Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
Ice Tea
Fran
06/13/10
Do you have a concentrated recipe for ice tea.
I would like to make 6 gallons of ice tea.

It would be served in a 3 gallon serving container. If i could make it concentrated to go in a 1 or 2 gallon plactic jug then all i have to do is add water to the serving container when i get to the location to set it up.

thanks Fran

ellen
06/13/10
I do this all the time, since I prefer the flavor of brewed tea. I use 1 pound of black tea for 5-6 gallons final product. Boil 2 gallons of water, stir in all the tea, let brew about 10 minutes, drain and press. Remix to 5-6 gallons.
Or put 1/2 pound in each of 2 gallon containers, and brew as sun tea- 24 hours. Drain press. Remix to 5-6 gallons.

The boiled concentrate keeps 2-3 days refrigerated, the sun tea is best used in 1=2 days. They will sour if left out or kept too long.

ellen
06/13/10
I just realized that you may have a different tea- 1 cup measured dry makes 6 quarts of iced tea, so your pound should be about 4 measured cups...
Fran
06/14/10
How about tea bags>>>>How many would i use to make the brewed tea? Or should i use only loose tea to make it?
ellen
06/14/10
You need 5-6 bags per finished quart, which is 24 quarts or 120-150 bags. Bulk tea is usually cheaper. If you don't want to strain, you can tie it up in a big very loose cheesecloth bag with a cotton string, and just discard when done (or compost it, tea leaves and coffee ground make good compost).

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design