See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Fajitas for 80 people
ANA
08/01/08
i need to feed beef & ck fajitas to 80 people, how many pounds of each do i need to purchase?
ellen
08/01/08
You want 5 ounces cooked beef PLUS 3 ounces cooked chicken if this is a buffet type party service.

That is 2 pounds raw lean boneless beef for 5 persons PLUS 2 pounds whole bone in chicken for each 5-6 OR 1 pound boneless skinless chicken for 4.

Equal weight bell peppers as meat, about half weigh of onions.

E
08/04/08
We are doing beef and chicken fajitas for about 150. I was wondering what is a good recipie for these? I guess I am looking for the marinade or rub that would make them taste best. We are also doing rice and beans

Thanks

ellen
08/04/08
You have to use lime juice, red pepper, and garlic in the marinade to even come close, and about 6 hours is perfect (overnight and the lime juice can make the meat a bit mushy-). See this useful article:

ezinearticles.com/?Tips-For-Cooking-The-Best-Fajitas&id=458341

MARK
09/16/08
Menu for 80 people for thanksgiving
yes ellen:
we are having 80 people over for thanksgiving day.the menu is turkey,fried turkey,baked ham,
smothed okra,bbq chicken,fried chicken,string bean,rice,stuffed shrimp,scalloped pototo,
mac and cheese,pototo salad,toss salad,rolls,
seafood gumbo,and punch.i need to know how
many pounds listed on my menu i will need.
thank you.
ellen
09/16/08
I have written a whole SERIES of articles for you, under the holiday cooking section at the top of big pots. When you have posted an initial estimate, I will be glad to review and comment.

Here are a few hints:

You need to allow three shrimps per person, and put it last or near lasrt in the serving line. People love shrimp, there will be none left.

You have too many meats. I would drop at least one, the BBQ, and order in the fried at 1 piece per person in addition to the other meats. You will have some left, I can't tell how much.

You want 3 ounces ham ready to eat per person plus the other stuff.

With the extra meats you only want a total of 5 ounces ready to eat turkey, which is 10 ounces raw bone in. I can't advise on fried versus roasted; that varies too much around the country. FRYING THEM YOURSELF IS DANGEROUS, though doable; see my notes.

You want only about 2 gallons potato salad, because of the other starches. Make enough each of scalloped potatoes and mac and cheese to serve 2/3 of 100 using my recipes for 100, you will not need a full serving of each for each person. 1/2 cup each vegetable per person. 3/4 cup cooked rice per person will cover both side and gumbo needs. 5 gallons of gumbo is a bowl each, if using cups allow 3 1/2. Tossed salad is boring, consider a relish tray instead- 1 of my trays for 60 on the veggie tray page would be just right.

With this menu you need iced tea, both sweet and unsweetened. Punch is OK but allow a sugar-free alternative as well.

You want to end up with 1 1/2 pounds or a bit more, of edble food per person.

susie
06/11/09
Fajitas for 150people
I need to feed 150 people beef & chicken fajitas and hamburgers how do buy all these meats without purchasing too much. Thanks
ellen
06/11/09
Why hamburgers and how many people will eat them? The fajitas, it is just like the very first question on this thread, you can multiply to get the right amount for your size group.
MarBor
08/20/09
Fajitas for 150 people
I need to feed 150 people with beef and chicken fajita, sides rice and beens
MarBor
08/20/09
Fajitas for 150 people
How many lbs of beef, and how many of chiken
ellen
08/21/09
See the very first question on this thread and multiply the amounts for your size group. For toppings, see the baked potato bar article; they are the same. 7-8 pounds dry rice and dry beans for each 100, you would use 1 1/2 times the amount for 100.
You have to use lime juice, red pepper, and garlic in the marinade to even come close, and about 6 hours is perfect (overnight and the lime juice can make the meat a bit mushy-). See this useful article:

cindy
02/09/10
How much cheese &sour cream for 200 fajitas?
For a big Fajita Fundraiser ... how much cheese, sour cream, and salsa should we supply for people to put on their fajitas (per 200 fajitas)
cindy
02/09/10
How much cheese &sour cream for 200 fajitas?
For a big Fajita Fundraiser ... how much cheese, sour cream, and salsa should we supply for people to put on their fajitas (per 200 fajitas)
ellen
02/10/10
See the baked potato/ taco bar article and use the larger amounts per 100.
sandra
03/06/10
hi pls can u help me? gluten
plssss help my grandaughter ia 18months old we haave had test after test on her. resulting in her being diognosed gluten dairy wheat rice and some pulses intolerant. my quest to make her some bread is so hard i have used potatoe flour and cornlour hard to get it to rise she can have raisens and sultanas, any ideas greatley recived thx
ellen
03/07/10
This is a very unusual set of allergies, hard for all of you. You need to go to the gluten free sites. Making gluten free bread is difficult, many recipes require a bread machine.

One of my favorite
gluten free sites is crockpot365.com, It has links to other sites.

jackie
04/26/10
can you please tell me any super markets that sell potatoe flour
ellen
04/27/10
All natural foods stores, any supermarket with a good kosher section, most baking supply stores and you can order it online.
Nikki
09/21/10
Hi Again!
If I was to take the weenie way out on the rice and beans and bought them at Chuy's, how many gallons do you think I would need for 80?
Thanks!
Nikki
ellen
09/22/10
About 3-3 1/2 gallons of each. Don't be so hard on yourself.
Lucero
02/13/11
Chiken fajitas for 200 people
Im doing chiken fajitas for 200 people how many pounds of each thing will I need
ellen
02/14/11
See the very first question on this thread and multiply the amounts for your size group. For toppings, see the baked potato bar article; they are the same. 7-8 pounds each dry rice and dry beans for each 100, you would use 2 times the amount for 100.

Jlo
05/14/11
Fajitas, beef and chicken for 200 people
How many pounds of beef and chicken fajitas for 200 people. Aldo how many pound of rice and beans for 200 people
ellen
05/14/11
Jio, the amounts in the first answer on this thread apply.
Melissa
05/24/12
Fajitas for 300 ppl
We are making a meal or a friends wedding reception and are thinking of doing beef fajitas..rice beans and a tortilla...how many pounds are we needing?
ellen
05/24/12
See fajita page and taco/potato bar planning page, make an estimate and post. I will check.
Jennifer
07/17/12
Fajitas for 150
Hey I am having a wedding and we are serving Fajitas. We already have the meat and rice and beans figured out but I was wondering how much Lettuce Tomatoes sour cream and hot sauce I should be supplying.

Thank you

Jennifer
07/17/12
Fajitas for 150
We are also serving potato salad
ellen
07/18/12
Jennifer, if you use the topping amounts on the taco bar page, you will have plenty.
Antonio
09/17/12
Fajitas for 60 people
I having a party of 60 and would like to feed them a three course meal that consist of Chicken fajitas, Spanish rice and re-fried beans.. how much product should I buy?
ellen
09/17/12
I wrote a complete article on fajitas, finally, you want 2/3 the amounts for 100.

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmexfajitas.html

Maricela
12/04/12
I'm making shrimp crab salad with macaroni how much do I need of ingredients it's a buffet for 250 also for steamed califouwer and brocolli with rice and beans my maid dish is chicken breast stuffed with spinich cream cheese and bacon Need help on quantaties thanks
ellen
12/04/12
I usually use 6 pounds dry pasta per 100 and add in the rest of the pasta salad ingredients to taste.

I would use 16 pounds of chopped broccoli and 8 pounds of rice per 100 if that is the only starch.

6 ounces raw chicken breast per person.

Priscilla Garza
07/17/14
Fajitas for 80
How would i make everything even for 100 people serving chiken rice fajitas and beans i looked up first thread i dnt have $200 to spend on meat basing 2 lbs fajitas are like $10 at store, on a budget
ellen
07/17/14
Fajitas are meat intensive and even with chicken, not cheap. If you are on a very tight budget, consider doing a taco bar fiesta instead. would that work for you? Write back.
Brian Lingnau
08/05/14
Fajitas 48# of meat
I am cooking 48# of mixed fajita meat. How much bell pepper and onion do I need.
ellen
08/05/14
Approximately equal weight, half and half. Get mixed color pepper if you can. That is over 150 servings...
Colleen
01/04/17
Fajitas for 150 people
Daughter's wedding self-catering
150 people please inform me. How much for
chicken and beef fajitas
1. how much meat
2. how much
onions
bell peppers
cheese
Sour cream
rice
ellen
01/06/17
This is discussed at length on the fajita page- have a read and then write back:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmexfajitas.html

Rene Benavidez
10/13/17
Fajitas for 300 people
How many lbs of chicken fajita would I need for 300 people
ellen
10/13/17
Meats 1 pound of lean boneless raw meat per 4 persons.
Vegetables Equal weight of vegetables as meat: 1/3 onion, 1/3 green peppers, 1/3 red/ orange/ yellow peppers

See the page referred above, www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmexfajitas.html

Liz P.
06/27/19
Party for 80 people
Hello! I am having a BBQ for 80 people, I am serving chicken leg quarters, beef fajita, and sausage. I am curious to know how many pounds of each item I would need. The chicken is the main entree, the beef fajita is only going to be about half the normal serving size if it was the main entree. I hope that was not confusing! Thank you for your help!
ellen
06/29/19
You want to end up with at least 40 pounds of edible meat. You also have to add because when people have several meats on a buffet, they often take some of each.

chicken leg quarters, about 60 pounds, they have a lot of bone. Cut some apart after cooking as people will take a piece as well as some of he other.

beef fajita, half portions, 1 pound per 8= 10 pounds boneless

sausage, 1 pound per 8= 10 pounds

You can write back. If I have saved you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation to support this site. Thanks.

Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)