an apartment community, and yes it will be after work.
ellen
09/18/08
Allow about a scant 1 pound total foods for each person and you will have plenty. Allow 1 pound cheese, cheese spreads and/or cheese logs for each 5 people, 6-8 pounds crackers per 100. 3 ounces ready to eat fruits per person plus dip. 2-3 ounces ready to eat veggies plus dip. One good dip would be great- for 120 people, you want to allow 2 gallons, plus the breads or dippers for the dip. For the wine/beverages and ice, see the beverage planning page.
Angie
10/13/08
How many vegetables needed for 100 peopl
How many pounds of fresh vegetables should I supply for 100 people? I am planning on having carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, and cauliflower.
Thanks!!
ellen
10/13/08
You can find this info on the veggie tray page.
ashley
11/15/08
soup and salad for 200 people
i am getting married in march and i need to know how much soup to make for 200 people. also how much salad items will i need and how much of each.
ellen
11/15/08
Ashley, these items are all covered on the plan for 100 tables, the beverage and dessert tables, and so forth. Make a first estimate and post it along with your service info (buffet, plated, etc), your time of day, and what else will be served, and I will be glad to check it for you.
britney
11/26/08
how many strawberries do u need to fed 500 people
britney
11/26/08
how many strawberries do u need to feed 2oo
people
ellen
11/26/08
Calculate it yourself from the information on the fruit tray page.
Ceil
12/30/08
fresh cut of fruib in a bowl for 20 people
having a party serving many other items for 20 people how many poundsdo I need
ellen
12/30/08
See the fruit tray page for amounts for 25 and use a bit less.
macky
01/07/09
how muh pounds of fruit would i need to feed 200 poeple. please do not say ounces
ellen
01/07/09
Look at the fruit tray page (button at the top of the main cook talk page. Use 8 times the amount for a fruit tray for 25, if you are doing trays. There are also quantities for fruit salad for various size servings.
Deborah
03/09/09
40 people - veggie, cheese, cracker, dessert only
Thanks for all of your great estimations. If I If I am only planning to offer veggie trays, cheese & cracker trays, and mini cake desserts, how many ounces per person should I estimate? The venue is simply a networking reception for my alma mater, which I am trying to do on a budget. I'm planning to serve soda and water, no alcohol. Not sure about coffee - do I need this if I am putting out dessert?
ellen
03/09/09
Coffee is a definite yes, and I would offer both regular and decaf. It depends very much on the time of day- if it is after work, they will eat three-six times as much as mid morning or midafternoon. You need 1 of each flavor dessert for each person unless you are planning more than 4 (people have one of every available flavor).

Minimums on cheese, 2 ounces per person plus about 3 pounds crackers. Veggies, see the veggie tray page. Blanch and marinate some, much more interesting and adds virtually nothing to the cost.

lynn
06/25/09
fresh fruit salad to feed 100 people
I am making fruit salad for a graduation party to feed 100 people. I have checked this websit in several different places and get concrete advice for fruit trays, but not for fruit salad. After reading many different entries, I have come up with two very different, conflicting amounts of various fruits. I'm thinking of using watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, pineapple, grapes, strawberries and blueberries. Can you help please???
ellen
06/26/09
You will notice from the tables that fruit salad servings come in two sizes, 1/2 and 3/4 cup, which is why you make be having some difficulty. I usually recommend fruit trays rather than slads for several reasons; they look great, keep better before and after, and do not require utensils or bowls/ cups to serve. 4 times the amount of fruit on the fruit tray for 25 will give enough fruit for l00 people.
Marie
07/06/09
fresh fruit and cheese tray for 15 people
What amount of cheese and fruit (and crackers) is needed to serve 15 people at a small reception. There will also be wedding cake.
ellen
07/07/09
Very sweet, 1 1/2 pounds each of 2-3 kinds of cheese, part can be a spread or log; 4 pounds ready to eat fruit; 2 pounds of crackers. You will have crackers left over, but you need at least 2 kinds.
Anna
07/08/09
We had 170 RSVP and ordering 200 for dinner, how many fruit and cheese trays do I get if we are eating dinner right afterwards? Each tray feeds 20-25 people. This is while we are taking pictures and the guest are at the reception waiting on us.
ellen
07/08/09
Anna, this is thoughtful. If dinner is right after, you can go with the 25 count and order 8 trays.
Anna
07/10/09
strawberry shortcake & fruit kabobs for 200 people
Setting up a fundraiser to sell strawberry shortcake & fruit kabobs for our soccer tournament. The sliced & sugared strawberries come in 15pound buckets. Do you think we need one or two?
Thanks!
ellen
07/10/09
1 pound fresh berries serves 4. You probably need 2-3.
Russ
07/19/09
wine and cheese party for 150-200 people
We are planning a wine and cheese party for between 150 - 200 people. The reception will be held from 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm. How much cheese, fruit, and crackers do I need to have on hand? Should we only have grapes or would more options be better? Thank you!
ellen
07/19/09
20 pounds cheese (part can be logs, balls, or spreads)and 6-8 pound crackers per 100. For fruit see the fruit tray for 25 and do 6 or 8 depending on how many people. Yes, you want more than grapes, see the fruit tray page for discussion.
Audrey Reich
07/23/09
We are having cake, punch, coffee, fudge,cheese and crackers and only grapes as a fruit at our daughters wedding in November (rustic shabby chic style) as other fruit is out of season. How many pounds of grapes do I need to get for 200 people. It is an afternoon wedding, no meal is being served.
ellen
07/23/09
See the fruit tray page. But there will be beautiful apples- with red and green wedges and a rinse in fruit fresh or lemonade to prevent browning, and a caramel dip, they would be a great addition. Also, how about cider or hot cider as a beverage option.
Lynn
08/06/09
punch for 200 people
Having a sweet 16 party, how many gallons of punch would I need for 200 people>
ellen
08/06/09
Check out the beverage planning page, link at the top of the main cooktalk page.
Brittany
08/20/09
How many servings are in one watermelon? Is it 25?
ellen
08/20/09
Each 4 1/2 pounds whole watermelon makes 4 cups fruit. I generally allow 1 pound whole melon for a full dessert serving for a picnic type meal.
Jessica
09/03/09
Im planning a outside bbq reception on a budget for 200 people how many cases of soda should i purchase, and should i do ice tea or lemonade?
ellen
09/03/09
See the beverage planning page. Iced tea made from scratch is very cheap (recipe is on the chart), and can be deliciously flavored by the addition of apricot nectar, or use of a fruit flavored tea. But you need to chill it before serving over ice, and you need to provide sweeteners as well as sugar. The beverage page discusses amounts for ice as well as tea and soda.
karen
10/01/09
wine for 200 people
we are having about 200 guest i need to know about how much wine would be needed we are also having beer.

thanks

ellen
10/01/09
See the beverage planning page, it will help you factor in the length of time, etc,
Deanna
10/08/09
I read your amounts for the fresh fruit platter for 25 people. I'm wondering if I do not include all the fruit listed, do I need to increase the amount of fruit I am including? For example, if I only have a selection of 3 fruits for 25 people, should I increase the amount suggested on your list?
ellen
10/08/09
The weight needs to end up the same. So if you on\mit 8 pounds of strawberries for example, you need 8 pounds of other edible fruit (which would be 12 or 14 pounds of whole melons, for example).
Amanda
11/30/09
how much coffee should I plan for 200
I am planning a wedding party for 200-250 people. There will be a full dinner with dessert and a full alcohol bar. How much regular and decaf should I get?
ellen
12/01/09
See the beverage planning pager, use the dinner coffee amounts, 2 1/2 times the amount for 100.
nadine
02/07/10
I'm looking for a recipe for chocolate pudding to feed 50 people can any one help
ellen
02/07/10
If it will be set into small bowls, you need 7 quarts, if it is self serve about 8 1/2 quarts. Go to the Army quartermaster link on the big pots page and put pudding in the search to look at simple recipes for 100 servings.
wanda
02/09/10
# of grapes to serve on table for 200 seated guest
I am having a fundraiser with 200 people. I can
purchase grapes in 3 lb bags. I plan to have them on each table to nibble on before and through out a meal of salad, lasagna and bread. Can you please tell me how many bags I should purchase?
ellen
02/10/10
I allow 3 ounces per person, so 1 bag for 15-16. Be sure they are well rinsed and well drained.
Radhika Sitaraman
03/08/10
Salad for 125 people
We are having an engagement party for our daughter and her fiance and I am planning a vegetarian Italian/mediteranean entrees and side dishes. Plus there is a cheese and crackers tray. I was thinking of making a salad. How much should I estimate for 125 people - 1/3 are mix of kids and teenagers.

P.S. I find your website very helpful.

Thanks.

Radhika

ellen
03/08/10
See the plan for 100 table the first section is salad, use 1 1/4 the amount for 100.
gale
04/26/10
Trying to figure out how much fruit for 500 kids?
ellen
04/27/10
Pre high school? treat as 250 adults. Amounts depend on whether it is a stand-alone snack, dessert, or served with other foods. You can write back.
Jennifer
05/13/10
We are having about 120-130 people for my sister's wedding and are making a vegie tray, chicken salad sandwhichs, and punch. We really do not know where to start. This happens to be a last minute deal and we are kinda freaking out. Is there any way you could help and tell us about how much of ingredients and tips you could give to help make this a little easier???

Thank you so much!

Jennifer
05/13/10
We are having about 120-130 people for my sister's wedding and are making a vegie tray, chicken salad sandwhichs, and punch. We really do not know where to start. This happens to be a last minute deal and we are kinda freaking out. Is there any way you could help and tell us about how much of ingredients and tips you could give to help make this a little easier???

Thank you so much!

ellen
05/13/10
The amounts are covered on the various planning pages, use 1 1/4 times the amount for 100. Even amounts of sandwich fillings and condiments on the sandwich page.

I would serve the chicken salad in big bowls, maybe add a big bowl of egg salad and one of tuna salad; have lots of nice rolls and bread in baskets, sandwich fixings on the side; and add 12-18 pounds tray of sliced cheeses.

Do one of the relish trays for 60 as outlined at the top of the veggie tray page, and use the guidelines below it for your veggie tray.

Add fruit trays- 4 of the fruit tray for 25 would be about right.

Punch amounts are on the beverage planning page. Recipe ideas in the punch thread on this forum.

Add dinner level coffee. People like it with the cake.

All this can be assembled day before (which you cannot do if you pre-make the sandwiches- they have to be made day of), and just set out day of.

Emma Lou
06/03/10
amount of tea needed to serve 250 people
can you help us, we need to know how much tea is needed to serve 250 people
ellen
06/03/10
see the beverage planning page.
Tammy
06/07/10
I am wondering how much fresh watermelon, cut in triangles I might need to feed 153 people....number of pounds would be great.

Thanks

ellen
06/07/10
This is a relatively small, serving, 1/2 pound whole per person is plenty.
JoAnn
06/09/10
meat, cheese, fruit and vegetable tray for 40 peop
I am making a meat, cheese, fruit and vegetable trays for a baby shower for 40 people. What quantities will I need to purchase?
ellen
06/09/10
Weights/ amounts all covered on the fruit tray page, veggie tray page and sandwich page. Buttons at the top of the main cooktalk page. Post your estimate if you want it checked.
patty
06/15/10
How many fruit kabobs to make for 250 people
ellen
06/15/10
Depends on whether it is an appetizer (and if so, how many others are being served), a fruit course, a side dish, or dessert?
I would not make kabobs for 250 people, I would make fruit trays. Easier by far, easier to store and serve, and the leftovers are more usable. Use the amounts on the fruit tray page.
Joseph
07/10/10
Ellen,

This site looks very helpful! My fiance and I are planning on serving fruit and vegetable trays (from costco). They are 4 lbs. in wieght, so how many trays would we need to feed 200 people buffet style dining? I saw in an earlier post of 4-6 oz. per person with fruit? Would that also apply for vegetables? And another side note--we're also serving trays of shrimp and meat/cheese/crackers and turkey wrap sandwiches. So would that decrease the amount of fruit and veggies that we need to purchase if people are eating those other items? Thank you for your help!

ellen
07/11/10
Use the fruit numbers as is, get half the weight in vegetables and you will be about right.
Tiffany
07/16/10
Grapes, cheese & Crackers for 550 people
We're doing trainings for 550 managers, 55 people at a time. We want to have grapes, cheese & crackers available for the managers at the tables they will be at. They will only be in the training room for 45 minutes at a time (so they won't have a lot of time to eat). Thank you for your help!
ellen
07/16/10
I would do 2-3 ounces of cheese, 3 ounces of grapes and 2 ounces of crackers per person.
Alex
07/29/10
how many pound strawberry need to feed 300 people?
Alex
07/29/10
what would be the best appetizer to serve at a wedding of 150 people?
ellen
07/29/10
Alex, a quart of strawberries weighs about a pound and a half and easily serves 8 people; 10 if they are cut up, as for strawberry shortcake.

For 150 people, you need 6 to 8 different appetizers, basically 1 serving of each per person for the hour or so while they wait for the bride and groom. Selection depends on the budget and available cooking facilities.

Amanda
08/02/10
Hello Ellen,

I am doing a teacher appreciation breakfast to start off the school year. Serving 75 teachers...muffins, bagels and cream cheese, granola bars, fruit, yogurt, juices, water and coffee. Can you please help me determine how much. I don't have a clue!! Thank you so much!

ellen
08/03/10
See the breakfast planning page, the fruit tray page and the beverage planning page, use 3/4 the amount for 100. Add some string cheese packets and a couple dozen hard-cooked eggs for non-sweet protein. Try an estimate, post it, and I will check it for you.
Michelle
08/14/10
Breakfast fr teachers
Hello Ellen,

I am doing a teacher appreciation breakfast to start off the school year. Serving 160 teachers...muffins,fruit, yogurt, juices, water and coffee. Can you please help me determine how much stuff i should buy! THANKS YOU!

ellen
08/14/10
Use the beverage planning page for the coffee juice and water. Use the fruit tray page for the fruits. 2 muffins each if regular size and several kinds. Yogurt in small cups, 1.3 per person. I would add a few dozen hard-boiled eggs and a couple pounds of string cheese for proteins.
johnnye
08/16/10
Fresh fruit for wedding for 150 people
ellen
08/16/10
Fruit tray page button at top of cook talk. 6 times the tray for 25 or 1 1/2 times the amount for 100.
Richelle Adams
08/25/10
fresh fruit tray for300 people
How many pounds of strawberries, watermelon, grapes for 300 people
ellen
08/25/10
All at once or as three separate things? See the fruit tray page for specifics on how much- you want to end up with 4-5 ounces of edible fruit per person.
hil
08/26/10
fresh grapes for 100people
how many pounds of grapes and cherries would I need for 100 people?
ellen
08/26/10
The fruit tray page gives amounts per 100 for both single fruits and mixed fruit presentations, you want 3 times the amounts for 100
ellen
08/26/10
I think you posted twice. You want to end up with about 4 ounces per person if this is a dessert or snack portion.
Janelle
08/31/10
Watermelon for 250 people
How many 6lb (average weight) watermelons for 250 people? We are serving a BBQ style lunch and this is the only fruit we are serving.
ellen
08/31/10
If this is an outside party with self service and the melons are nice and cold, I allow 1 pound whole per person for the usual mixed crowd.
Janelle
08/31/10
It is outside - self serve. We are also serving pulled pork, pulled beef, veggie burgers, baked beans, potato salad, chips and cookies.
ellen
08/31/10
I think that's good-
Molly
09/11/10
Hi! Im making steak,shrimp and chicken kabobs for 100 people how much meat do you suggest I get?
ellen
09/11/10
1 pound shrimp per each 4-5 people PLUS 1 pound steak per each 4 people PLUS 1 pound boneless chicken per each 4 people. Brine the chicken before skewering.
Barbara
10/07/10
veggie tray for 125 people
I need to know how much to buy for the tray, such as carrot, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. for 125 servings.
ellen
10/08/10
Explained in detail on the veggie tray page. If you want to post your estimate, you can, and I will check it, but tell me what other foods are being served with it, as this can affect amounts.
Ana
10/08/10
Hi Ellen!!I need your expertise!!
Tomorrow for my son's football game I need to know how to do this!! He is 10 and plays in the 100's lbs division, well, I got halftime watermelon duty and I have no idea how many watermelons do I need to buy to serve 50 people two triangles each placed in ziploc baggie...They will be kept in an iced cooler and fed to the team and coaches at halftime.
ellen
10/09/10
I would allow 1/2 pound whole per person. People like watermelon, and I usually suggest a pound, but this is a time and quantity limited situation.
Nicole
10/10/10
vegetable tray for 550 people
Hello,
I have to prepare veggie platters for 550 people for a lunch next weekend. Sandwiches,pickles and sheet cakes will also be served.
I saw your plan for 25-30 so thought to use the following:
18lbs.cauliflower,36 bell peppers,18qts grape tomatos,18lbs.carrots,36 cukes,9lbs.celery, 9lbs brocolli,9lbs.mushrooms,9lbs.sugarsnap peas. Am I close?
ellen
10/10/10
If I were doing this menu for 550, I would do 5 of the large relish trays at the top of the veggie tray page PLUS 12 times the veggie tray for 25, for improved variety. Keep in mind that for 550 people for a single meal. you need 10 serving lines.
ellen
10/10/10
If I did just veggie tray, I would do 18-20 times the tray, but watch your multiplication- for example, that is 2 POUNDS of peppers per 25, not 2 peppers only.

And don't forget the dressing/dip.

Nicole
10/12/10
Thanks so much for your help, unfortunately the menu is not changeable but I will double check my math. I started with a base of 30 people not 25 as approx. 100 are children. I am a volunteer, not a business so I appreciate your input.
Iris Sheridan
10/21/10
Baked vegetables,
I would like to be able to prepare potatoes, pumkin and sweet potatoes, also greens the day before Christmas. How do I preserve them from going off. Thanking you. Iris.
ellen
10/21/10
Potatoes. only if they are scalloped, and you still should bake day of. Or freezable, holdable mashed, see the recipe. Refrigerate to store.

Sweet potatoes, you can cook as if canned, but still need to bake on the toppings day of. Refrigerate to store. Neither potato does well if simply baked and then reheated.

Pumpkin? Pies? Can be made day ahead but need to be refrigerated.

Have never done greens day before...

sharon
10/23/10
fresh fruit for 300 people in dec w/breakfast
I am having a party for about 300 with a full breakfast . How much fruit do i need for this party and what are the best fruit to include.It will be a buffet breakfast in December.
ellen
10/23/10
See the fruit tray page- post any specific questions.
Lisa
10/28/10
Ellen,

About how many chocolate pies will it take to feed 50 people? I am also making banana pudding and don't know how much of that to make either.

Ellen
10/28/10
how much fresh fruit with a different types of fresh fruit to serve a fruit salad for 120 people
ellen
10/28/10
Lisa, small 8 inch pies, I would make 6 and cut 8 pieces (small), then also 1/2 cup pudding per person Many people will take both.

Ellen, see the fruit tray page and the plan for 100 page.

Jade Graves
10/31/10
Cheese Ball
I need to make pimento cheese ball(s) for an event with 100 people. I understand that the average recipe makes 1 - 1/2 lbs. Should I multiply the recipe by 5, 7 or even 10?
ellen
11/01/10
You want at least 10 pounds, and 12-14 would not be too much, especially if it is the only cheese.
Heidi
11/13/10
Cooked sliced carrots for 40
How many carrots will I need to serve 40 people. Will buy whole ones, plan on cutting them myselve.
ellen
11/14/10
9 pounds, 10 if it is the only vegetable.
Sandra
12/02/10
Question about fruit
We are having a Christmas breakfast with a cassrole, cinnimon rolls and I would like have a small clump of grapes. How many pounds of grapes do I need to feed 400 people?
Thanks, Sandie
ellen
12/02/10
About 90-100 pounds.
jules
12/04/10
how many people can you feed with a 5kg watermelon?
ellen
12/05/10
If I remember correctly, that is about 11 pounds; It feeds a dozen people big slices, twice that many for fruit tray servings.
Denise
12/13/10
update
Wraps are very popular now. How many wraps
should I make for about 20-25 people? I plan to serve a variety, i.e. beef, turkey and ham, all with Dijon or honey mustard, lettuce and tomato slices.
ellen
12/14/10
Under fruit trays? Oh well. Allow 1 1/2 wraps per person for standard size, make 1/2 beef, the rest half turkey and 1/2 ham.
laura
01/14/11
for 150 people.. a wedding reception..
hello,
i am getting married in september i am preparing my own or d'heuvres and dessets for 150 people.
i am concerend aout the amount of ordheauvres. i plan on doing a veggi platter of brocoli, carrots, green and red peper, celery and mushrooms, how much do i need?

as for a fruit platter of strawberries, raseberries, watermoelon, cantelop and honey du melon, how much would i need?

approximatly how many dozen cookies would i need as well, hopefuly you can respond via my email, thank you!

ellen
01/15/11
The amounts are fully covered on the fruit tray and veggie tray page. I would add cheese tray, or a hot dip.
ellen
01/15/11
You want 1 of each kind of cookie up to four, for each person.
Murphy
01/17/11
I am making a ROASTED vegetable buffet with cheese wedges, crackers and fresh fruit for 200 people for an afternoon party. Also cupcakes for dessert. How many lbs of veggies, fruit and how many cupcakes do I need?
ellen
01/17/11
Veggies are the same per the veggie tray page, whether roasted or not, less 10% due to the afternoon time. Potatoes, turnips, yams etc weigh out like carrots. For the fruit trays , use two of the the fruit trays for 100, less 10% due to the afternoon time. 12-15 pounds cheese per 100. 220 cupcakes, some people will take 2 and you need to have a few left on the tray.
Hon
01/20/11
how many pounds of cookies for 200 people
Hi and help!!! I have to bake cookies for a wedding of approx. 200 people. I am charging for these cookies by the pound and don't know how many POUNDS to make.
Can you help me with this? PS - I have 4 weeks from today!
ellen
01/20/11
Yes. You want to make small cookies (about 4 bites); and 1 of each flavor, up to 4. So make a batch of each, weigh a serving (the 4 cookies) and multiply times 200. Most likely you will be in the 60 pound range.
Shannon Rucker
02/01/11
valentines buffet for approx.120 people
I am doing a dessert buffet for 120+ people. There will be candy such as M&ms, rock candy, ribbon candy, lollypops, marsh mellow pops, then there will be all miniatures 3 different cupcakes, 3 different truffles, 2 different whoopi pies, petit fours, meringue kisses, and choc cups with tangerine mousse, coconut fudge, cool cherry cream pies, montelimer, and a choc fountain with fruit. I was wondering how many of each miniature dessert I would need being there are so many? Thank you so much for your help.
Michelle
02/28/11
I'm having a reception of about 40-50 people and was wondering how much fruit, veggies, cheese and crackers, chips and dip, and mini sandwiches/wraps I would need. Thank you for your help.
ellen
02/28/11
Shannon, I am so sorry I missed this, hope you found the dessert planning page. Next time, please start a new thread- this is not a fruit and veggie tray question...

Michelle, How long is the reception, what time of day, and will alcohol be served? All affect the amounts needed. Please write back.

Melissa D. SC
03/10/11
Fresh strawberries for Strawberry Shortcake
Hello Ellen,
How many pounds of fresh strawberries would you suggest to purchase for 130 guests for individ. strawberry shortcakes w/ the little cake cups or possibly just slices of pound cake?
ellen
03/10/11
1 quart per each 8 people.
Sharon
03/18/11
How many strawberries
How many strawberries do I need to make strawberry short cake...for a group of 36 people...?
Thanks Sharon
ellen
03/18/11
same as above = 4 to 5 quarts
Lori
04/03/11
How many gallons of carrots would I need to feed 120 people?
ellen
04/03/11
Cooked, about 4 gallons.
millie
04/08/11
punch and finger foods
My son and soon to be daughter n law will be getting married soon and we are doing finger foods for the wedding. I need to know what kind of finger foods would be good to make and how much punch/food to make to cater 200 people. Thanks
millie
04/08/11
punch and finger foods
My son and soon to be daughter n law will be getting married soon and we are doing finger foods for the wedding. I need to know what kind of finger foods would be good to make and how much punch/food to make to cater 200 people. Thanks
ellen
04/09/11
Hi, Millie,

I see you posted on 2 threads. As I said on the other one, I need to know what time the ceremony and reception are, as people eat twice as much at mealtimes as they do mid-afternoon or late evening. Also, what are your kitchen, stove/oven and refrigeration resources at the site, as this affects what foods you can make and hold.The beverage planning page has beverages of all kinds per 100. At a wedding with the cake, you want dinner coffee as well as the punch.

sue
04/13/11
My daughter is getting married and I am serving cheese and crackers for about 300 people. I'm not sure how much cheese to purchase. Please help!!
Thanks
ellen
04/13/11
Sue, it depends on what else is offered as appetizers. If only cheese and crackers, 16-20 pounds cheese, including logs and spreads plus 8 pounds crackers PER 100.
Kathy
04/26/11
fruit kabobs
Ellen, I am making fruit kabobs for 250 with cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries, grapes & pineapple chunk. The skewers are about 5" long so am figuring putting on one of each fruit. How much do I need of each fruit to accomplish this? Thank you so much.
ellen
04/26/11
On the fruit tray page, it tells you how many pieces of a particular fruit you get from one standard one. Use this to figure your total. Of course, strawberries come in a huge variation of sizes, so you need to get with your produce guy/gall to figure how many to a quart, which is about 11 ounces.
Paula
05/02/11
Im having gradustion party for 300. How many quarts of strawberries do I need? Thank You!
ellen
05/02/11
Depends on what they are being used for. I allow 1 quart per 8 for strawberry shortcake, for example.
Paula
05/02/11
Fresh Strawberries & Dip
I want to serve fresh strawberries & dip for 300 people.
ellen
05/02/11
OK, that would be plenty for that task.
Marilyn
05/03/11
I am making a fresh vegetable tray for about 200 guests for my grandaughter's graduation how many pounds or bunches of each (carrots,cukes,cauliflower,broccoli,radishes, green peppers, red peppers, etc.) do I need to make up the trays. Thank you Marilyn
ellen
05/03/11
Marilyn, this is covered in detail on the veggie tray page. If you want to post your estimate, I will be happy to check it for you.
kathy
05/10/11
how much fruit to serve 300 people from a confirmation service . We have cheese & meat trays plus fruit and punch
we figued 1/2 cup per person.
How many watermelon,honeydew,pineapple, cantaloupe and how many pounds of grapes, red and green, and strawberries
kathy
05/10/11
how much fruit to serve 300 people from a confirmation service . We have cheese & meat trays plus fruit and punch
we figued 1/2 cup per person.
How many watermelon,honeydew,pineapple, cantaloupe and how many pounds of grapes, red and green, and strawberries
ellen
05/10/11
Kathy, use the deluxe fruit tray for 100 on the fruit tray page, make 2 1/2 to 3 times the amounts for 100- more if at lunchtime, less if later afternoon/evening.
ms r.
05/19/11
strawberry tasting for at least 120 people
Im having an independent strawberry social. im not sure how many desserts i should serve. i dont want to run out because i am saling tickets. how many strawberries should i get. should i make 2 of each(dessert)... need your advice.
ellen
05/19/11
I use one quart of strawberries to make 8 strawberry shortcakes.
Tiffany
05/22/11
Hey Ellen, well I have a problem? See I have to make fruit salad, and there has to be every types of fruits in it, and the party is not till thursday. What should I do? And I also have another question. I have an assignment that's about cantaloupe and bananas.

Question: How many Bananas weigh the same as one Cantaloupe?

2 cantaloupes = 1 grapefruit + 1 banana
1 grapefruit= 5 bananas

Can please help me??

Tiffany
05/22/11
Ellen???????? :S :O :(
ellen
05/22/11
Tiffany, you can't make fruit salad 4 days ahead unless it is the frozen type in creamy dressing with canned fruits. See the fruit tray page.

Cantaloupes don't all weight the same, bananas have many different sizes, I don't understand the intention of the question?

Nancy
05/26/11
How much fruit and veggies for 200 people
ellen
05/26/11
Nancy, seer the fruit tray page and the veggie tray page for raw and the cooked veggie listing on the plan for 100 page for cooked. Amounts are affected by what it is used for and what else is on the menu.
Tara
05/27/11
Can a cantaloupe weigh the same as a banana??
Tara
05/27/11
How much does a cantaloupe actually weigh?? Banana??
ellen
05/28/11
Cut it out. Go to the store and weigh some.
Tara
05/29/11
well you dnt have to be so rude.... at least b nice to me
Elaine Sanford
06/01/11
Need to know how many watermelons, cantelope, grapes and blueberries i will need ford 125 people
ellen
06/02/11
See the fruit tray page. Amounts discussed in detail.
tabby
06/02/11
watermellons
How many watermellons am i going to need to serve about 100 people for my brothers graduation party??
Corene
06/02/11
how many fresh mixed veggies for 150 people
How many califlowers, broccoli, carrots, green peppers, raddishes, and celery do I need for a party of 150 people?
ellen
06/03/11
Tabby, if it is the only dessert, 80-100 pounds. If it is part os a fruit tray, or one of several desserts, about 40 pounds.

Connie, amounts for veggie trays are discussed in detail on the veggie tray page. If you want to post your estimate, I will be glad to check it for you.

MaryAnn
06/09/11
Crackers & Cheese Tray
Help! Need an answer asap please
As the only appetizer prior to a full course meal, how much cheese (sliced & cubed) and crackers should I purchase for approx. 80 adults & 25 kids (6-12yrs.old)?
.....Thank you much
ellen
06/09/11
Let me suggest you add grapes- 2 ounces per person- or strawberries- 2 per person

1 ounce per kid, 2-3 ounces per adult cheese
1 1/2 ounces per person crackers

Linda
06/10/11
fruits
how much grapes and strawberries do i need to serve 80 peoples at wedding reception?
ellen
06/11/11
Assuming this is an appetizer or side dish, 2-3 ounces grapes and about 3 strawberries per person (1 quart for about 8).
dianne coulter
06/14/11
i have gotten 15lbs of frozen fruit for my son's graduation party wich will have 200 people is that enough fruit ??? Also i got 480 1/4 size meatballs but hi not sure how much sauce i will need ...could you please help me thank you
ellen
06/14/11
Hi, Dianne, it is usual to allow 1 pound fruit for each 5 people. Sauce is about 1 quart per 6 pounds meat or meat balls.
dianne
06/15/11
Ellen thank you so much .
Janet
06/16/11
fruit kabobs
I am serving fruit kabobs for 70. Can I do them the day before? I thought the kabobs would move the buffet line along faster.
ellen
06/16/11
Most fresh fruits don't hold well if punctured the day ahead- pineapple is about the only one that does- and you could not use berries at all unless added day of. Consider fruit trays, which can be done ahead, provided the berries are added day of; or a salad with frozen fruits; or using the 9 ounce clear plastic cups that are used for wine, to make trays of fruit cups. See the fruit tray page for more ideas.
Judy
06/21/11
How big of a cheese platter will I need for 80
I need ideas for a cheese/ fruit platter and a veggie platter for 80 after a mass reception. The people usualy stay for 1/2 hr or less in the course of a 1/ and 1/2 hr. reception
ellen
06/21/11
How about a relish tray instead of a veggie platter? Do one of the classic relish tray for 60 on the veggie page. About 5 pounds of cheese- part can be logs or spreads, if you have 4-5 pounds crackers. 3 of the pineapple fruit tray for 25 on the fruit ray page, or 3/4of either of the trays for 100.
mrs.smith
06/30/11
How many pounds of mixed berries would I need for fifty people? It would be for about 2 hours with sliced strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries.
ellen
06/30/11
Mrs. Smith, what are you doing with the berries? What else will they be served with? For example, for a berry shortcake, I allow 1 quart per 8 people.
Mrs.smith
07/01/11
The berries would be set out by themselves served with small sandwiches and a vegetable tray.
ellen
07/02/11
OK, you will need some cups and spoons, as the blueberries and sliced strawberries can't be eaten with fingers. Or you could leave the strawberries whole and skip the blueberries, and then it could be done with no cups. Allow 3-4 ounces by weight for each person.
Marshall
07/25/11
If you were serving 600 people, what kind of meat would you suggest that most everyone would like?
ellen
07/25/11
Roast beef with a backup if you are rich, chicken if you are not. Plus LOTS of help and experience; this is a major undertaking.
Trent
07/25/11
how many people does Fruit Kheer serve
trent
07/25/11
fruit kheer is a pudding
ellen
07/25/11
I love kheer. 1/2 cup (4 ounces) per person is the minimum serving, and 6 ounces or 3/4 cup iss not too much.
trent
08/06/11
how do you make kheer from india
ellen
08/07/11
Trent there is a lot of info on kheer on the web, many variations,includes good recipes. Put kheer in your google search and do some looking.
nicole
08/07/11
bbq wingettes
I am having a party for 50 to 60 people what is best to buy and how. Much to purchase?
ellen
08/07/11
I usually allow 1/2 pound raw wing pieces per person, unless there are quite a few other meat appetizers. No advice on the flavors- it varies from place toplace and crowd to crowd.
Lesia Ramey
08/17/11
how do I calculate the amount of fruit,vegis,dips,crackers,cheese,chips,and cold sliced meats would I need to feed a 100 people...thank you so much...please can you help
ellen
08/17/11
Lesia, this depends on the time of day, the type of event, the length of the event; for example, is it an hour of snacks before dinner (light) or an end of workday get together (heavy) or a full meal (very heavy). Also the approximate menu, for example, meatballs and shrimp? Please send more information.
Lesia Ramey
08/17/11
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for100 people
Thanks ellen ..the foods i mentioned are whats being served and it is for a wedding reception..so i dont know if that would be light or heavy...do you have any ideas? If it is a wedding reception with these finger foods would it be heavy? As far as the time that hasnt been set yet. Thanks you are the greatest!!!
ellen
08/17/11
If the wedding is at 1 or 2 PM with the reception to follow, yu will use about 1/2 the food you will need if it is at 11-12 or 5-6. Setting the time wisely can really help the food budget. When you know, write back and I can help.
Lesia Ramey
08/19/11
OK I finally got it...weddinga at 5pm followed with reception ...???
ellen
08/20/11
OK, that requires a full dinner's worth of food per person, even if you are using appetizer type food.

fruit, use the deluxe fruit tray for 100 or equivalent weight in other fruit
veggies, Use one classic relish tray and regular veggie tray with dip for 50, see the veggie tray page
dips,chips- 2 dips, about 7 quarts each; 8-10 pounds chips
crackers,cheese, 15-20 pounds cheese, some slices, some balls or logs; 6-8 pounds crackers
cold sliced meats- see the sandwich page, use amounts for meal, not reception
Add 120 regular or 200 small rolls and condiments per the sandwich page, people will make sandwiches.

You could use a nice dessert bar (cookies and brownies, in addition to the cake.

shelley
08/27/11
how many pounds of grapes for 400 guest
Doing grapes, strawberries, cubed cheese and crackers for 400 guest. How many pounds of each do I ned!
ellen
08/27/11
Shelley, what is the event and what else is being served? Is this an appetizer before a meal, or a freestanding appetizer, and if it is freestanding, what time of day and how long is the party. More info, please.
Jeanie
08/31/11
Ellen,
I REALLY need your help! I wrote a post and it disappeared. Maybe on purpose? But I will try again just in case it was an accident.
Because of the finances I have to do my own daughters wedding reception and I do not have a clue on how much of each thing to have there.
The wedding is at 3:30.
I will have chicken salad, tuna salad, ham salad and pimento cheese salad with crackers.
A vegetable tray with dip, and morrocco salad in a punch bowl (broccoli/cauliflower salad).
Mixed fruits in a pineapple half with fruit dip.
Pear halves stuffed with creamcheese/walnut mixture.
Sweet and sour meat balls.
A fancy cookie and chocolate candy bar.
Punch and a wedding cake.
I need amounts on the meats, crackers,fruit, pear halves, meatballs, veggies and morrocco salad.
I would REALLY appreciate it if you could look it over and give me an educated guess. It scares me to even TRY to guess and I need to start buying stuff. PLEASE!!!! : )
Jeanie
08/31/11
Sorry, I forgot to tell you, 200 people at the wedding reception. Thank you.
ellen
08/31/11
Jeannie, as I said on that threas, I pulled your question out to iys own threas abs answered it yesterday, See

Wedding reception for 200 amounts of food to make

jeanie
09/01/11
I am so sorry. I honestly don't know a lot about computers. I am trying to look deeper into your website to find where you said to look. I will ask my daughter (a lot younger and smarter) to see if she can find it. Thank you for your patience!
I don't understand iys own threas abs but I do understand wedding reception for 200 amounts of food to make. (now I REALLY soun stupid
Lee
09/14/11
I am doing a wedding for 300 people. We are having Meatballs, Mini Quiche, Assorted Mini Sandwiches, and Spinich Pastry Triangles. We are also doing a table with fruits, vegetables and cheese and crackers - do I need to use the estimates on your website for the entire 300 for each type of item (ex fruit for 300, vegetables for 300, cheese and crackers for 300??) or do I cut this back?
Thank you for any help you can give me.
ellen
09/14/11
See teh wine and cheese page for info on how to calculate the cheese. Yes, you need full amounts for the fruits and for the veggies. I would do 4 ounces meatballs, 2 quiches, 2 spinach and 3-4 finger sandwiches per person if it is a mealtime gathering.
Sue
09/20/11
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 85 people
How much fruit & vegetables would I need for a party of 85 people. This will be for a fruit tray and vegetable tray. I need to know right away.
ellen
09/21/11
The fruit tray page and the vegetable tray page have very specific instructions. Do 3/4 to 7/8 the amount for 100, depending on what else is being served.
Anice
09/21/11
How many strawberries do I need to make strawberry short cake for 200 people?
ellen
09/21/11
Allow 1 quart per 8 people for generous berry topping.
CRISTINA COELHO
09/23/11
I'm in charge of the 14-Week Club Fund Raiser Dinner at my Church. We will have anywhere from 320-350 people. We want to have a cheese, cracker, dip, fruit and dip table for guests to nibble on as they come in before they are served dinner. How do I figure out how much to buy of each? Please advise.

Thanks ever so much for your help!

Cristina Coelho

CRISTINA COELHO
09/23/11
I'm in charge of the 14-Week Club Fund Raiser Dinner at my Church. We will have anywhere from 320-350 people. We want to have a cheese, cracker, dip, fruit and dip table for guests to nibble on as they come in before they are served dinner. How do I figure out how much to buy of each? Please advise.

Thanks ever so much for your help!

Cristina Coelho

ellen
09/24/11
This is not a difficult plan. You want about 2 ounces of cheese (a bit more if there are several kinds), 1-2 ounces crackers, 1-2 ounces chips, 1/3 cup dip (or 1/4 cup each for 2 or more), 5-6 pieces of edible fruit (see the fruit tray page for help on how much fruit to buy to get the desired number of pieces) plus 1/4 cup fruit dip per person.
ivonne
12/09/11
fresh fruit and cheese tray for 120 wedding guests
i have to make a fruit stand and a cheese display as part of appetizers for 120 guests and i am soo confused how much do i need ,this is being used as appetizers with meatballs,jerk wings as well i know weird but thats what the bride requested..pls help asap thx
ellen
12/09/11
This is very normal. Make the deluxe fruit tray for 100 on the fruit tray page and do about 14 pounds of cheese with 6-8 pounds of crackers.
toya
01/02/12
i want a bouquet of white chocolate covered strawb
I want a bouquet of white chocolate covered starwberries as my center peices I stay in portland Or do you have any ideas where I can get that done at for a great price
ellen
01/03/12
Go to your local branch of chowhound.com and post this question.
Linners
01/03/12
Booyah
I'm making booyah for 200 people. I would like to serve some type of bread and a dessert with this also, and do it really cheap! Any suggestions?
ellen
01/03/12
For dessert, dump cake, bread pudding with day old bread, or cobbler. For bread, either garlic bread or cornbread if you have the ovens.
Josee
01/25/12
salad as a main dish for dinner
Hi Ellen,

Thank you for being such a resourceful person! I appreciate your site immensely. I was asked to cater a dinner (working dinner) and they are requested mixed green salads with chicken. The salad is the main course (they are not asking for anything else). This is for 30 people, what am I looking at portion wise? How many lbs of greens and chicken do I need?

Thanks again!
Josee

ellen
01/26/12
6 ounces raw chicken breast per person. Put 2 ounces sliced or cubed cheese with it, and 1/2 deviled egg. About 4 ounces of greens- depends on the type of green- get some of what you want to use and plate it and measure.
Emily
02/21/12
I am looking to serve a cheese and crackers, fresh berries (strawberries, blackberries, bluberries, raspberries and grapes) along with breads and dipping sauces at my reception to keep costs down, could you help me determine how much I need of each, and how much dipping sauces? I plan on having many different varities of the dipping sauce in bottles that the guests can self pour into a small dish. I will be serving 80 or so people, thanks so much!
ellen
02/21/12
Emily, this depends on what time of day the reception is, how long it lasts and what else is being served, You need to write back, and please do start anew thread, you can call it Emily's Berry nice reception.

You don't want bottles, you want gravy boats or bowls withy ladles, the bottles are way too slow for buffet sertvice.

Melissa
02/22/12
I am having a birthday party hosting 100 people. I am getting a few things catered, but supplying the salad and fruit salad myself. I plan on getting these items from Sam's Club, which sells mixed lettuce by the 2.5 lb bag and mixed fruit also comes in a 2.5 lb serving. How many of each would you recommend for 100 people? Thank you!
ellen
02/22/12
12-14 pounds of salad, 25 of fruit if you expect everyone to have some (they usually do).
karey
03/14/12
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 50 people
I need to make platters for 50 people. Light supper with ham, cheese and chicken and fruit/veg. grapes,carrots,pineapples,cucumbers,cherry tomatoes.melon, watermelon
ellen
03/14/12
Use the fruit tray page for 50 and the veggie tray page for 50.
Sandra
03/20/12
vegetable tray for 200 people
Need to know how many pounds of vegetables I need for 200 people to make a relish tray.
ellen
03/21/12
Go to the veggie tray page, do 3 times the classic relish tray for 60.
Karen
04/29/12
fresh fruit tray for 100 people
Doing a Living Simply women's brunch, planning for 100. In staying with theme, ("living on a shoestring") will be serving watermelon, cantaloupe & grapes. Can you give me amounts and/or other suggestions for types of fruit?
ellen
04/29/12
The fruit tray page has counts on how many bites of fruit you get from a pound or a single piece of fruit and lists many different kinds, a swell as usual amounts for 25 to 100.
Steve
04/29/12
I'm helping a friend prep 5-10 individual fruit platters for her clients breakfast. I was thinking about throwing some berries, melon, grapes and apples but not quite sure how much of each I should buy. Can you help me out? Also, do you think we should get bagels too? I've read your previous post, but wanted to send this to see if you can help with my specific need.
ellen
04/30/12
Steve, the fruit tray page carefully outlines amounts of fruits for trays. Apples need to be sliced into 1/4's or 1/6's and dipped in pineapple or orange juice or Fruit Fresh, or they turn brown.
Diane
05/03/12
Fruit filled waffle cones
We are planning my daughters beach themed wedding and she has requested as one of the appetizer waffle cones filled with fruit. What fruit would hold up well in May and how much would I need of each.
ellen
05/03/12
This is an impractical choice. The only possible way would be to have the fruit salad and the cones separate and let people fill their own; the waffle cones can't hold up to even 1/2 hour fruit-filled.

You can use the fruit tray page for fruit ideas and amounts- it would need about 3 ounces per person of fruit.

Brittney
06/05/12
Assortment of appetizers for 125 people
I am helping my sister plan her wedding. We are planning an appetizer reception at a non-mealtime for 125 people. We will have smoked salmon, veggie trays with dip, fruit with a chocolate fountain, and crackers with cheese. There will also be mints, nuts, and cake for everyone. I having been looking through your awesome resources and I'm not sure how to put everything together, or if the amounts will be changed because we're offering so many things. Help!
ellen
06/05/12
Here are some amounts and a few suggestions.

smoked salmon, 1 pound per 5. You also need cream cheese, 1 ounce per person, capers, and some nice tiny cocktail breads, mini bagels or rolls- 8-12 pounds per 100
veggie trays with dip, see veggie tray page
fruit with a chocolate fountain, full details on the chocolate fountain page
crackers with cheese- 20 pounds, some can be dips or balls/logs. 8 pounds crackers per 100

If you have many children, have a dip or spread they would like as a sandwich bite, they are not salmon eaters- chicken salad? egg salad? ham salad? Pizza bites?

mints, nuts, 8 pounds each

cake- just remember that the estimates on serving size for wedding cakes are really small. With this reception-time party, you might consider adding an assortment of small desserts, or cookies and bars, at the chocolate fountain- people do love their sweets.

If this saves you time or trouble, consider a donaton to support the site.

Michelle
06/18/12
I am having a chocolate fountain at my wedding reception. The cost for the foods to dip in the fountain is too high if I get it from the caterer, so I am buying the foods myself. For 200 people, what is the quantity I should get of the following?

strawberries
pineapple
cherries
apples or bananas
marshmallows
pretzels
rice krispy treats
brownies
assorted cookies

ellen
06/19/12
See the article on chocolate fountains.
Jen
06/23/12
We are having a dessert after my twins get baptized. We will be serving strawberry shortcake. How many strawberries do I need for 100 people?
ellen
06/23/12
1 quart per 8.
Mamie Sanchez
08/15/12
NEED TO SERVE 100 PEOPLE OF FRUIT AND VEGGIE. How much do I need to buy?
ellen
08/15/12
See the fruit tray page and the veggie tray page for exact help on amounts.
charlotte O'Bryen
10/01/12
Xmas puddings
Please help i am making xmas puddings-approx how many people can i feed on a 3 lb pudding. thanks
ellen
10/01/12
10-12, depending on if they are being polite and whether you add sauce or ice cream.
xavier
10/19/12
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 75 people
How much fruit feed 75 ppl 20 are teenagers
ellen
10/19/12
Do the fruit tray on the fruit ray page, at least 3/4 the amount for 100.

For the veggie tray, see the veggie tray page, be sure to have ranch dressing for dip.

Norma
02/24/13
how much fruit/kabobs for a wedding of 120 people
need to make fruit kabobs for 120 people for a wedding, and cheese trays.
ellen
02/24/13
Norma, these are fine, but they are fiddly, and because of the handling of the fruit, they don't hold very well and the left overs get pretty limp. Please consider doing the deluxe fruit tray for 100 from the fruit tray page; easier prep, looks lovely, and the left overs keep better. You could do some kabobs for decoration-

Cheese trays, if it is as an appetizer, about 1 pound of cheese per 10, part can be logs or spreads, and 6-8 pounds crackers per 100.

mario guerrera
03/19/13
fresh fruit and vegetable trays for 50 people
I am feeding 45 to 50 people veggie and fruit platters...fruit and veggies are not my forte...i usually do pizza and pasta...how much should i charge per person and quantity of fruit and veggies? Thanks
ellen
03/19/13
You don't say what event for, whether appetizers or side dishes, etc. Consider 1/2 the deluxe fruit tray for 1010 from the fruit tray page or 1 classic relish tray from the veggie tray page.
elaine
05/12/13
we are serving mixed fruit (watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, & pineapple) for about 120 people, and wondering how much we should buy for each. with this meal we will also have chicken, slaw, and potato salad, a cheese platter, and other appetizers.
ellen
05/12/13
Look on the fruit tray page. You need 6-8 bites of fruit per person, and there is a table telling exactly how many pieces you get from various types and sizes of fruit.
Angie
06/07/13
hi
Jamie
08/29/13
I need to know how much cheese, vegetables and fruit and dip is needed to serve at a wedding cocktail hour for 150 quest. The wedding is at 4:00 and a dinner of chicken, pork BBQ and pork loin will be served along with BBQ beans and potato salad and a pasta salad. I plan to use cucumbers, celery, broccoli florets and mini carrots on the vegetable tray and will serve apple slices, grapes and pineapple on the fruit trays. Will be serving french onion dip and spinach dip with pita chips and crackers also.
ellen
08/30/13
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 150 people
Nice menu. Hope this helps.

cucumbers, celery, broccoli florets and mini carrots
add cherry tomatoes for color, possibly sliced or mini bell peppers, and dip
You want 4-6 pieces per person, the veggie tray page will give you counts per pound for each item in your final choice of veggies:
www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/appesalad.html

onion dip- 1 cup per 6
spinach dip- 1 cup per 6
pita chips, crackers, total, 10 pounds

apple slices, grapes and pineapple
I would definitely add melons and strawberries, and a dip. See the discussion and guides on the fruit tray page. And be sure to dip the apple slices in fruit fresh or pineapple juice so they don't brown.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/fruit100.html

Cheese tray,
15-18 pounds assorted, some can be logs or balls
crackers or cocktail breads, 9-10 pounds

jose
09/26/13
hi I have event with 100 persons, for a chocolate fountain:
with strawberry, banana, marsmallows, pineapple.
how many pieces of each fruit is good quantity??/
how much chocolate??
ellen
09/26/13
Jose, see the chocolate fountain page for detailed information, button at the top of the main cook talk page.
Christine
11/15/13
Hi I am planning a wine event for 30 pp, the wine expert suggested some fruit and cheese for tasting- is this enough?
5 Pints of Strawberries
5 lbs of Red Grapes
4 lbs of Cheese
4 cantelopes
and then we have some cupcakes and chocolate? Is the fruit enough for 30 women or is it too much?
ellen
11/16/13
Suggest you look at the wine, cheese, and fruit pairing pages on this site. Some dried fruits, apricots, etc, would be a very good addition.

Have 2 pounds of crackers.

4 pints strawberries and 4 pounds grapes are enough.

You might consider bars (lemon, cheesecake) and maybe brownies, rather than cupcakes, they eat easier.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime or quarter per person, to support this site.

Brenda
01/24/14
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 100 people
Have a centential celebration and wondering how much fruit and vegetables it would take to people 1000
ellen
01/24/14
Brenda, 100, or 1000?
Lorraine
02/02/14
Wedding reception with 150 guest.
We are serving ham croissant sandwiches, chicken on rolls sandwiches, potato salad, Ceasar salad, fruit tray and garnishes. Can you help me figure out how much fruit I will need for the fruit tray and the cheese trays.
ellen
02/03/14
The deluxe tray for 100 would be plenty for your 150 guests if you use all the options (fruit tray page).

I strongly suggest you add chips (1 pound per 10) and dip (1/3 cup per person, or 1/4 cup each for two or more dips) and you need a sandwich option for the vegetarians in the group. Could do a cheese tray (about 14 pounds sliced with 8-9 pounds breads and crackers) or about 6 quarts of egg salad...

Carianne Moore
02/07/14
fresh fruit 65 peoples (with 30 kids)
I am serving fresh fruit. 64 "people" total. I'm serving apple slice, pear slices, strawberries diced, grapes, watermelon and clementines. How much would you conclude I would need of each???
Alongside a spaghetti casserole & bread.
ellen
02/07/14
Small kids will eat 2-3 ounces (1 pound per 5 ready to eat). Others, about 1 pound per 3-4. You divide up your fruits by ready to eat weights. Or figure about 6 pieces/bites, where a clementine counts as 2, an apple or pear as 4, a strawberry or 3 grapes as 1, etc.

The fruit tray page will give you counts and weights for various fruits.

MC
05/06/14
I am planning a wedding reception for 200 guests. Planning on doing heavy hors d'oeuvre stations. Station 1 would be fruit, vegetables, cheese and crackers. How much do I need of the below list?

strawberries
watermelon
honeydew
cantalope
grapes
pineapple
berries

cucumber
carrots
grape tomatoes
broccoli
cauliflower
celery

ellen
05/06/14
MC, you need to go to the fruit tray page and the vegetable tray page and make some estimates based on the information there; I can't decide for you whether you want more grapes or strawberries, celery or cucumber; I don't know the prices or tastes of your area. Then if you want to post, I will be glad to check for you.

If you are replacing a mealtime with h'd, you want about 4 ounces fruit and 3 ounces veg per person, ready to eat weights.

Jess
05/12/14
I have read over your fruit tray section; we're doing fruit kabobs for a staff luncheon that will serve roughly 150 people. Will my melons go farther if I make melon balls as opposed to chunks? Or will chunks look better on a kabob than a melon ball?
Thanks!
ellen
05/12/14
Chunks much better- much less waste- they will be slightly wedge shaped. Do consider fruit trays with toothpicks and just a few kabobs for decoration- easier than kabobs, and with berries, you have to do kabobs day of...

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Joanie
05/29/14
I am serving Cantelope , Strawberries and Pineapple for a party graduation party. How much would I need of each to serve 140 people.
Kimberly
05/30/14
70 people
Hi,

I am cooking for a baby naming tomorrow I have 70 people i need to do a fruit, veggie, relish tray, pasta and greek salad's and italain beef. can you tell me what i would need to feed 70 people?

i was told for 70 people 1/4 of a pound for each person for the beef would be enough? can you tell me if that is correct? so liek 18 lbs? does that seem correct?

thank you!

ellen
05/30/14
Joannie, it depend somewhat on what else is being served.
Allow 2 strawberries per person if large, 3 if smaller. A pineapple cuts about 40 pieces. A large cantaloupe cuts about 36 pieces. You want about 6 pieces per person.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

ellen
05/30/14
Kimberly, if I were preparing this party, this is what I would do.

fruit, 2 trays for 25 from the fruit tray page, assuming there will be plenty of desserts also
veggie, 2 simple trays for 25 from the veggie tray page
relish tray, one classic relish tray from the top of the veggie tray page
pasta salad, 5 pounds dry pasta plus add-ins
Greek salad, see recipe this site:
www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/salads1100.html

Italian beef, I start with 1 pound raw per 4 if it will be sandwiches, 2 pounds raw per5 if it will be plated. Rolls, 1 1/2 per person, or 2 smaller.

ray
06/04/14
cheese plate with dark chocolate
Hi Ellen,

I plan to make cheese plate with dark chocolate, what kind of cheese and dark chocolate should i buy to make a good pearing.
Also, How much cheese and chocolate shoud i buy?
how many gram or ounces of cheese or chocolate per person will be appropriate.

Thanks alot for your help

ray
06/04/14
cheese plate with dark chocolate
Hi Ellen,

Sorry, I forgot to mention number of people. I will prepare for 20 people.

Thanks

ellen
06/06/14
These folks can help you, and you can download and print their PDF:

www.eatwisconsincheese.com/assets/pdfs/cheesechocolate.pdf

You will be drooling by the time you get to the end of it. Of course, you can use European rather than Wisconsin, cheeses.

A lovely wine with this would be the Susana Balbo Malbec from Argentina. For 20 people, at least 5 bottles.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks

Lesley
06/29/14
fresh fruit, and cheese and crackers for 150 peopl
I am going to be making fresh fruit trays and cheese and crackers as an appetizer after an outdoor wedding ceremony. There is a full meal a few hours later, but this is to tide people over in the afternoon. How much of each should I purchase for 150 people?
ellen
06/29/14
The deluxe tropical tray for 100 on the fruit tray page is abundant and probably sufficient- you could add some dishes of dried fruits and nuts (1 pound per 8-10 people).
For the veg, How about a classic relish tray and then raw veg and Ranch dip for 50- from the veggie tray page
Cheese, 1 pound per 10-12- some could be spreads or logs
crackes, 6-7 pounds per 100
How about adding hummus,1 cup per 8, plus pita, 1 loaf per 3 cut into 6 wedges; very trendy. Another alternative, a veggie salsa (corn and black bean, for example) or guacamole, 1 cup per 8, plus 1 pound chips per 12.
ellen
06/29/14
The deluxe tropical tray for 100 on the fruit tray page is abundant and probably sufficient- you could add some dishes of dried fruits and nuts (1 pound per 8-10 people).
For the veg, How about a classic relish tray and then raw veg and Ranch dip for 50- from the veggie tray page
Cheese, 1 pound per 10-12- some could be spreads or logs
crackes, 6-7 pounds per 100
How about adding hummus,1 cup per 8, plus pita, 1 loaf per 3 cut into 6 wedges; very trendy. Another alternative, a veggie salsa (corn and black bean, for example) or guacamole, 1 cup per 8, plus 1 pound chips per 12.
Abbey
07/01/14
My sister a in-laws and I are hosting a 50th Anniversary open house for my in-laws. We are serving cake, veggie tray, fruit salad, cheese and crackers, pretzels and punch. I am in charge of the fruit salad and punch. I plan to use watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries and pineapple. What amount of each should I use to make fruit salad for 125? Also, I need a good punch recipe and amount of each item for 125. Thank you.
ellen
07/01/14
Abbey, for the punch recipe, please go to the punch thread and take your choice.

I STRONGLY suggest you do fruit trays instead of fruit salad, prettier, keeps better, easier to eat, and the leftovers are more useful. See the deluxe tropical tray for 100 on the fruit tray page- that would be about right.

Consider adding one interesting dip or spread, hummus is popular right now- about 1 cup per 5-6, 1 ounce pita bread or chips per person.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

joyce
07/16/14
how many gr. peppers for a veggie tray with 5 other veggies
ellen
07/16/14
For 200 people?about 50 peppers.
Becky
07/21/14
Vegitable platter & cheese platter and relish plat
How much vegitables / cheese and pepperoni/ and stuff for relish platter for 140 people do I need
ellen
07/21/14
For 140,

for veggies, use the veggie tray page, plan 5-6 pieces per person, you select what veggies you want. Add Ranch dip.

Cheese, about 1 pound sliced or cubed per 12
Pepperoni, about 1 pound per 15
crackers, 6 pounds per 100 people

Relish platter, do 1 1/2 times the classic relish tray at the top of the veggie tray page

deb
07/26/14
fresh fruit platters for wedding reception of 300
I am making fruit platters for my daughters wedding reception and would like to know how many I should do? also having bbq pulled pork and tri tips. I plan on making a pasta salad, green salad and baked beans. the wedding is at 230 and the reception following with about 275 to 300 guests. Any advice would be so helpful. I probably should of had it catered but I thought it would be cheaper doing it myself:( Thank you
ellen
07/26/14
2 of the deluxe tray for 100 on the fruit tray page would be plenty for this meal. Sub in the available fruits if you don't have or don't want to use all the ones listed.
India
08/07/14
Doing a wedding reception for 200 people. How many pounds of cream cheese balls should make? Will be served with crackers and fresh fruit per your suggested amounts for 200.
ellen
08/10/14
I plan for something between 8-12 pounds per 100, depends on what else is offered. 6 pounds crackers per 100.
Barbara White
03/12/15
fresh fruit and cheese for 75 people
How much fruit & cheese to prepare for 75 people
ellen
03/12/15
Breakfast, appetizer/reception, salad or dessert? If a meal, what else is being served? Write back.
Jackie
03/20/15
Ellen, I know that the pages say 3 ounces of grapes when served with cheese as an appetizer. I am catering a wedding and there will be a "cocktail hour" while pictures are being taken. I am serving veggie and dip shooters along with cheese/crackers/ and grapes. There will be a full dinner served when the wedding party arrives. Will I still need 3 ounces of grapes per person?
ellen
03/20/15
No, good question, no more than 1 pound per 10 people.
Jackie
03/20/15
Thank you so very much. The mother of the bride has been very specific on certain things and wanted to "keep the cost down" as much as possible, but I am from the South and ALWAYS want to have "more than enough". I think I am going to try breaking them into small bunches. This was they are easier to pick up and also a little easier to control the portion. Thanks for your help.
ellen
03/20/15
Exadtly right, 3-4 grapes per bunch.
Anna
04/16/15
Bananas and Strawberries for 120 Pepple
My company is doing a build your own sundae ice cream set up. How many pounds of bananas and strawberries should I purchase to have enough for everyone?
ellen
04/17/15
You need the sundae page:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/sundae100.html

3 pounds bananas is plenty if they are sliced in circles and you have the other toppings. If you are allowing splits, purchase about 1 banana for 5.

For sundaes the strawberry sauce is better than plain strawberries, 8 times the recipe, prepared in batches.

Suzanne
04/19/15
fresh fruit tray for 100 people
Putting on a breakfast for 110 children that will also include GoGurt tubes, bagels and Nutri-Grain bars.
We would also like to have some fresh fruit.
We are think of whole bananas (cut in half), grapes, strawberries and watermelon chunks.
Very confused as to how much we should buy....
HELP PLEASE!
ellen
04/19/15
Age of children? Makes a difference with grapes and berries. Write back.
ellen
04/19/15
By the way, string cheese, very popular with kids, and deviled or even hard-boiled eggs would hike the protein content and improve AM arrention and behavior. Also, if you are doing bagels, get mini bagels. The regular ones are so chewy that it reduces their popularity.
shakya
05/07/15
i am cooking for 200 people so how recipe or portions do i need of a veggie tray
ellen
05/08/15
Use the veggie tray page to make your estimate. You will want about 6 bites per person.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/appesalad.html

Chrissy
06/27/15
I am making a chocolate covered fruit arrangement for 60 people for a baby shower. I will be using 5 or 6 types of fruit(banana, Apple, grapes, pineapple, melon). How much fruit would I need to cut up enough for 60 people to make the arrangement?
ellen
06/27/15
No strawberries? Plan on about 6 pieces per person.
Nate
10/30/15
fresh fruit salad for 200 people
I need to make a fruit salad for 300 people and I am using strawberries, grapes, watermelon and apples. How much of each do i need?
ellen
10/30/15
How does it fit in the menu? Dessert? What other side dishes? Age of group? All affect amounts. Write back.
11/16/15
how many punnets of strawberries are needed to serve 150 people
ellen
11/16/15
What is a punnet?
A quart of strawberries makes a dessert serving for 8.
Doris
01/26/16
fresh fresh strawberries, pineapple & raspberries
Serving 110 people at a card party. How many quarts of strawberries, how many pineapples do I need?
ellen
01/26/16
Doris what else is being served? Write back.
judy
02/11/16
food quanity's for 125 kids and adults
ellen
02/11/16
If you mean for fruit trays and veg trays?

Count kids under 10 as 1/2 adult, and calculate your total "adults".

Then use the fruit tray page and the veggie tray page to figure how much of what you need. For veggies, it works out to 1 pound ready to eat veg per 10-12 (larger amount if stand alone, less if part of a meal) plus 1 pint Ranch dressing per 12. For fruits, 6 pieces/bites of fruit per adult is usually plenty. The fruit tray page tells you how many bites there are in various pieces of fruit.

When you do your calculation, you can post it and I will check it for you.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thank you.

Maxine Reichstein
04/26/16
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 170
50 of these are kids. It is for a day care so lots of restrictions. The menu is fruit trays cantaloupe, watermelon, and /strawberries...how many of each?
Hummus dip...how much

Vegys, carrots, cucs, celery, & cherry toms?? how many
only other thing served is buns and butter, pickles, sausage. It is being served at 2 pm...help please

ellen
04/26/16
170 people, 50 kids is about the same as 150 adults, since the kids eat about 1/2 what the adults do. So I will give you amounts per adult, multiply by 150.

Hummus dip, since midafternoon, 1 cup per 10, 1 pound chips per quart

fruit trays
cantaloupe, cuts 36 pieces, 2 pieces per person
watermelon, each pound cuts 12 pieces, 3 per person
strawberries, 25 per quart 2-3 per person

carrots, cucs, celery, & cherry toms- 2 pieces each per person, throw in some extra carrots. Normally kids and many grownups prefer Ranch dressing type dip, allow 1 cup per 10

Now it's my turn to ask a favor of you!
EllensKitchen.com is remodeling and I want to provide the changes YOU (my readers) have been asking for. So after 18 years of supporting my readers as a hobby, I'm asking you for help. If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site by pressing the masthead above to make the gift. Thank you.

Kelly
05/13/16
Thanks for being awesome Ellen.
Dawnette
06/02/16
fresh fruit, cheese & crackers tray for 300 people
How much fruit, cheese and cracker need to be purchased for 300 guest? 3 types of horsdouvers will be served and passed around within a 1.5 hours.(Receptions after an announcement). Thank you.
ellen
06/02/16
Dawnette, more info:
What time of day? What type of crowd? What hors douvres and how much? Is the fruit, cheese in addition to the other food?
Write back.
Dawnette
06/02/16
It is a an educational reception 2 hrs 30 mins will be announcing their plan which leaves 1.5 hrs to mingle and snack. 4-6pm (meatballs, bruschetta, skewers) low budget.
ellen
06/02/16
OK, you are in some difficulty here, because at 4-6 pm many of your guests will try to eat dinner from the spread. Academic folks are particularly notorious for this! So the usual 6 bites per hour increases to 10+...

meatballs, at least 10 pounds per 100, 3 quarts sauce per 100
bruschetta, 3 pieces per person
skewers, 3 per person

cheese 1 pound per 10, some can be logs or spreads. 6 pounds crackers per 100

fruit tray, 2 1/2 times the deluxe fruit tray for 100 on the fruit tray page, or equivalent amounts

Strongly suggest you add 4 classic relish trays from the top of the veggie tray page

This is probably more than you expected, but it is minimal for these time slots. If you are willing to make the fruit trays yourself, and do cream cheeses logs and rolls, you will save quite a bit.

Cindy
07/19/16
how much fruit salad do I need to serve 450 people for my daughters wedding? She would like the salad to have watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes ,and pineapple. I'm serving shredded beef and a mac salad.
ellen
07/20/16
Please consider doing fruit trays instead, prettier, hold better and the leftovers are more usable. 3 times the deluxe tray for 100 on this site would be a light amount, 4 would be generous. If you use the table on the fruit tray page that shows bites of various whole fruits, you want about 8 bites per person.
Pat
09/01/16
chocolate dipped strawberries
I'm serving fruit skewers and chocolate covered strawberries for 150 people. I need amounts of strawberries and candy coating for the chocolate covered strawberreis
Erika
09/07/16
I'm serving 150 people how much should i serve? I'm giving watermelon, strawberries, pineapples, cantalopes, and grapes.
ellen
09/07/16
Pat, 2 strawberries per person, the amount of chocolate depends on the size of the berries, but about 1/2 cup chips or dipping tabs per 20 strawberries
ellen
09/07/16
Erika, see the fruit tray page. You want 6-8 pieces of fruit per person, and it tells you how many pieces ypu get from each type/size of fruit.
Beth
09/14/16
grapes and carrots for luncheon of 250
I am in charge of a luncheon for a women's conference (250). We are serving chicken salad croissant sandwiches, chips, grapes, carrots & cookies. We were going to cut the grapes into servings sizes (6 to 8 grapes). How much should I buy in grapes and carrots?
ellen
09/22/16
Figure about 8 people per pound for the grapes, and 10-12 for the carrots
Lisa
12/08/16
we are having a meeting at work and we want to provide fresh whole fruit for the employees.
how many pounds of apples, oranges, and bananas should we buy?
ellen
12/10/16
Whole fruits not so popular- seeds, stems, peels. Suggest fruit trays, see the fruit tray page.
Equivalent of 1 1/4 pieces per person, approximately, depends on what else is served.
LISA LANGSTON
03/13/17
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 400 people
I have a 2 hour, 400 guest hors d oeuvres event. How much fruit and veggies do I need to buy? How much ground beef do I need to buy for the meatballs? and how much chicken do I need to buy for nuggets? Thank you
ellen
03/13/17
Lisa, yoiu need 14-16 bites per person, so it depends on the entire menu and the type of event (an event for a college reception versus a cocktail fund raiser for example). I need more info. Write back

You are looking at 40 to 50 pounds of ready to serve small meatballs, 16-20 to the pound. Consider frozen.

Nan
03/20/17
fresh fruits for 300 people
I have to prepare food for three hundred people, I'm bringing Fruit, cheese, and nuts. How much of each would I need?
ellen
03/20/17
Nan, is this an appetizer before a meal, a gallery opening or similar event, or part of a lunch or breakfast, it seriously affects amounts. Please send more info.
Jennifer Davis
01/21/18
fresh fruit and vegetable trays for 280 people
Hi, I am catering a finger food meal for a wedding. How many fruit and veggie trays? We are also doing chicken nuggets and finger sandwiches.
ellen
01/21/18
When does the reception start and end? This substantially affects the amount. Plz write back.
Nicole
05/21/18
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 250-300 people
Hi, I'm hosting a 5k - expecting around 250-300 guests. We will have many prepackaged samples, but I would also like fruit, veggies, and cheese. How many tray platters do you think I should make up?
ellen
05/21/18
I consulted some of my running friends. This depends on whether it is during the run at stations, or after. Please tell me what you have in mind, and whether ice chests are practical? Wrte back.
Faith
05/22/18
Hi,
I'm having a graduation party and planning on approximately 220 people. We're doing a waffle bar including fresh strawberries and blueberries among various other toppings, sausage links, Italian soda bar, and possible yogurt for parfaits. Our local Costco sells 4lb containers of strawberries for 5.99 and 2lb blueberry containers for 8.89. I'm somewhat stumped as to amounts of strawberries/blueberries/yogurt for this many people. Please help! Thanks much
faith
05/22/18
Sorry...I forgot to add that the party runs from 11am to 2pm

Thanks!

Nicole
05/22/18
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 250-300 people
Hi Ellen,
It's after the race ends. Ice chests aren't very practical. They will be sitting out from around 9-noon ish.
ellen
05/25/18
fresh fruit and vegetable tray for 250 people
Nicole, cold and juicy is ideal for this event.

One of the finest and most memorable (and inexpensive) fruit choices for this event is cold watermelon, and large ice chests for 3-4 hours is a great way to chill them. You would want about 1/2 pound per person. Chunk them up with large knives at the site as you serve, plenty of napkins and wetnaps and hose down later.

If you don't want to do this, use the fruit tray page to calculate about 5 bites per person, counting 1 ounce of grapes as a bite; but remember people want bites and they don't want to bother with peels, seeds, etc.

For cheese, traditional string cheese, which is individually wrapped, usually packaged as a kid snack, would be great. 2 strings per person. Slices and cubes are messier and slower eating.

For veggies, cold crisp baby carrots, and/or peas in a pod and/or celery sticks or mini peppers, 1 pound per about 10 (how much other food?)

You can write back, would be happy to check your estimates. If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support the site, maybe a dime per guest. Thank you.

ellen
05/25/18
Hi, Faith,

I would not have thought of waffles as a staple for this many people; when do for 18, we keep 2 irons going for a couple hours. Please consider doing my baked French toast

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/frtoast1.html

or maybe the brunch stratas for part of you brunch entrees

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/brunch100.html

That brunch article might give you lots of help and ideas about planning for this large party. You could still do waffles, but i would be much less of a challenge!

waffle bar including fresh strawberries and blueberries among various other toppings,

A very generous fruit serving for 5 people is 12 ounces strawberries (=2 cups) plus 10 ounces raspberries or blueberries (=2 cups). For toppings, you might use 1/2 to 2/3 that amount

For just waffle toppings, you might also consider using frozen sliced strawberries, which are a much more trouble free option- no washing and slicing.

sausage links, for each 100 PEOPLE, Small links- 2 per person
14-15 pounds
Patties- 2 per person
24 pounds- it shrinks 50%

Italian soda bar, 12-14 gallons per 100

yogurt for parfaits, 1 gallon makes 20 large parfaits, 6 0unces. You can go to 4 ounces by using a smaller cup or bowl.

You can write back, would be happy to check your estimates or coach any menu changes. If this is a paid gig or I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support the site, maybe a dime per guest. Thank you.

CAROLYN
08/15/18
I'd like to know how much of each fruit or veggie i need to serve 200
ellen
08/16/18
If you review the fruit tray page and the veggie tray page you will have a good guideline. Basically, as appetizers, 1 [pound ready to eat veg bites serves about 10; each adult person eats about 6 bites of fruit, you can use the bite count on the fruit page to figure out how much of each fruit. The deluxe tray for 100 actually serves about 120.
Anna Zimmerman
10/27/18
fresh fruit of grapes & pineapples to serve 300
Also how much cider at punch table & fruitfor 300 people
ellen
10/27/18
What s the event, how long does it last and what else is being served? All affect amounts. Please send more nfo.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)