cream cheese
israeli salad
potato kugel
plain noodle
noodles and tomato sauce
salad
fresh fruit
cake
what quanity of food do you think i need?
ellen
02/20/10
Assuming this is timed as a brunch/lunch sort of event, you need to end up with about 1 1/2 pounds of food per person. With this menu, assuming a self service buffet, this is about what I would do:

lox- 1 pound each 5 people
herring- pickled? 2-3 ounces per person
whitefish- salad? 1/3 cupo per person, or 2-3 ounces
cream cheese- 3 tablespoons per person (about 1 pound for each 10)
israeli saladif tabouli type, 1/3 cup per person, if cuke and tomato, 1/2 cup per person
potato kugel- 1/2 to 2/3 cup per person
plain noodle- light; about 6 pounds dry per 100 (don't you need butter?)
noodles and tomato sauce- about 8 pounds dry per 100

The quantities for the following are discussed in detail on the plan for 100 page, the fruit tray page, and the dessert plan page:
salad
fresh fruit
cake

ellen
02/20/10
By the way, congratulations and you might enjoy this article:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_salad
Delina
03/15/10
Cooking for 30 people. I am making Shepherd's Pie, as the main dish. What else could I serve along with this to make it a full meal? What quantity of food would I need for the shepherd's pie and the rest?
Thanks
ellen
03/15/10
This is usually made with ground mutton in Britain, beef here, and may have a pastry or mashed potato crust. I like to serve a serious green vegetable with this, whole green beans, broccoli, steamed cabbage or possibly carrots if there are none in the pie; ear corn is a possibility. If a pastry crust, you can add a potato side. Good bread and butter, maybe a fruit salad, and they will enjoy their dinner.
Delina
03/16/10
Thanks for the reply Ellen. You didn't mention the quantity I would need to purchase for:
Ground Beef
Broccoli
Potatoes
I would use mashed poatoes for the crust.I was planning on garlic bread.
ellen
03/16/10
I would use 10 pounds lean ground beef or 12 pounds regular. 12 pounds raw potatoes. 7-8 pounds ready to cook broccoli. Add another pound or so if you are buying whole that needs trimming.
Delina
03/16/10
Thank You very much for your quick reply!

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design