Cooks Reach Out

Cook's Chat Forum

Learn How to Choose Web Hosting

Labyrinth Readers Society

ELLEN'S KITCHEN
rice pilaf and Sangria
Shelley
11/04/09
I need to make rice pilaf for 50 people--I have reviewed your recipe, but I want to cook this in my electric roaster. Do you have a recipe that is electric roaster specific? I am so dense when it comes to "adapting" recipes--I am one that needs specifics. Secondly, do you have a simple red Sangria recipe to serve large (50) crowds? As allows, your help is greatly appreciated--you have seen me thru many sucessful parties...
ellen
11/04/09
Shelley, you just treat the cookwell of the roaster as the pan, preheat the roaster while you are bringing the rice to a boil and plop the pan into the roaster- it will be heavy. About 4 pounds dry rice.

Here is my note from the beverage planning table on punch (which sangria counts as) for 100:

(1/2 cup punch per serving)
6 to 10 gallons
10 gallons allows 3-4 drinks per person, needed if served alone. Use the smaller number if coffee and tea are also served.
PLUS ice
You would want 1/2 for 50

Carlo Rossi Paisano is a satisfactory cheap wine as a base for red Sangria. I will look up and see if I can find my old recipe...

ellen
11/04/09
Here are some sangria recipes I like:

Puerto Rican Sangria (Sangria Criolla)
This is quite strong; use more wine to reduce the punch of the punch

1 1/2 cups frozen passion fruit pulp, thawed (may use frozen guava concentrate)
2 cups pineapple juice
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups red wine
2 cups lemon-lime soda (ginger ale is also good)
1 cup white rum
4 sliced oranges, lemons, tangerines, etc

Combine all of the ingredients except the ice in a pitcher. Chill for at least 1 hour Overnight is better) before serving. You need about 4 pounds of ice for this recipe.

Or for a bit more show:
1 bottle of cheap red wine
4 fl oz of vanilla liquor
2 fl oz of brandy
2 fl oz of gin
2 fl oz of peach schnapps
4 fl oz of grenadine
1 liter of lemonade
1 large orange
1 large lemon
a lot of ice

4 ounces is 1/2 cup. Mix all the liquid ingredients in a large container. Cut up orange and lemon into small pieces add to the Sangria. Let sit overnight or longer. Serve with lots of ice and enjoy.
It will keep for 2 to 3 weeks in a air tight glass container - NOT PLASTIC.

Shelley
11/06/09
thank you Ellen--you are THE BEST

What's New? Check Out the New Pages Page

Click Ellen's Kitchen Updates to request updates, suggest new topics or report a broken link, comment, or question. Put "updates" in the subject line if you are requesting updates. PLEASE send questions separately from update requests.

Copyright 1998-2012 -- All rights reserved --

This site maintained by Galaxy Website Design