See a letter from Ellen about the donation campaign. Your help matters!

Cook Talk

Pound of meat per adult
Linda
03/21/08
How much meat to figure per adult and children?
ellen
03/22/08
Dinner, lunch, BBQ, buffet, reception, appetizers? Beef, chicken, turkey, bone-in ham, ribs, deli? Raw or cooked ready to eat? Regular meal or party meal? As stated repeatedly elsewhere, with beef and a second meat, many caterers allow 5 ounces cooked ready to eat meat plus 3 ounces of the second cooked ready to eat meat. There are tables all over this site for per person for individual meats, turkey, etc. for each of the above. If you will make a basic estimate and describe your menu, I will be glad to check it for you.
Judy Sanchez
05/16/08
I have a ton of questions. I'm cooking for a 60th anniversary. Approx 200 people. How much shredded beef (sandwiches) would I need. I'm thinking of going with chuck roast, how many pounds approx? I'm also thinking of a 2nd meat as well either barbeque pork or shredded chicken, which would go better with the beef? Also with cost in mind what would be least expensive. Side dishes are Potato Salad, Pasta Salad, Tuna Salad. I do plan on having some appetizers like taco dips, cucumber sandwiches. I have printed out many of the pages on veggie tray, fruit platters etc. The anniversary party is June 21st and I'm trying to budget with 6 other family members. Thank you so much for your help
ellen
05/16/08
Approximately 85 pounds raw boneless chuck or pork shoulder for a single meat. If I were doing two, I would do pork and chicken or beef and chicken, as folks who will eat beef will eat pork, while some folks who eat chicken will not eat beef or pork.

If you do two choices, you must add more meat, as people will take more and some of each, and you need to leave a choice. So you need about 60 pounds raw beef or pork PLUS 40 pounds boneless chicken, which is 80 pounds bone in quarters or whole. You can use turkey for BBQ "chicken"; if you don't discuss it, no one will notice.

Preparing the meat and storing/ freezing it in the BBQ sauce will allow the meat to absorb some of the sauce, which both improves the flavor and slightly increases the amount.

Judy Sanchez
05/16/08
More questions. How much in advance could I make the meat and freeze it? This will help us on time. There are only 5 of us committed to cooking so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. For the sides do you think potato salad, pasta salad and tuna salad is enough variety? There will be some veggie dishes as well. For cookies and brownies would you consider 1 per person or 2? Taco dip I was thinking of 4 platters. Does that sound like enough? Thanks again
ellen
05/16/08
You can freeze the meats 2 months ahead.

I would add slaw, very simple and not expensive, adds crunch and color.

With cookies and brownies, unfortunately, you need 1 of EACH kind per person up to 4, but you should make small ones- 2 to 3 bites. People will take several different ones.

Taco dip? What size tray? Is this salsa, or a cheese dip, or a layered bean dip? You need 1/4 cup per person.

Evie
05/16/08
Can a casserole recipe with uncooked rice be assembled and refrigerated overnight and cooked the next day for lunch? Will the rice be too mushy? Will the dried onion soup mix flavors be too intense?
ellen
05/17/08
I would try it for family before prepping for a guest, and here is how I would do it:

Assemble everything but the broth/water in the non-stick sprayed dish, chill. Prehest the oven. Warm the broth/water before pouring over the casserole, cover and bake.

It probably would not work with a thick sauce, cream soup, etc.

If I were going to try mixing the whole thing, I would use brown rice, which would benefit from the soaking. If I tried it with white, I would use converted, (Uncle Ben's, for example), which holds its shape better than other white rices.

I might also try the casserole with barley, which is sturdier than rice and very tasty.

Earl F.
06/08/09
Pound of meat per adult 65 ,BRISKET& SAUSAGE
COOKING 40# OF BRISKET IN A fec100 ,slow How much sausage do we need 65 people.
ellen
06/09/09
You have enough brisket without the sausage, meat-wise; but if you do have sausage available you need 1 pound raw for each 4 people (about 15 pounds), as people eat much more when there are several meats.
Be
09/04/09
When serving Prime Rib to a mostly hardy farming men event, how many ounces of meat do you prepare per serving? Serving between 100 - 150.
The menu includes, garlic potatoes, green beans, garden salad, roll and desert.
ellen
09/04/09
1 pound bone in per person, especially as those are basically light sides. Get an exact count; at this price no one can afford such a wide range.
Be
09/04/09
Thanks for that info, I can only get boneless rib roast in my area, so how much that way. Also, what sides would you suggest then to help fill them up with less meat?
ellen
09/04/09
OK, 3/4 pound raw boneless and cook ity LOW and SLOW to reduce shrinkage. How about a casserole of hot vegetables or a corn casserole or broiled tomato halves, and instead of tossed salad, a heavier slad such as a marinated bean cup or other marinated relishes?
Be
09/06/09
Thank you very your advice.
JR
09/10/09
How many pounds of chicken thighs or leg quarters will feed 100 (with side dishes)?

Thanks in advance

ellen
09/10/09
See the plan for 100 table, meat section. Your question is answered exactly. Button at the top of the main cooktalk page.
JR
09/10/09
OK I may be reading it wrong...
boneless thighs described as about 90 lbs
leg quarters describe as one per person

I was looking for lbs/person for bone in
thighs and quarters

ellen
09/10/09
Bone in thighs count as pieces. Boneless, skinless thighs, you only need 2 pounds raw for every 5-6 people (depends on what you are using them for). Leg quarters count as quarters- the main reason for the difference in the weight is, the quarters usually still have (quite a bit of)the backbone attached while the bone in thighs have just the thigh bone itself, which is relatively small.
ellen
09/10/09
So with bone in in pieces you need about 70 pounds, with quarters about 80 pounds, whole chickens or mixed pieces (which include legs, wings breasts and thighs about 90 pounds; but boneless, skinless, only about 45 pounds.
JR
09/10/09
by the way thanks alot for the info, it is greatly appreciated... and would you estimate about a gallon of bbq sauce for the above mentioned chicken?
ellen
09/10/09
When I make pulled pork, I use almost 3 quarts for just 8-10 pounds of meat. Of course, that is a very wet dish, but I would say you need more than a gallon= 16 cups= 250 tablespoons or less than 3 tablespoons per person...
cheri degonia
09/16/09
For 50 people how much Ham do I need we are having the spiral cut and how much chicken or roast beef?

How many rolls.

ellen
09/16/09
Cheri, is this for sandwiches or a plated dinner or a buffet, and what kind of chicken? Also, what is the rest of the menu? Write back.
Be
09/17/09
hey Ellen, just wanted to let you know that my event with the prime rib went over with flying colors, Thank you for your comments.
ellen
09/17/09
Great! Thanks for the follow up! What menu did you end up with and how many people?
barbara
11/07/09
how much meat to purchase per adult
i am making chateubriand for 25 guests. how much will i need. i am also making 5-6 lbs of salmon. thanks
ellen
11/08/09
Even with the salmon, I would start with 12 pounds raw chateaubriand. People love this luxurious dish.
barbara
11/08/09
Thanks!!
dianne
11/09/09
I am making roast beef,and either ham, or turkey for a second meat. The sides are mashed potatoes, corn, and stuffing. This is for about 60-65 adult and 20 children. How much meat should I get?
ellen
11/09/09
You want to end up with 5 ounces cooked ready to eat beef PLUS 3 ounces ready to eat second meat per person. That is 7-8 ounces raw boneless beef [er person, The turkey, you can check my turkey yield tables in the holiday cooking section at the top of Big Pots. Ham, about 1 pound cooked boneless for each 4 people for the second meat.

You will notice that when there are two meats, people tend to take more and some of each.

lisa
11/10/09
How many pounds of chipped BBQ meat do I need to feed sandwiches to 40 people?
Lily
11/10/09
Throwing a baby shower, there will be approx 50 - 60 guests - Menu is Brisket, rice, beans, bread, pickles and onions - how much brisket would I need? Raw and how much should I serve after cooked
ellen
11/10/09
Mostly ladies? 2 pounds raw well trimmed id fine for 5. For mixed or men 2 pounds for 4. Makes about a 5 serving for each person.
Ray
11/11/09
HI Ellen
For Christmas we are having about 70 guests for 1 pm meal. about 8 of these are children. our menu is Turkey Breast, Ham, and Pork Ribs, and stuffing. Four kinds of potatoes, and each family will bring a dish to pass.
I know this is a lot of food but they usually eat a little something before going home.

please help me!!!!!!!

hariette
11/11/09
I am getting a spiral cut ham for 15 for Thanksgiving and need to know how big a ham to get. 13 adults and we are having turkey as well. Thanks!
ellen
11/12/09
Ray, what is your question? Write back.

Harriette, if this is a bone in ham and you are not having another meat, you would get at least an 8-9 pound ham. But with the turkey, you only need to allow 2 pounds for each 7 people, bone in, so about 5 pounds.

Robin
11/23/09
I am hosting a holiday party for approximately 60 people. Planning on making chicken and brisket tacos. Will also be serving mexican rice. How many raw pounds of brisket and how many raw pounds of bone in chicken breasts will I need to purchase? Thank you so much for your help!
ellen
11/23/09
Youwant to end up with about 5 ounces ready to eat beef and 3 ounces ready to eat chicken for each person. Brisket is a fatty meat that shrinks a lot, so you want about 2 pounds raw for each 5 people, and a bit less than 1 pound of bone in checken breast for each 3.
Robin
11/24/09
Thanks Ellen!! I have tried my recipe using both chuck and brisket. The chuck tasted a bit better but was a royal pain to process through all of the fat and gristle and in the end, did not provide a large quantity of meat. So, I am planning on using the brisket - do you agree?
ellen
11/24/09
Yes, the chuck does taste better and yes the brisket is much easier to handle, and is perfectly acceptable for this use.
Robin Taback
12/04/09
defrosting, re-heating and rice
Ellen -

Thanks so much for your help!! Couple of questions...

I have cooked the brisket and chicken and froze them in 8 gallon containers. What would be the best way for me to defrost and re-heat for the party?? I have ordered chaffing dishes to use for service. Do I need to re-heat everything on the stove and/or oven first, or once everything is defrosted, can it go right in the chaffers to warm up? Also, I am planning on making mexican rice - rice cooked with half chx broth, half tomato sauce, onions, mexican spices and peas. Can I make this ahead of time and freeze?? If so, again, how do I re-heat?? Thanks so much for your help. LOVE your website!!!!

ellen
12/04/09
Thaw in the refrigerator only; containers this large could take 3 days. The rice would be MUCH better made fresh.
You MUST bring all food to 180 before placing in the chafers; it will not reheat safely in the warmers.
If you use the baked rice method and do it in the oven, it is very easy to do a large amount.
Robin
12/08/09
Ellen - thanks again for all of your help!! I have one final question!! If I have leftovers after the party, can these be re-frozen and used at a later date or are they trash? Thanks!!!
ellen
12/08/09
If it has been frozen and thawed, it can't be refrozen unless it is cooked to 160 again. It must NOT be refrozen if it has set out at room temp. Not trash, eat them up or donate to a local soup kitchen, but don't re-freeze.
beverly
12/15/09
how many cold cut platter do i need for 25 ppl also cheese. thanks
beverly
12/15/09
hi. we are thinking roast beef, turkey, ham, salami, cheese. there will be salads. how much of cold meat for 25 people, thanks
ellen
12/15/09
Hi, Beverly,

If this is a sandwich platter type event, take a look at the sandwich event page for 3 different sizes of sandwich events. Once you have a total weight, do about 1/3 beef, 1/3 turkey, 1/4 ham, 1/4 salami. Notice it adds up to more than 100%? That's because people take more and some of each when there are multiple choice. Thin sliced is better than shaved, people take less.

1 1/2 to 2 ounces sliced cheese per person.

angie
01/13/10
hi ellen, im doing my own wedding reception dinner and had a few questions. First of all we are on a budget but want a full meal so we are doing spiral ham, baked potao bar, green salad and steamed veggies with rolls. Do I need something else? Also is that too much of a holiday meal? anyway its for 100 people. can you get me a close estimate of how much meat i will need. Im doing the spiral ham. thank you angie
ellen
01/13/10
That is a perfectly OK meal, you just need to be sure there are some protein toppings for the potatoes for any vegetarians- chopped egg, shredded cheese, etc.

This will be a bone in ham, I assume, You need 1 pound for each 3 people for buffet/ party type servings.

I would add a festive fruity dish such as fried apples to complement the ham and fill out the plate. 1/2 cup per person.

Michele
01/20/10
Hi Ellen,

How many lb per person should I figure of chickn and beef fajitas for 12 adults and 9 kids?

Thanks!!

ellen
01/20/10
Raw, 1/2 pound lean boneless beef plus 1/3 pound raw boneless chicken per adult and kids above junior high, 1/2 that for small children.
cindy Namerow
02/15/10
Hi Ellen,

Preparing Maundy Thurs. dinner for 50 at our church.
I am considering preparing chuck roast.

How many lbs per persons?

Much appreciated,

ellen
02/15/10
25 pounds raw boneless chuck will give 50 nice portions.
Dawn
02/21/10
Hi Ellen,

I am preparing a chicken scampi for approx 50 people, could be a few less. any suggestions for how much chicken I will need and ideas for sides, plan to have a pasta with marinara, rolls and salad.

ellen
02/21/10
Hi,
Check the chicken discussion on the plan for 100 page, you need about 1/2 the amount for 100.
I would do antipasto veggies (cold) and roasted mixed; eggplant, summer squashes, asparagus, whole green beans, etc.
mike
02/25/10
haveing a party with about 40 adults and want to serve pork shoulder to keep the cost down low and slow cooking method. How big of a roast do i need to purchase and how long in the oven covered in foil should i cook it for? i will be serving it with 2 sides.Thank u in advance for your input
patsy wiggins
02/26/10
figure in lb
In planning a dinner, the amount of boneless raw meat to be purchased for each adult is..
patsy wiggins
02/26/10
Pound of meat one adult
amount of boneless meat to be purchased for one adult is..
ellen
02/27/10
Mike, you mean roasts, not roast; about 20 pounds boneless.

Patsy, it depends. Boneless skinless chicken hardly shrinks, you allow 4 ounces raw to get 3 ounces cooked. Brisket shrinks 40%; you need a pound to get about 9 ounces cooked.

USDA recommends 3 ounces cooked as a portion. Usual party portion is twice to 3 times that.

Erin
03/06/10
I have a question for you, my husband and I are planning a BBQ for his birthday this year. There will be approx. 29 adults and 8 kids. My husband wants to have chicken drumsticks, sausages (just the ones that are in a spiral), hamburgers and hotdogs. We are both really confused about how much of each to prepare. I am thinking that I should buy enough of each type of meat to feed at least all 37 guests, meaning 37x4= 148 servings of meat! this sounds nuts to me, but I am not sure how to break it down. On top of all of the meats we plan on having chips, veggie plates, potato and macaroni salad, plus we may have canned beans as well (so there will be other foods than meats). I would greatly appreciate your help!!
ellen
03/07/10
This is what I would do:

45 legs
8 pounds sausage
24 patties (but if frozen, I would leave some frozen until I saw the demand)
3-4 pounds hotdogs. open only 2 to start.
1 pack veggie dogs or boca burgers, unless you are sure there are no vegetarians.

Happy birthday.

Erin
03/07/10
Thanks a lot Ellen for your reply! I am wound right up about this, I have never entertained this many people before. Now, I know there are not any vegetarians and I also forgot to mention that about 6 or 7 of the guests are big eaters (1 teenager and the rest adult men), should I compensate anywhere for this, or will the numbers you gave allow for their big appetites? and since I do not have any vegetarians should I buy another pack of something to compensate for those numbers?? Thanks again, this site and your response has been extremely valuable!! :)
Erin
03/07/10
I was also thinking 5 lbs each of macaroni salad, potato salad and beans. Is this too much?
Nichole
03/22/10
I'm trying to help plan a wedding for about 70 people. If we did brisket, chicken or turkey and sausage plus beans, potato casserole or salad, and coleslaw how much would you recommend? Thanks so much.
ellen
03/22/10
For the sides, you can use the plan for 100 tables and use 3/4.

With three meats for this small of a crowd, you have to go a little over to make sure everyone gets their first choice and also because when there are several choices, many take some of each. Here is what I would plan:

1 piece (not quarter) of chicken per person PLUS 2 pounds raw well-trimmed brisket for each 7 people PLUS 1 pound of sausage for each 5 people. That way, everyone will have what they like and you will probably have just a little left over.

By the way, I would do both potato casserole and salad; it is a party meal, and it will also cut down some on the meat.

ellen
03/22/10
To clarify; potato casserole and non-potato salad, fruit, tossed, veggie, etc. For the slaw, about 2 1/2 gallons.
Lara
03/30/10
I am planning a graduation party and want to serve ham and turkey sandwiches for about 200 people. Is is best to use shaved? and how many pounds of each would I need? I am using a snowflake roll to serve it in. I also will be making the sandwiches that morning, not serving from a tray of meat! Thanks for your help!
Lara
03/31/10
Ellen, I just saw your link at the top which answers my question! Thank you!!
Gail
04/17/10
Hi I am entertaining 70 people and am cooking Pork Tenderloin Roast. How many pounds of meat would I need to cook? Thank you in Advance
ellen
04/17/10
If it is the onlt meat, 35 pounds boneless raw. You may have a little left, not mich.
Saundra
04/30/10
Hi, we are planning a birthday party for 75 - 100 people. Party is planned for 2 in the afternoon (after lunch) we are making fruit trays as well as a meat and cheese trays plus will have a cake. How many lbs of meat and cheese should we purchase?
ellen
04/30/10
Since it is after lunch, you need about 1/2 what you would need for sandwiches- see the sandwich planning page.
Robyn
05/02/10
I am making mexican style barbacoa and wanted to know how many pounds of meat needed to feed 200 people for a wedding, cafeteria style?
ellen
05/02/10
1 pound ready to eat barbacoa, per 3 people, if you also have rice, beans, salad, tortillas.
Terasa Goeddeke
05/25/10
I am having a Graduation Party for my daughter. For sandwiches we are having barbeque and deli sandwiches. There are 150 people invited. There is going to be 9# of barbeque. Aproximately how many pounds of ham and turkey would you suggest getting and approximately how many sandwiches will the barbeque make? We are also haveing a fruit salad, chips, relish tray, and cake.
ellen
05/25/10
9 pounds makes about 30 sandwiches, you will probably run out pretty early.

Go to the sandwich event page and get enough meats, cheeses and condiments for about 120 people. There will be less meat eaten if you will add one heavy salad, either pasta or potato.

jeanine
06/01/10
how many pounds of meat marinated boneless chicken and carne asada meat do i need to purchase for a bbq serving about 30 people?
ellen
06/02/10
1 pound raw lean boneless per 4 for the asada/ stew (no leftovers) PLUS 1 pound boneless skinless chicken for each 4 people is what I use.
raquel
06/28/10
Hi Ellen,

We are planning a birthday party for my son. We want to make barbacoa fortunally someone is making it for us, but we need to know how much cow cheek to get for 100-130 people?

ellen
06/29/10
Raw? For 100 about 40 pounds.
Terri Ellingburg
06/29/10
We are having 4th of July at our home. There will be 11 adults. We are serving ribs and chicken quarters. How much of each would you recommend?
ellen
06/29/10
I would get about 8 pounds of ribs and 2 chickens. I would probably cut the chickens in pieces, not quarters, for serving.
Brandon
06/30/10
I'm smoking pulled pork for a party of 50-70 people. It is a bring a dish to pass type party, with the pork sandwiches being the main dish. I have access to bone-in boston butts. How many lbs do you think I will need (raw)? Thanks.
roberta
07/19/10
assorted cold cuts and cheese
having outdoor grad. party. how many total lbs. of cold cut and cheese will be needed. we are also having burgers and hot dogs.
ellen
07/19/10
Brandon, sorry I missed your post! 1 pound bone in for each 2 people, since there wil be other meats.

Roberta, see the sandwich event page, get enough for about half the guests. Can't get closer; no indication of the number of guests...

Grace
07/20/10
I'm planning for a funeral dinner for about 40 people. How many pounds of pre-cooked bone in ham will I need?
ellen
07/20/10
If it is the only meat but there are some good side dishes, 2 pounds for 5-6 people.
Mary Ann Williams
07/22/10
Hello Ellen,

I am having a baby shower for about 35 women, I will be ordering slice brisket ( already cooked from a BBQ place) some sausage and some chicken I need to know how many pounds of meat do I need to buy. I will be ordering 50% Brisket, 25% sausage and 25% turkey or chicken. We will also be having potatoe salad, beans and other things. I am not sure how much meat to buy. Can you please advise me! Thank you,

ellen
07/23/10
Hi, Mary Ann,
I would order 9 pounds of brisket, 4 of sausage and about 4 chickens, You will have some left, but everyone will get their first choice.
laura
07/26/10
i am giving my daughter a 40th birthday party and we have about40 people invited. we are doing a taco bar with hamburger meat and Carne asada how much of each should i buy?
ellen
07/26/10
If the asada is prepared, you want about 8 quarts, plus 1 pound raw burger for each 4 people, provided there are also rice and beans. See the potato/taco bar page for help on all the toppings.
Claire
07/27/10
How much BBQ sauce?
I am making 85-100 pounds of pulled pork. How much BBQ sauce do you think I need?
ellen
07/27/10
About a cup per pound of meat, more ( up to double) if you like it really sauce.
Graciela
08/18/10
I'm planning to cook barbacoa (beef) for 100 people. How many pounds of beef should I get? I will also serve Mexican rice, beans, and a green salad. I have no idea how many pounds of rice and beans to cook. HELP!
ellen
08/18/10
About 40 pounds raw beef, assuming the recipe has additions. The other items are all covered on the plan for 100 lists and there are recipes on the site for 100 for sevral different rice and bean styles.
Melissa
08/18/10
I am making pulled pork sandwiches for appx 60 people including children. How much pork loin should I purchase?
Melissa
08/18/10
Never mind answered the question above. Sorry.
ellen
08/18/10
Melissa, thanks for looking it up yourself.
Sam
09/22/10
Hi! I am having a party for my husband and we are doing it Mexican style. We are planning to have ground beef and chicken tacos but I am not sure how much of each to get... there will be about 50 people... we will also be having rice and beans chips and dips and dessert.

Thank you!

sam
09/22/10
Oh yeah.. I was going to buy whole chickens and roast and shred them...
ellen
09/22/10
1 pound whole chicken makes 1 cup=8 ounces shredded meat. 1 pound ground chuck makes 2 cups cooked meat. You want 4 ounces cooked ready to eat beef and 3 ounces ready to eat chicken per person.
Donna
12/22/10
I am serving brisket of beef for Christmas Eve for 10 adults. How large a brisket should I buy?
ellen
12/22/10
5-6 pounds well trimmed raw brisket, seconds but no leftovers.
Linda
02/08/11
makingjr sandwiches for 96 adults and 15 children how much shaved ham would I need
ellen
02/10/11
Count this as just over 100, and use the sandwich page for amounts.
Stephanie
02/27/11
I'm having ham BBQ sandwiches and hot dogs for my daughter's party. We're having roughly 80 people. How much of each should I have? (17 kids and the rest adults)
ellen
02/27/11
Being not a hot dog lover myself, I suggest 20 pounds ham bbq (includes sauce), and switch to polish sausage, get about 36.
Nita
03/02/11
I am planning a barbecue gathering for approximately 60 adults and 30 children.
The children will have burgers and hotdogs. The adults, brisket and chicken breasts. How much should I have of each meat in order to feed these people. Thanks for your advise.
Nita
03/02/11
I am planning a barbecue gathering for approximately 60 adults and 30 children.
The children will have burgers and hotdogs. The adults, brisket and chicken breasts. How much should I have of each meat in order to feed these people? Thanks for your advise.
ellen
03/03/11
Hi, Nita,
I don't like to plan a BBQ with such limited choices for the kids. If I were doing these 4 meats for this many people, I would do about 30 pounds brisket, 60 small breasts, 40 burgers, and 40 Polish sausages (much tastier than hot dogs).
Sylvia
03/10/11
I am planning a 70th Birthday party for my Dad and we're expecting "about" 35 guests. You know extra people always show up, so I would safely say about 40-45 people. I will be serving brisket. How many pounds do I need to buy to feed my guests. We will also have potato salad and charro pinto beans with sliced pickes, onions, etc. Please reply. Thanks
ellen
03/10/11
Slvia, brisket is a coarse. fatty meat that shrinks more than 50%, so I always allow at least 1/2 pound raw well trimmed for dinner. A few extra pounds makes for excellent leftovers.
angelica
04/08/11
I willbe hosting a party for apporx 50 adults
Wanted to confirmed how much uncooked chicken leg legs with thighs and breats + pork ribs should i purchased???

thanks is advance

ellen
04/09/11
OK, I would do at least 25 pounds ribs and 30 pounds quarters, but I would cut the quarters into pieces if it is self serve/ buffet.
rols
04/20/11
hi ellen,
thanks in advance for the great advice that you provide on this site!
i'm cooking a beef curry (stewing beef?), chick peas (light sauce), an asparagus dish (dry), some sort of potatoes (dry), sides of rice & joghurt - all for 140 people.
how much of everything will i need?
ellen
04/20/11
The math is too tiresome for 140, so I will tell you 100 and you can do 1 1/2, then cut back a little.

beef curry (stewing beef?), 35-40 pounds raw per 100, depends on how many other items in the curry
chick peas (light sauce), 8 pounds dry per 100
an asparagus dish (dry), 35 pounds raw, about 28 pounds ready to eat
some sort of potatoes (dry), 25 pounds per 100, because you also have the rice; you will have some left
rice- 10 pounds per 100 &
yoghurt- 7-8 quarts per 100

LISA
04/24/11
i am having 10 adults over and having side salads pierogies and polish sausage. how many pounds of polish sausage do i need, 5 men who love polish sausage
ellen
04/24/11
In that case, I would do 8 pounds- about 3/4 pound per lover, 1/2 for the rest.
joanna
05/12/11
I am expecting about 80 people to a cookout where I will be having ribs,chicken legquarters ,baked beans ,green beans ,rolls, mac-cheese ,potatoe salad ,how much should i buy of the meat and things
ellen
05/12/11
Joanna, most of this is covered in the plan for 100 list, you would do 4/5 the amounts for 80 people. For 80 people, I would do 40 pounds raw ribs plus 40-50 pounds leg quarters; there is a lot of bone in these meats.
Jasmine
05/15/11
I am having a high school graduation party for my son. My guest list is for 135 people. I decided to go with bbq shredded beef sandwiches, maccaroni salad, potato salad and pasta salad. I will also have a nacho stand a an appetizer and ofcoarse cake. My main concern is how much meat to buy? Do I have enough side option?
ellen
05/15/11
40-45 pounds ready to eat beef, 3 gallons additional sauce. The rest, 1 1/3 times the amounts for 100. I might add slaw for 100.
Jan
05/16/11
Making shredded turkey sandwiches for a baby shower. Bought 2- 18 lb. turkeys there will be approx. 125 people. Do I need more turkey?
ellen
05/16/11
You will get about 36 cups of meat, 1 cup per pound whole. I allow at least 1/3 cup per person, 1/2 if they are large eaters. So you are close, maybe a bit light.
terri
05/17/11
having a first BD 35 guest adults 13 children under 12 menu Burgers, brats, hot dogs, fruit trays, and veggie tray, beans, and grilled corn on cob how much ground beef, brats and beans do i need????????
ellen
05/18/11
Use 1/3 the amounts for 100, skip the hot dogs and go with just brats unless you are deeply attached to hot dogs, amounts are discussed in the plan for 100 list. If you want to post an estimate, I will check it.
Sherry
05/22/11
We're having a grad party soon and planning to do a taco bar. Need to know how many pounds of chicken and beef to get for 200 people? We're planning to do a mexican shredded chicken and ground beef for the make your own tacos/nachos.
ellen
05/23/11
See the amounts on the taco/potato bar for 100, do twice the amounts for 200. 1/3 chicken, 2/3 beef. Allow for 1/4 shrinkage on the raw burger.
Kevin N.
06/09/11
So, I've read through the pages and I've seen similar situations as me. So all I'm asking for is if you agree with my fuzzy math! Details: approx 300 people, roughly 200 adults, 80-ish kids, heavier self-serve sides with the meats being portioned and served. here's what I was thinking for meat numbers:
-50 lbs raw brisket (served shredded)
-70 burgers
-80 hot dogs
-30 lbs raw boneless/skinless chicken (served shredded)

Way under, around the mark, or overkill? Thank you!

ellen
06/10/11
If I were going to do shredded beef, I would start with chuck, not brisket; juicier, less shrinkage.

I would increase the beef. Consider skipping the burgers entirely an increasing the beef to 80-85 pounds raw boneless. Basically anyone who would eat a burger would eat the shredded beef. Chicken is OK, I like to do Polish sausage or kielbasa instead of hotdogs- taste much better, not too much more expensive.

Consider at least one pack (24) of Boca Burgers or Morningstar burgers for the vegetarians in the crowd- in that size party there will be some.

Kari
06/13/11
I am making pulled turkey and gravy sandwiches for my daughters birthday and wondering how many pounds of raw turkey breast to start with. We are expecting about 40 guests.
ellen
06/13/11
1 pound raw boneless makes 5 fine sandwiches.
Peggy
06/23/11
I have to serve 175 people. Baked salmon and fried chicken. Sweet potatoes

Really concerned about how much Salmon to buy and sweet potatoes

thanks.

ellen
06/23/11
Peggy, restaurant supply places carry frozen wild caught Keta salmon in 4 ounce portions for under $5 per pound. I would get 1 salmon per person plus 1 piece of chicken per person.

Sweet potatoes, like whit3, about 35 pounds per 100 fresh or 4-5 #10 cans per 100.

ellen
06/23/11
Peggy, restaurant supply places carry frozen wild caught Keta salmon in 4 ounce portions for under $5 per pound. I would get 1 salmon per person plus 1 piece of chicken per person.

Sweet potatoes, like whit3, about 35 pounds per 100 fresh or 4-5 #10 cans per 100.

Kathy
07/08/11
I am planning a party for my Mom's 80th birthday and we will have 45 people. Here is the planned menu all being prepared by a restaurant and I would love your opinion on if I have the correct amounts to serve.
12 lbs pulled pork
6 lbs beef brisket
8 whole chickens (cut up for serving)
1 gallon cole slaw
1 gallon mashed potatoes w/gravy
1 gallon baked beans
1 gallon macaroni salad
Will also have a large bowl of garden salad and a fruit and vegetable tray.
Thanks so much for your advice...I am really nervous about having enough food but don't want to go overboard either.
ellen
07/08/11
It depends on whether most of the guests are her age or mixed, and whether this is over a regular mealtime or mid-afternoon. I would probably do 8 pounds pork and 8-9 pounds beef. 2 gallons mashed potatoes, 1 1/2 pasta salad.
Kathy
07/09/11
It is mixed ages and from 2-6 pm. Thank you!!
DANA
08/03/11
40 People
7 #s Turkey, 7 #s Pork, 7 #s Brisket
Office of big meat eaters.
Is this enough ? I think I need a pound ea more
Also having Potato Salad, BBQ Beans & Slaw
ellen
08/03/11
Kathy, that means the folks her age will be eating an early supper, but the rest will be eating reception-level, about 1/4 less than a meal. I would do 8 pounds pork, 12 pounds brisket and 5 chickens, and you will still have a little left. Nice bread and rolls would be an excellent addition, butter, mayo, mustard. Plenty of fruit (at least 1/3 the amount for 100 on the deluxe tray on the fruit tray page, or 1 1/2 times the tray for 25).
ellen
08/03/11
Dana, if this is all ready to eat weight, I suggest 10-12 brisket and 8 each of the others. Everybody takes some brisket. That is if there are also rolls/bread and sandwich fixings.
Devan
09/15/11
My family and I are preparing all the food, buffet style for my wedding next month. This is our menu: beef carnitas (buying all prepared, but uncooked) Pork Chile Verde, and Tacos el pastor with mexican rice and beans and a toppings type bar for. we have a guest count of 110 including adults and children. I plan on making the green chile in electric roasters (22 qt)but do not know how many quarts I would need to feed that many people so I am not sure how many roasters to buy to cook and serve from. I also am not sure how much pork to get for the chile verde and the tacos el pastor. I plan on using boston butt as its the most tender. My mom thinks we should have chicken tortilla soup too, but I am worried this is too many options. If I did the chicken tortilla soup is it cheaper to do whole chickens? and how many would I need? I know this is a loaded question, but I am starting to worry b/c my stepdad is so random with the quantities, think he is just guessing and I dont want to run out of food or go overboard. Thanks soooo much
Fred
09/15/11
I am wondering, how many people will 200lbs of leg quaters and 9 briskets feed?
ellen
09/15/11
Devan,

I would skip the soup and add an appetizer table with fruit trays, a slasa dip and chips, and a cheese tray

All these for the meat:
beef carnitas, allow 2 pounds raw per 6 people
pork Chile Verde, 1 pound pork per 6 people, to make 1/2 cup per person. One roaster full holds about 14 quarts total for stews, so that should be about right.
Tacos el pastor,1 pound pork per 8 people
Tortillas, 4 per person, mixed corn and flour

mexican rice- about 8 pounds dry rice
beans- about 8 pounds dried beans

toppings bar- use the amounts on the taco bar for 100 on this site.

ellen
09/15/11
200 pounds leg quarters is enough for about 250 people. Briskets vary a lot in size, go by weight. 1 pound raw well trimmed brisket serves 2 people. If you have both chicken and beef, have someone serve the beef, or you will run out before everyone has some.
mary
10/21/11
I am making barbeque pork out of pork loins for 35 women at a bridal shower. I also have 5 lbs of chicken. How many lbs of pork do Ineed to cook?
ellen
10/22/11
About 9 pounds. I like pork shoulder better than loin for shredded pork.
Dorothy
10/30/11
When purchasing ready cooked and sliced brisket, how many pounds per adult?
ellen
10/30/11
1 pound per 4 sandwiches, 1 pound per 3 plates/adults.
Amiee
10/30/11
I am cooking for a party of 30 farmers and there wifes, i am smoking a brisket but not sure how many pounds, i am serving baked pot, veg, salad and dinner rolls?
ellen
10/31/11
Assuming you mean 60 people and these are not light eaters, you need about 30 pounds raw well trimmed brisket if you are slicing it yourself; it shrinks almost 50%. If it is self serve, you may need to add a second 10 pounds.
kari
11/08/11
How much ham do I need for ham sandwichs for 75 people? And how many buns? It is going to be mostly adults. Also I want to do Meatballs in a crock pot and cocktail wienies. I will have potato salad, deviled eggs, veggies and dip and chips. Could you tell me the amount you would recommend for all these items?
ellen
11/09/11
Kari, quantities for most of these foods are discussed in some detail on the various planning pages. For example, amounts for sandwiches for various functions such as meals, receptions, tea parties- see the sandwich event page.

potato salad, plan for 100 page
deviled eggs, recipe for 100, use 3/4
veggies and dip, veggie tray page
chips, plan for 100 page

Take a look, work up an estimate and post it, and I will be glad to review it for you.

Meatballs in a crock pot and cocktail wienies as appetizers, I allow 2 ounces of each per person.

polly
11/17/11
We're serving a lunch for church with about 150 adults and 60 kids. We're serving enchiladas, beef/chicken tacos with lettuce, tomatoes & cheese for toppings. Sides are corn cake, rice, beans, green salad. We are catering the beef & chicken for the tacos, but I don't know how many pounds total of the beef & chicken. I think most people will eat beef over chicken so I'm thinking more beef. How many pounds total of beef & chicken assuming most will have at least 1 taco. Not a lot of heavy eaters, but some.
ellen
11/18/11
Many of the kids may do just tacos and no enchiladas. I would plan for 300 tacos, 200 beef, 100 chicken, which is maybe 35 pounds of cooked ready to eat beef, 18 pounds of chicken.
tina
12/02/11
i'm having my son's open house and i'm thinking of having approx 100 people and right now my menu consist of 50 lbs of pulled pork, 15 dozen of buns, 40 lbs of coleslaw and baked beans would this suffice?
Angela
12/02/11
I'm planning a party for 200 (mixed adults & kids). We're having a Syrian chicken dish and I need to know the equivalence between chicken with rib attached vs boneless skinless breast meat. Boneless I was planning on 70-75 lbs, but I'm not sure if I need to double for the breast w/rib-- if so I'll stick with the boneless skinless, as the price will work out the same for far less work, but expense is a consideration. Thanks for this AMAZING resource!
ellen
12/03/11
Tina, you are good, you only need 25 pounds of slaw at most, and 4 gallons of beans.

Angela, I would get just about 110 pounds with ribs.

Linda
12/19/11
I am having 8 adults, 3 children for Christmas. I am serving deli ham,turkey, and 2 kinds of cheese for sandwiches. With that will be meatballs, cheese balls, veggie trey, jello salad, summer sausage, crackers, dips, chips, etc. How much deli meat and cheeses are needed per person?
ellen
12/19/11
You posted twice, see the other one. Allow 2 ounces of sliced cheeses per person for the sandwiches.
Romel
12/21/11
I am buying brisket Sausage and Potato salad for 60 people how many pounds do i need
ellen
12/21/11
About 12 pounds of brisket, 7-8 pounds of sausage, 2 1/2 to 3 gallons potato salad.
Traci
12/23/11
I am having a buffet style dinner for 13. I have a 10-12 lb turkey coming, a 3.5 lb stuffed turducken breast, and a 3.5 lb rump roast. Sides are mashed potatoes, salad, mac and cheese, green beans. Is this enough meat for everyone?
ellen
12/23/11
This is plenty! The turkey alone would be sufficient, given the sides usually served with this meal.
Katie
12/28/11
I am having a NYE party - mid 20s/early 30's. 65% Female and 35% Male (50 people). We will have various dishes - vegetarian baked ziti, pigs in blanket, chips/queso/salsa, meatballs and chicken skewers. We are doing sliders as well (beef and pork). How many pounds of beef and how many pounds of pork should I get to accommodate? Thanks! :-)
ellen
12/28/11
Slider make about 10 to the pound, and I would plan on 1 of each for the ladies and 2 beef, 1 pork for the guys.
Robin
03/28/12
I'm planning a reception dinner for my daughter's wedding. Approx. 225+ guests. The menu is beef brisket, rolls, potato salad, cole slaw, cobbettes, baked beans and watermelon. I thought 115 ilbs brisket, 8 gallons each of the salads and beans 1 cobbette per person, 1 1/2 rolls per person and about 8 large watermelon. Does this sound sufficient? Mostly adults but about 25% children. I'm wondering if I need a second meat such as chicken thighs as an option for those people that don't eat red meat...but I'm concerned about prep time.
ellen
03/28/12
You have enough brisket, and it is a meat that takes well to cooking ahead, slicing and reheating.

8 gallons each of the salads and beans for 225, I would do 12 potato and 8 slaw, and 9 beans

1 cobbette per person, have about 10% extra?

1 1/2 rolls per person, OK don't forget about butter- 6 pounds- and I would put out sandwich condiments for 100, see the sandwich page

8 large watermelon- OK if there is also cake.

I would DEFINITELY do a nibble table (actually, two- one per 100)- a dip or two, chips, cheese and crackers, oneother thing, and one or two punches/lemonade (two if one is alcoholic).

Coollen
03/29/12
i am having a graduation party how much of each food do i need? pulled pork on a bun ,potato salad , beans,veg tray, fruit tray, and chicken salad how much of each food do i need
ellen
03/29/12
Coollen, how many people?
ronda
03/31/12
how much
Planning food for a wedding, expect about 120 people. My menu brisket & pork loin, potato salad,
3 bean salad, baked beans, coleslaw and fruit tray. How much of each food do i need.
Lori
04/12/12
How many sandwiches should I be able to get out of 5lbs of chopped pork BBQ with sauce? I am using the regular sized hamburger buns.
ellen
04/13/12
Ronda,
120 people.
brisket & pork loin, for party portions, 1/2 pound raw brisket per person PLUS 1 pound pork loin per 5. Why so much? See 5/16/08.

3 bean salad, counts as a vegetable, about 22 pounds per 100

potato salad,baked beans, coleslaw and fruit tray, are a;ll covered specifically in the plan for 100 table and the fruit tray page, use those amounts..

ellen
04/13/12
Lori, about 4 per pound.
Linda
04/14/12
I have been asked to cater the meat portion of a wedding reception, they have invited 350 people (of which I know not everyone will attend--any ratio that is used to plan on those that might attend?) They want smoked brisket and smoked pork loin. What is your advice on the amount to purchase of each? Thank you for this great site!!
ellen
04/15/12
Usual estimate is 85% unless there are a lot of out-of-town invitations.

This is an expensive meal. You need 1/2 pound raw brisket per person PLUS 1/4 pound smoked pork loin per person for buffet service, party-size portions.

If you make a good fee, please consider a donation to support this site.

Celeste
04/19/12
There is an event for our university in which our club needs to prepare a food dish for 200+.

We want to make Carne Asada with tortillas and rosted green onions.

How much meet we will need, tortillas, and green onions?

ellen
04/20/12
40 pounds meat per 100, 4 tortillas, per person, 1 pound onions per 5. Add rice and beans and lettuce salad.
sandy
05/22/12
For a graduation open house. We are planning on 250. Menu is Shredded Beef Sandwiches, nachos with ground beef and fixings, cup cakes, mints and cole slaw. How much shredded beef and ground beef, buns should be prepared?
Time of day is 2 to 5
Joyce
05/24/12
Planning a BBQ. I have 13 adult males, 13 adult females, and 5 children under 6. Menu includes salad, bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeño shrimp, cheeseburger sliders, hot dogs, baby back ribs, chicken thighs, pasta salad, creamed corn, potato salad, and desserts. With all of this food, how many pounds of each meat should I have on hand?
ellen
05/24/12
I would do 1 pound ready to eat shredded per 4 plus 1 pound cooked ready to eat taco meat per 6. 2 small buns, 1.2 large per person
ellen
05/24/12
Sandy, double post, see the other one.

Count as 1/3 of 100.

salad, see plan for 100

bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeño shrimp, 3 per person
cheeseburger sliders, 2 tiny per person
hot dogs, skip, unnecessary
baby back ribs, 1/2 pound per person or at least 2 ribs, if someone serves
chicken thighs, 1 per person

pasta salad, creamed corn, potato salad, and desserts. See plan for 100 an dessert planning page.

Joanne
06/12/12
Hi I'm planning a wedding midnight lunch , will be served about (9:30 -10) Total amount of people is 160..
We are serving Shredded beef, buns, potato salad(the egg one) People salad with onioins and oil and vinegar, cheese, veggie tray, romain lettuce and sides for salad, dressings, condiments..Not sure on how much to purchase, and also which cut of roast beef would be the best quality and taste to purchace?
ellen
06/12/12
Joanne,count on 3/4 the amount for a meal. See the sandwich page, prepare an estimate, and post and I will check for you. You need a meat slicer to get thin deli slices; then you can use top round. For shredded, chuck.
Vicki
07/13/12
Joanne, I am having a party for approx. 90 people. I will be serving the following meats: meatballs, cocktail sausages, sliced ham and turkey sandwiches. How many pounds of each meat will I need. There will also be mac n cheese, baked beans, potato salad, chips and dip, a chocoalte fountain with fruits, etc. and cake.
Vicki
07/13/12
Sorry, I ment to type Ellen. Also this is for a grad party from 1-5pm.
ellen
07/13/12
meatballs, 1 pound per 5
cocktail sausages, 1 pound per 5
sliced ham and turkey sandwiches. about 3 ounces meat per person, divide according to local taste
denise
07/15/12
I need your help. Im making green chili with rice and beans I wanna feed 350 people so how much shoild I get for each iteam? Mainly I need help for the mea ponds?
ellen
07/15/12
I allow 20 pounds of beef for 80 people, in a recipe that also includes 6 pounds of dried beans in the chili, If you are making a meat-only chili, you will need about 32-35 pounds of meat for the same crowd.

Rice and beans, see the plan for 100 page or the chili page.

leann
07/16/12
How much canned beef and chicken shredded for sandwiches will be needed for 60 guest. Having a early afternoon wedding reception. Also serving small round potatos and greenbeans. Do I need to add other dishes?
ellen
07/16/12
1 pound beef per 3 plus 1 pound boneless chicken or 2 pounds whole chicken per 5, will leave you with some left over.
Sharon
07/28/12
Doing birthday party for 60 people doing ham and turkey sliders. How many pounds of meat do I need?
ellen
07/28/12
1 pound turkey per 5-6, plus 1 pound ham per 8, msomewhat depends on the rest of the menu.
Bob
08/12/12
Doing sober fest doing Pulled Pork and Chicken leg quarters.I want to know how many people 40lbs of leg quarters will feed and how many people an 8/lb pork butt will feed serving on hamburg buns.I intend to split chicken leg quarters.Thanks!!!
ellen
08/12/12
The chicken, 40-50. Assuming bone in butt,about 20 sandwiches.
Kendra
08/27/12
How many pounds of cooked stewed chicken do I need to feed 100 people?
ellen
08/28/12
About 40 if it is actually in a stew.
Jessica
08/28/12
I am having a wedding in three weeks. We are cooking the food. There are about 175 people. We want to have chicken and Italian beef. We are also making mostocolli. How much of each of these should we make so we don't run out of food?

Thank you

Dianne
08/29/12
I am cooking for a marriage course for 24 people. How many chicken drums do you think I will need in total to be safe(they are good size drums)?
Also how many mixed vegetables will I need to buy? in Kg's?
ellen
08/29/12
Do 60 and you will have a few left.

You want 6 pounds vegetables, which I think is about 2.6 kilos.

ellen
08/29/12
1 pound beef per 3 if plated, 4 if sandwiches PLUS 1 pound boneless raw chicken per 4 PLUS 1 pound dry pasta per 6.
Dianne
09/03/12
Hi Ellen!

Your help at estimating how much food to make was so appreciated! I found out that the Dinner was a real success! Could not have estimated correctly without your help!
THANKYOU!

cheers Dianne

Cindy
09/10/12
Hello, I am hosting a baby shower in a few weeks and will be cooking a mexican style barbacoa (shredded beef) using beef chuck roast. How many pounds do you think I need to serve approximately 75 people? And how much more (pounds) over that amount of people?
Cindy
09/10/12
Hello, I am hosting a baby shower in a few weeks and will be cooking a mexican style barbacoa (shredded beef) using beef chuck roast. How many pounds do you think I need to serve approximately 75 people? And how much more (pounds) over that amount of people?
Evs
09/18/12
How many pounds of raw beef do I need to feed 60 people?
ellen
09/19/12
Cindy, 1 pound raw beef per 3 if plated, per 4 if sandwiches
ellen
09/19/12
Evs, Depends on the cut and the menu; for example 1 pound raw brisket per 2 for plated, per 3 for sandwiches; 1 pound ground beef per 5 for appetizer meatballs, per 3 for entree. There is a pretty good discussion on the plan for 100 page.
Karyn R
09/21/12
Taco bar at my wedding
Hi Ellen,
Im planning on doing a Taco bar for my wedding with Ground Beef, Ground Turkey and Ground Elk. My wedding is 130 people. Any Ideas on how much meat im gonna Need? And also any suggestions would be great. Thanks
ellen
09/21/12
Covered in detail on the taco/potato bar page, along with suggestions for a fiesta menu for a wedding. Use 1 1/3 times the amount for 100. Have fun.
gwen
09/23/12
Hi Ellen,
We are preparing the dinner for our daughter's wedding reception. There will be 70 people and we are serving chopped smoked BBQ, chicken breasts (bone-in) and baby-back ribs for the meat. The side dishes will be macaroni and cheese, cole slaw, baked beans and corn-on-the cob. Could you please tell me how much meat you think I might need as well as the mac&cheese? Thank you.
ellen
09/23/12
Use 3/4 the amounts for 100 for theitems covered on the plan for 100 page for the meat, for a wedding 70 diners (did you count the wedding party and any staff/helpers?) I would do:

1/3 to 1/2 pound baby back rib PLUS
1 pound bone in chicken breast per 3- I would probably split the breasts to make about 4 pieces per pound PLUS
1 pound ready to serve bbq per 5-6

8 pounds dry mac for the mac and cheese

If this saves you time, trouble, or money consider a donation to support the site.

Christie
09/26/12
How much food do I need?
Hi we are having a party for my son and there is about 130 guests. We want to do brisket, sausage and rice and beans. How much do I need of each for a crowd this size? Also once I cook it does it go directly into the chafing dishes?
Thanks!
ellen
09/26/12
brisket, 2 pounds per 5 PLUS
sausage, 1 pound per 5
rice and beans, 8 pounds dry of each per 100

If he is a teenager, 1 pound brisket per 2 would not be too much, if it is plated. You can stretch it by offering good rolls so people make sandwiches.

Gary Berry
10/21/12
BBQ Wedding
Going to have 150 people, Cooking port butts and baby back ribs, how much of each would you need to have enough, going to do burgers and hot dogs for the children.
ellen
10/21/12
I believe is serving everybody the same, most kids like ribs and pork.

Anyway, for these mixed meats, 1 pound raw boneless pork butt for 3 plus 1 pound ribs per 3. You need a side dish that can serve as the entree for people who don't eat pork, such as mac and cheese.

Cinthia
10/23/12
We are serving 150 for Thanksgiving. We will be having ham and turkey, but I'm not sure how much of each to buy. Help!
ellen
10/23/12
Covered in detail in the shopping for large community meals section at the top of Big Pots.
Natosha
10/24/12
I'm catering a luncheon and they've asked for roast and chicken. How many pounds of each should I prepare? The guests are being asked to select either/or NOT both. Thanks.
ellen
10/25/12
Unfortunately, you have to supply without knowing who selected what. The usual caterer's strategy is to provide each person with 5 ounces cooked beef (that's 2 pounds raw per 5) PLUS 3 ounces cooked chicken (1 pound boneless skinless or 2 pounds whole per 4).
bill
11/07/12
turkey and ham to be served for about 25 to 30
adults ranging from 70 to 90 years of age.
ellen
11/09/12
If these are well, active adults, use the shopping guide for community dinners in the top section of big pots and reduce just 10%. In other words, about 1 pound ready to serve ham per 6 PLUS 2 pounds ready to serve turkey per 7. There are turkey yied tables in the same section.
Carmen Grubbs
11/10/12
How many pounds of Pernil (roast pork) is needed to feed 60 people.
ellen
11/10/12
Carmen, what is the rest of the menu, and are there other meats?
Kathryn
11/10/12
Plamning my daughters wedding. We plan to have 300 ppl. How do we find out how much turkey, meatballs, and ham we need.
ellen
11/10/12
This is too big a party for inexperienced cooks. Talk to your caterer-

You are talking 130-150 pounds whole turkeys, 60 pounds ham...

Carmen
11/14/12
Besides pernil we are serving ziti, toss salad, mac salad, appetizers,there will be desserts, candy bar and there will be another meat.
ellen
11/14/12
Carmen, good, what s important for the estimate is that there is another meat. About 20 pounds raw.
Christina
11/14/12
Serving 150 for a wedding, we are having brisket and link sausage, new potatoes in gravy, and pinto beans. can you tell me how much I should buy of each.
ellen
11/16/12
Raw weight brisket, 70-75 pounds (it shrinks a lot) plus 30 pounds sausage.

50 pounds potatoes, 2 1/2 to 3 gallons gravy, 5 gallons pinto beans.

How about 5 gallons slaw, 2-3 gallons pickles and onions, 18 pounds bread or rolls?

If this saves you time tr0uble or money, consider a donation to support the site.

Rosa
11/16/12
Have 40 people for dinner
how many pounds of turkey and ham do I need ?
side dishes are stuffing, cream corn , vegetable dish, and
mash potatoes
ellen
11/16/12
See the shopping for community dinnetrs article at the top of Big Pots. Deals specifically with the turkey-and-ham dinner.
Veronica
11/19/12
We will be serving red chile with chicken for 400 people how much chicken will we need. It will be served with rice and beans and salad
Anna
11/19/12
Number of pieces of drumsticks in 30 lbs
I am cooking for 50 people how many pounds of these would I need. They are hearty eaters.

filet fish, roast pork, chicken drumsticks

ellen
11/19/12
I would buy:
1 pound raw boneless pork per 3
1 pound raw fish per 4
60 drumsticks.

You will have some left, but not too much, and everyone will get their preferred choice.

tonia
11/23/12
I am feeding 350 people for a buffet Christmas dinner how many pounds of a slice boneless spiral ham will i need
ellen
11/23/12
If this is the only meat and it is buffet, about 140 pounds.
Jan
11/26/12
how much bbq sauce do I need for 400 links of saus
I am having a fund raiser with 400 sausage links and don't know how much sauce I need. Can you tell me?
ilona
11/26/12
i need to make 2 a piece beef enchiladas for 85 pepole.how much beef would you use?
babi
11/26/12
I will have 75 adults for a dinner (buffet), and my menu it is
Appetizer: Cantalope and prescuito; salmon dip, spanakopita, cold shrimp with sauce.
Dinner: Chicken Parm, Pork Loin, baked potatoes, baked ziti, green salad and grill vegetable. Can you please let me know how much of chicken and pork i will need, thank you !
ellen
11/27/12
Jan, about 1/4 cup per person.

Ilona, 1 pound ground beef makes about 10 enchiladas.

Babi, 1 pound raw boneless pork per 3 (a bit more if they are big eaters), PLUS 1 pound raw boneless skinless chicken per 4

Qween
12/09/12
Measurements Please
Hi.. Feeding 125 guest the menu is Baked Chicken wing fling, Swedish meatballs, macaroni salad with tuna, cheese & crackers platter, tossed salad & ice tea to drink. Please give me the breakdown pound measurements for each and also how much tuna for the Mac salad..thank you so much..
ellen
12/10/12
Baked Chicken wing fling, don't know what this is? If single pieces of wing, at leat 6 per person.
Swedish meatballs, 1 pound per 4

macaroni salad with tuna,6 pounds dry pasta per 100, tuna for that amount of pasta per your recipe- varies a great deal

cheese & crackers platter, 1 pound cheese per 10, 1 pound crackers per 12-15

tossed salad- see plan for 100 page

ice tea- see beverage planning page

Michal
12/11/12
For spiral ham 'only meat' meals - your estimates are about .33 to .4 pounds per person. Is this the weight of the ham I actually purchase or is it the weight of the ham cut off the bone? I'm doing a buffet luncheon for 65 senior citizens - do I need (3) or (4) 8-9 lb. hams? THANK YOU!
Stephanie
12/16/12
How far out in advanced can I buy my meat?
ellen
12/16/12
What kind of meat, how packaged, what kind of storage/cooler/freezer? For example, cryovac meat keeps weeks refrigerated, if unopened. Mass market ground beef, only 3 days.
Paula
12/27/12
Hi! We are having a backyard bbq for our wedding reception and our dads are manning the grill. About how much steak should we purchase per person? We are also having shrimp and scallop kabobs. How many should we count on person?

Thank you so much for your help!

ellen
12/27/12
This is a costly menu! How many people? Would you consider adding chicken kabobs to help with costs? Also, you have to tell me how many people and what else is on the menu. Write back.
Grammy to be
01/01/13
HI
I am planning at home family baby shower - about 38 adults, 10 children. My menu: Ground Beef BBQ, sausage and peppers, pulled chicken BBQ, Mac & Cheese and some side salads. What are your recommendations for amount of meat per person. Thank you!
ellen
01/01/13
Suggest you tweak the menu and do chicken legs instead of pulled chicken. Children under 12, count as 1/2, over as adults.

5 pounds dry pasta and 5 quarts sauce for the mac and cheese.

1 pound beef per 6 for the sloppy joes, 1 pound sausage per 5 for the sausage, 1 piece leg per person.

Grammy to be
01/01/13
Thanks for the info but another question, instead of chicken legs, making a shredded chicken recipe - what would your recommendation be for amount. This is for all sandwiches comfort food theme.
Grammy to be
01/02/13
Cooking Ahead
How many days in advance is safe to prepare all meat dishes?
ellen
01/02/13
Ground meat, day ahead, chunk meat will hold 2-3 days if clean to start with and carefully prepared, quickly chilled and safely stored. Freezer best option for any longer.
Judy
01/03/13
how many pounds of barbecue pork do I need for a wedding of 200 people we will also have chicken breast. how many pounds of chicken would I need. We're going to give them I choice between pork and chicken.
ellen
01/03/13
This usually goes 5 to 3 for pork, so for 200 people you are probably looking at about 125 pork and 75 chicken.

The pork would be 65-70 pounds raw boneless or 125 pounds ribs.

The breast would be 8 ounces raw boneless or 1 pound bone in per person,

With 200 people, you need to plan for about 10 non-meat eaters. I suggest several packages of Boca burgers or morning star burgers to accommodate the vegetarians.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, consider a donation to support the site.

Anna
01/17/13
How many pounds of Brisket do i need for a BBQ plate sale of 700 plates?

Rice and Beans too?

Jen
01/17/13
First of all, thank you for being here online, so helpful! I will be doing a wedding for 150 people. We are doing a taco bar. I wondering how much Pork (using boneless shoulder), Chicken( boneless breasts) and Yams ( i cube them and sautee in butter and spices) to purchase. The yams will be very popular for this particular crowd. Any idea? We will also have a side dish, like black beans and maybe a green rice. Also- can you heat up corn tortillas and then put them in a chafing dish? Will they keep pliable for 1-2 hours in there? THANK YOU!!!!!!
ellen
01/17/13
Jen, go to the taco bar page for the amounts, how to heat tortillas, etc. The yams are a great side dish. Do 55 pounds if you do not serve rice. Do 35-40 if you do serve rice.

Anna, I do 1/2 pound raw brisket per person for a generous party serving. With plenty of sides, you can do 1 pound for 3, if you cook it low and slow to minimize shrinkage.

Meg
01/20/13
Best way to cook shredded roast beef
Cooking 125lbs of shredded roast beef, what's the best way to cook such a large amount? (Ex. Crockpots, oven)
ellen
01/21/13
Slow roast covered in the oven. 200-225 degrees, 1 hour per pound of largest piece- you do NOT calculate time by total weight- then shred and sauce. May then freeze.

If you are talking about reheating already cooked, it needs to be thawed in the fridge, then reheated in the oven at 300, allowing about 1 hour per inch of depth in a very large pan, less in smaller pans.

Sarah
01/23/13
We are having a birthday party for my son (lunch) and I am making shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches. There will be 30 adults and about 10 kids (all age 6 and under). How many pounds of chicken would you reccomend?
ellen
01/23/13
About 10 pounds boneless
melissa
01/28/13
I'm having my wedding soon and would like to have pulled pork, bbq'd brisket, and bbq'd chicken to feed 100-150 people but have no idea how many pounds of each to buy. Also all will be pre-cooked and there will be sides. Thanks
melissa
01/28/13
*un-cooked
ellen
01/28/13
You have to settle your numbers. There is a big difference between 100 and 150.

pulled pork, 1 pound raw per 5
bbq'd brisket,2 pounds raw per 5
bbq'd chicken, 1 single piece per person

If yhis saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation to support the site.

Lana
02/13/13
Hello there! I am making sausage and brisket for my wedding. How many pounds of each meat should i have for 200 people? Thank you so much!!
ellen
02/14/13
If it is buffet style, 100 pounds raw well-trimmed brisket, 40-45 pounds smoked sausage.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please consider a donation to support the site.

Brenda
02/21/13
Ellen

I'm having a party for 50 people. I'm planning on brisket, turkey brests that I have rolled and tied at the butchers that is brined and cooked ahead. I have no idea how much meat I should buy. For sides I'm doing potato salad, pasta salad & cole slaw all which can be done ahead of time. Guests are bringing apps and dessert. Anyd help would be appreciated. Brenda

Tammy
02/21/13
bbq sauce
How much bbq sauce do i need for 24lb of pulled pork? -with the option of loose or sandwiches. There are also sides of slaw, beans, b potato, and bread.
ellen
02/21/13
Brenda, for this selection, I do 1/3 turkey and 2/3 beef. 2 pounds raw brisket per 6 people and 1 pound boneless turkey breast per 4. Fruit trays and condiments would be added.

Tammy, I use a quart for 4-5 pounds.

Manny
02/25/13
Hi Ellen, I'm planning a party of about 400 guests and will consist of a brisket dinner which will consist of rice, beans, pasta salad and roll how many pounds of brisket will i need and how much do i serve per person?
ellen
02/25/13
If it is party-size servings, 1 pound raw trimmed per 2 people, and serve 5 ounce servings.

If it is a paid gig, please consider a donation to support the site.

sabrina
02/28/13
im having my wedding in 4 weeks n still have no idea how much meat i should get i have about 300 guest n im using carne(pig)
please help!!!
ellen
03/01/13
For party size portions:

Whole pig, 1 1/2 pound head on, 1 pound head off

Ribs, 1 pound per person

Boneless, 1 pound per 2

Karen
03/09/13
Hi Ellen, We are having a 50th anniversary party for my in-laws and it will be a buffet. I have looked at your other charts for food amounts, I just want to make sure I have this right. We will have about 225 guests I am most concerned with the meat I have figured as follows:
225 pieces of Broasted Chicken(wings,legs,breast & thighs)
60lbs Ham (sliced served cold)
1 roaster full Mostaccioli
1 roaster Scalloped Potatoes
1 roaster Cheesy Potatoes
Green bean cassarole
Baked Beans (1- #10 can)
Taco Salad
Macaroni Salad
7 Layer Salad
Pasta Salad
3 round med trays Mexican Dip/tortilla chips
2 lbs Spinach dip & pumpernickle bread
2 cookie sheets of veggie pizza cut into sm pcs
Veggie Tray
2 Jello Salads
20 dozen Dinner Rolls
Dessert- Cake
3 doz cupcakes
1 Pineapple Sheetcake
Cookies
Grape Salad
Pies
Banana Vanilla Wafers Bowl
Peanut Butter Brownies
Do you think the amounts are ok? We could even have more people,I wish people would rsvp! Would I be safe with this food for the 225? Thanks so much for you help I really appreciate it!!!
ellen
03/09/13
This is a lot of people and you don't specify the time of the party or how long, but assuming it is over lunch or dinner time and about 3 hours, this is how I would tweak it..

Appetizers
3 round med trays Mexican Dip/tortilla chips
you need 20 pounds chips and 3 gallons dips
2 lbs Spinach dip- you need 30 pounds & pumpernickel bread 15 pounds bread
2 cookie sheets of veggie pizza cut into sm pcs- I would plan 1 piece per person

225 pieces of Broasted chicken (wings, legs, breast & thighs)-OK
60 lbs Ham (sliced served cold)- OK

1 roaster full Mostaccioli
1 roaster Scalloped Potatoes
1 roaster Cheesy Potatoes

A roaster only makes about 50-60 servings, you need at least 1 more roaster. Keep in mind that each roaster requires a single 20 amp circuit- you can't double up-

Baked Beans (1- #10 can)- you need at least 5 gallons, which is 2-3 roasters
Green bean cassarole- 40 pounds green beans to start

Taco Salad
Macaroni Salad
7 Layer Salad

Pasta Salad- 12 pounds dry pasta

Grape Salad-30-40 pounds grapes
2 Jello Salads- about 30 pacjages jello

Veggie Tray- see veggie tray page, but consider doing 3 classic relish trays from the veggie tray page

20 dozen Dinner Rolls- do at least 1 1/2 rolls per person and 8 pounds butter

Dessert- Cake
3 doz cupcakes- do at least 1/2 per person, approx
1 Pineapple Sheetcake- only serves 50
Cookies- 2-3 per person- people eat lots of desserts at parties
Pies
Banana Vanilla Wafers Bowl- about 1/4 cup per person

Take a look at the dessert planning page- assume people will eat the equivalent of about 2 desserts total- cut small pieces-

If this saves you time, trouble or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support the site.
Peanut Butter Brownies

Mary
03/15/13
We are feeding about 280 people. Our meat is chicken breast and steak. About how much of each should I buy? It is a company lunch so there is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift.
ellen
03/15/13
Caterers usually allow 5 ounces beef plus 3 ounces chicken per person when they serve both. That is 2 pounds beef per 5 persons plus 1 pound boneless skinless chicken per 4 persons, or 1 piece whole chicken, per person.
Beverly
03/20/13
I am assisting w/ planning a meal for an elderly gentleman who died unexpectedly in an accident. There are very limited funds available to feed approximately 250- 300 people so I need your assistance.

The menu for the meal is chicken leg quarters, tossed and/or potato salad, green beans, roll & butter. Dressing for salads, beverage and dessert.

I want to verify the amount of food that will be needed so there will be enough for all in attendance w/o there being much leftover. Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Oh, the funeral is Saturday, March 23, 2013

Approximate Food Needed:
*200-250 lbs leg quarters (2 pieces per person) quarter cut in 1/2.
*4 large mixed salad bags
tomatoes ?
Cucumbers ?
* 8 gallons Potato Salad
*6 Lrg Cans Green Beans
*Dressings
Ranch
French
Italian
*Rolls 20-25 Doz.
*6lbs Butter
*Beverages

If you have an idea for a better and more budget friendly menu, your suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you in advance for all of the help that you provide.

Beverly

ellen
03/21/13
Sad occasion.

Since many of the people will be older, you don't need a full quarter per person. 2 quarters per 3 people is enough.

You can assure amounts by baking about 2 0 pounds dry rice into oven pilaf. Usual green beans for 300 would be 12 #10 cans.

For each 12 pounds lettuce mix, you want about 8 cucumbers and 6 pounds tomatoes. See the plan for 100 list for dressings, but it would be OK and less expensive to make just a vinaigrette with Italian herbs and oil and vinegar. Don't buy the tiny packets of mix: recipe for the herb seasoning is here:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/oamc/vegweek.html#italseas2

Marion Haas
03/25/13
A graduation party for 200 guest.
We are serving hot turkey and gravy cut up for sandwiches. It will be whole turkeys to buy. Also ham with the bone in. We will slice and serve in sandwiches. We also will have salads, veggie trays. Can you tell me how much meat to buy. Thank you.
ellen
03/25/13
1 pound whole turkey makes 1 cup meat, which makes 4 fat sandwiches, 5 more usual; 1 pound sliced boneless ham ready to serve makes 6 sandwiches. Plan about 2 per guy, one per girl and it comes out about even. 2/3 turkey sand, 1/3 ham.
Jim
03/26/13
sevving 200 adults dinner menu is boneless prime rib, chickem cordonblu, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, mushrooms, toss salad, rolls. I'm thinking 90lb rib, 30 chicken, 60 lbs potatoes, 4 #10 can corn, 2 #10 can mushrooms, 3ea 5lb mix salad, 17 doz rolls?
ellen
03/27/13
Jim, if this is buffet service, the usual catering allowance for party size portions is 5 ounces ready to eat beef PLUS 3 ounces ready to eat chicken. That is 2 pounds boneless raw per 5 people PLUS 1 pound raw boneless chicken per 4.

boneless prime rib, 80-85
chicken cordon bleu, 50
gravy, 1/4 cup per person

mashed potatoes, 90 pounds

corn,45 pounds (8-10 #10 cans)
mushrooms, OK

toss salad, see plan for 100 table, use twice

rolls, 2 small or 1.5 regular, (about 24 pounds) 6 pounds butter

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime a person, to support the site.

MFM
04/02/13
I am catering a wedding reception that starts at 7, but they only want pick up food..we are doing shrimp and grits (by request) and chicken skewers and bourbon glazed pork tenderloin with some sides. Its for 225-250 people..how much pork tenderloin do we need per person? And, total weight? Is there alot of loss when trimming like beef?
Thanks! Love all your posts!
ellen
04/02/13
If the wedding recdeption starts at 7, people will not have eaten before the wedding, and they will eat about 1 1/2 pounds of food at the reception.

You need enough shrimp and grits for 3 shrimp per person.

You need 3 chicken skewers per person (6 ounces raw boneless).

You need about 1 pound raw boneless pork per 3. There is almost no loss on pork tenderloin from trimming, some from cooking.

These folks need some bready appetizers to bulk out the menu, for example, small Italian rolls sevred with the pork.

Jennif
04/11/13
Cooking for a baby shower this Saturday problem is no one Rsvp. I'm predicting 65 people for sure men, women and kids. Going to cook shredded beef sandwiches in dinner rolls maybe two or three sandwiches per person. I'm cooking it in my huge crock pot. How much meat should I buy? My siblings always like to take some home. So id rather have extra! Thank you
ellen
04/11/13
Even a large crock pot is only 6 quarts. You need 38 pounds raw boneless for 65 good eaters. That can be done in the oven in a large roaster, or 2 18 quart electric roasters- but remember to plug them in in different rooms.
Misty
04/13/13
I'm planning a graduation party and we are doing shredded turkey sandwiches, with cole slaw, potato salad, baken beans and few pasta salads, chips, fruit, veggie tray. I'm wondring how many turkey breast I need to cook to feed 100 people?
ellen
04/13/13
You need about 35-38 pounds of boneless breast. I suggest you have a few quarts of a vegetarian sandwich choice as well, even if just egg salad or sliced cheese, for non-meat eaters. Consider preparing your beans and at least one pasta salad meatless for the same reason.
Judy
04/17/13
I'm planning a graduation party for about 225 people. We are having a taco bar. I would like advice on how many pounds of taco meat I should cook. I also plan to serve fruit kabobs refried beans, spanish rice, nachos, dips and cake. Do you have suggestions on how much I should plan to have?
ellen
04/17/13
Go to the taco/potato bar page and do 2.2 (2 1/4) times the amounts for 100, it also discusses refried beans, Spanish rice. You would add about 18 pounds of nacho chips, and 5 #10 cans nacho cheese sauce. Open only 4 to start, though.

Fruit trays are easier to make, hold better and the leftovers are more useful. Make a few kabobs for deco. See the fruit tray page. Make for 200.

Judy
04/17/13
Thank you for your information!
kevin
04/27/13
Im bbqing for a birthday for 150 people. I want to do boneless chicken thighs with my own marinate, how many lbs should I purchase?
ellen
04/27/13
See the chicken section of the plan for 100 table, do 1 1/2 times the amount for 100.
Dani
04/30/13
Hello I'm having a surprise party for my mom and husbands 30th and 50th. I want to do sloppy joes and pulled BBQ chicken or turkey. I have 112 RSVP now, sent out over 300 invites. I'm planning on 200 ish. I'd say 250 tops, but guessing 200, adults and kids but mainly adults. it's in 18 days. Dinner is at 6 but I want to have enough to set some back out at midnight (DJ till one am) how many lbs of each meat do you think? And what is cheaper turkey or chicken? Your help is greatly appreciated!!!! I'm doing this all by myself!!! Left overs is fine, I run a daycare so I can freeze left overs and use quick in the summer. I don't want to run out but expense wise I don't want to go way over board! Thanks thanks thanks!!

(Also doing baked beans and chips, some guests are bringing salads and bars, but just a few guests I think. And ranch pretzel mix on tables and m&m / nuts on tables )

ellen
04/30/13
OK. You can't safely freeze what has been out to serve, so I would make all the meat ahead, freeze in sauce, only pull out what you expect for dinner. Then after dinner, pull out whatever extra you will want for snack, thaw baggies in water, heat. Whatever is left, stays frozen, can be used safely.

Sloppy joes, use 40 pounds, makes about 130 people worth.
turkey or chicken, 28 pounds boneless which is about 56 pounds whole bird. Go by the best buy. Usually whole turkey or chicken leg quarters. About 100 people worth.

6 gallons beans
20 pounds chips for the meal, 1/2 quart dip per pound.
You need salads or fruit trays- see the fruit tray page or the plan for 100 page for salads.

Dani
04/30/13
Thank you
Dani
04/30/13
And I planned on keeping in roasters to stay at proper temp, so it can't be froze safe after if it was kept hot till it was put away?

Thanks in advance:)

Dani
05/02/13
So Ellen how many oz of BBQ do I need for the lbs of shredded turkey? Thanks!
ellen
05/02/13
Dani, I'm confused. If you cook it all night it will turn to mush. So cook well ahead (up to a month), freeze in sauce, thaw dinner portion overnight in fridge. With this much best to reheat in the oven, covered, 325 preheated. Hold once it reaches 165 in a 180 roaster. You will need at least 2, 3 would be better, and each one must be on a separate circuit (not just a separate plug) or it will blow fuses/circuits repeatedly.

About a cup of sauce in the freezer bag for each 6 pound butt. About 1/4 cup (2 ounces) per person for table sauce.

Dani
05/02/13
Ok thanks, no I just needed to Know sauce amount to buy in bulk. To unconfuse you...No I'm not cooking it all night. I will be cooking and keeping it in roaster to keep at proper temp while serving, refrigerate leftovers, then reheat some left overs if any for midnight, before DJ is done. I know you can't leave it cook all night. Dinner is 6-7. They it will be put away till 12 mid night or 1 am. Thanks for the help
Laurie
05/05/13
Amounts
I am planning a graduation party with 175 invited. My husband and I are at odds on the amount of food needed. Would you please give me the amounts I will need for each of the following: cocktail meatballs, veggie pizza, veggie tray with dip,chips,pretzels,breaded wing dings,3 meat & 3 cheese tray, BBQ pork, cheesy potatoes, macaroni salad, Italian pasta salad and cake. Thank you in advance. It is greatly appreciated.
ellen
05/05/13
cocktail meatballs, 1 pound per 6
breaded wing dings, 3 pieces per person
veggie pizza, cut in squares, 2 squares per person
3 meat & 3 cheese tray, 1 ounce each per person
BBQ pork, 1 pound per 6-8 (depends, if this is big football players, more than college grads)
need rolls at least 1 per person

veggie tray with dip, use veggie tray page

chips, 1 pound per 12, add 1 cup dip per 5
pretzels, 6 pound per 100

cheesy potatoes, use the recipe at the bottom of the brunch page, make for 150

macaroni salad,
Italian pasta salad
6 pounds total pasta per 100, you divide
add cole slaw, 2 1/2 gallons per 100

cake- 2 layer full sheet or 8 9x13 serves 100
I would definitely add fruit trays- at least for 100, see the fruit tray page.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support the site.

Judy
05/11/13
We have 75 people invited to a graduation party. Most are adults. We are serving chopped bbq brisket sandwiches, potato salad and chips. Is it better to cook the trimmed briskets or packer trimmed briskets, and how many pounds of raw brisket do I need to cook to have plenty of sandwiches.
ellen
05/11/13
1/2 pound raw per person. Oven, trimmed. Smoker, packer.
Patti Block
05/19/13
I am serving 120 people ham and turkey(deli style) subs with the trimmings, fruit, potato salad and chips. I have 6 inch hoagie buns, enough for 1 each. How many pounds of meat, salad and fruit and trimmings do I need?
patti block
05/19/13
I forgot to mention that these 120 people are kids and adults.
ellen
05/19/13
Patti, are you making the sandwiches ahead or are the insides self-served? And what are the ages and mix of the adults and kids?
Also, are they mixed meat or part ham and part turkey? It matters. Write back.
Carie Hurford
06/10/13
Hello Ellen, We are having a wedding reception serving about 200. I have approx. 57 lbs of cooked shredded beef and adding BBQ sauce for slider on Hawaiian sweet rolls. I plan on having 700 rolls. I have made 1350 meatballs that will be in a sauce, 600 deli pinwheels,4/ 5lb blocks of cheese for self slicing and vegetable tray. I am not sure about the veg, but plan on 6/ 3lb bags of baby carrots, 4/ bags of celery with 3heads each, 6/ 2lb pound bags of broccoli, and 2/2lb pound containers of cherry tomatoes and of course, ranch dressing for dipping? Does this sound ok?
Carie Hurford
06/10/13
I forgot to say that the wedding is at 2:00 and reception starting around 2:45-3:00 going until around 7:00 at the latest.
ellen
06/10/13
Yes, and you need an appetizer table to be up with 2-3 items and a punch or lemonade when people start to arrive- this is discussed several times in the wedding reception threads. A fruit tray and chips and dips would be very nice with this menu.

A party this size needs 3 serving lines (2 double-sided is even better), 3-4 people in the kitchen and about a dozen people to set up serve, and clean up the party. All not members of the wedding, especially not the bride and moms.

57 lbs of cooked shredded beef and adding BBQ sauce .
1350 meatballs that will be in a sauce,
600 deli pinwheels, plenty
700 rolls- 600 plenty
You need sandwich trimmings, mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato, etc, see the sandwich page
4/ 5 lb blocks- I plan 16-20 pounds per 100 and with the sandwich menu some should be sliced and at the meat table
You also need 12 pounds of crackers

vegetable tray- for 200 people, you need at least 30 pounds, but no more than an ounce per person of any particular one
18 pounds bags of baby carrots, 15 OK
4/ bags of celery with 3 heads each, plenty, some left
12 pounds broccoli, OK, some left
4 pounds cherry tomatoes, need 12 pounds, these go fast
ranch dressing for dipping 1 cup per 8-10

I would substitute 1 or 2 classic relish trays (see the veggie tray page) for part of the veggies, pickles, olives, etc

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support the site.

Kitty
06/11/13
Hi Ellen,
I am planning on serving boneless/skinless baked chicken breasts for approx. 150-200 people, how much chicken should I buy?
Kitty
06/11/13
Hi Ellen,
I am planning on serving boneless/skinless baked chicken breasts for approx. 150-200 people, how much chicken should I buy?
ellen
06/13/13
Kitty, see the plan for 100 table and plan for 200 unless you are certain there will be just 150.
kathy
06/14/13
I am having a graduation party next weekend. I am planning on having shredded beef sanwiches (using chuck roast) and having sliced turkey with gravy. Both being used for sandwiches.
I have 75 confirmed people with a possibility of 20 additional of my sons friends. How much of the meats should I buy.
ellen
06/14/13
OK, you have to allow for 100. 1 pound ready to eat beef per 5 plus 1 pound turkey per 6-7. There is a turkey yield table in the holiday cooking section at the top of Big Pots.
kim
06/17/13
we are doing our own food for our sons wedding. shredded beef (using tri tip), just the meat not on a bun, macaroni or potato salad, pasta salad & rolls. how much meat should we need? accounting for trimming some fat off. We will be having someone serve so people don't go overboard on servings. I figured 25-30lbs???
ellen
06/18/13
You don't say how many people? You need to plan 1/2 pound raw per person, no kidding.
cindy
06/19/13
Charity event
I am cooking for 300 people, never done it before and very unsure of food amounts. I am doing roast pork and roast beef. I am doing potato salad, mac salad, coleslaw and strawberry spinach salad and au gratin potatoes. For dessert a variety of cheesecakes. Can you please break down each one and let me know how many pounds I will need of each item? Thanks tons!!!
ellen
06/19/13
Is this some kind of award dinner? Roast beef for this many is quite expensive. Buffet service you would need 2 pounds raw per 5 PLUS 1 pound raw pork per 4.

potato salad, 25-30 pounds potatoes per 100, because of the hot potato side dish
mac salad, 6 pounds dry pasta per 100
coleslaw, 2 1/2 gallons per 100

strawberry spinach salad, there is a separate thread on this,
www.ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/40025.html

au gratin potatoes, 40 pounds raw potatoes per 100

cheesecakes, 22 to 24 pounds per 100.

If this is a paid gig, or saves you time, trouble or money, consider a donation, maybe a dime per person, to support this site.

kim
06/20/13
sorry. probably around 100
Dana
06/21/13
meat bun ratio
I am having 20 lbs pulled pork and 25 lbs of Italian beef, I ordered 50 kaiser rolled and 120 slider buns. I am expecting about 100 people for a graduation party and am expecting there to be more kids of all ages than adults, how far off am I on my bun to meat ratio?
cindy
07/07/13
Hi again. No this is not a paid event. I am donating my time and trying to raise money for the food and get donations. I was now told it would be for 200. I am not doing au gratin anymore or the cheesecake as the budget does not allow. I am doing my salads, potato, mac, coleslaw and strawberry. I am still doing the meats as well. C
cindy
07/07/13
Hi again. No this is not a paid event. I am donating my time and trying to raise money for the food and get donations. I was now told it would be for 200. I am not doing au gratin anymore or the cheesecake as the budget does not allow. I am doing my salads, potato, mac, coleslaw and strawberry. I am still doing the meats as well. Can you re-vamp it for me? Thanks tons.
ellen
07/08/13
Cindy, the only big change is, the potato salad, you would up it to 45 pounds raw potatoes per 100. The rest, you would just use 2 times the amount for 100 instead of 3 times.

A cobbler or dump cake would be a less expensive dessert option, small bowl, 15 servings per 9x13 pan, maybe a spritz of canned whip cream or a tiny (1/8 cup) scoop of vanilla ice cream on top for festivity.

ellen
07/08/13
Dana, sorry I missed your post, you should have been OK on your buns and had some meat left over...
ellen
07/08/13
Cindy, as I said before, beef is expensive. You could do roast pork loin, same amounts as the beef, for about 2/3 the cost.
Jenny
07/09/13
I have 115 adults and 25 children attending a graduation party. I will be having fried chicken and also I was going to make italian sausage with peppers and onions. Also will have 5 sides(pasta salads etc.) how much chicken should I order and how many pounds or links of sausage should I prepare?
ellen
07/09/13
Jenny, it depends on whether this is a sausage eating crowd, because that affects the balance of the 2 meats. Basically, about 180 pieces of chicken and 30 pounds sausages with equal weight veggies will give you plenty for everyone, maybe some left.
Jeanette
07/19/13
Hi Ellen,

i'm exhausted from planning my daughter's birthday. we have about 250 guest kids and adults. we are planning to have bbq beef and quarter legs (cut in half) and hotdogs served with rice and potato salad. can you please tell me how much pounds to get for each of the meats?

thanks

ellen
07/19/13
Jeanette, what age? Teens eat way more than younger- write back also what else is being served?
Amy Willis
07/23/13
Hi there, I am ordering BBQ by the pound for my baby shower in a few weeks and I am wondering how much to order for adults and how much for the kiddos, each? The menu consists of 7 layer salad, grilled zucchini and squash, corn on the cob, potato salad, macaroni salad, baked beans, broccoli and rice cassarole, and rolls. There will also be chips and dip, a large fruit baby tray, and cake. Just not sure with all the sides how much meat I should allot for each quest. Thanks so much for your assistance.

Amy Willis

ellen
07/23/13
1 pound per 3 adults unless it is for sandwiches, where you can usually do fine with 1 per 4; 1 pound per 5 for kids under 12. Wishing you good health, an easy labor and a beautiful princess or prince.
Amy Willis
07/24/13
Ms. Ellen,

Thanks so much for your help and rapid response!!! :D I just wasn't sure on the amounts, and want everyone to leave full and happy!!! Our little prince Jameson is due September 9th, thank you for the well wishes.

Sincerely,

Amy Willis

Amy

Teresa
07/24/13
We are having a rehearsal dinner for approx. 65 people. Serving Brisket how many lbs do I need. We will also be having Cole Slaw, Baked Beans, Fruit Salad and Chicken strips.
ellen
07/24/13
You need 33 pounds raw or about 25 cooked ready to serve. Add some rolls and butter.
Linda
07/29/13
dinner for 165 for church function. Serving baked salmon and baked chicken (bone in, assorted),broccoli casserole and mashed potatoes, rolls, and a tossed salad with a vinaigrette dressing. Not sure of amounts.
ellen
07/29/13
Depends a little on whether this is a fish-eating crowd-

baked salmon- 1 pound per 3
baked chicken (bone in, assorted), 1 piece per person

broccoli casserole, about 6 gallons

mashed potatoes, 70 pounds- some left, but they are inexpensive and popular
How about some chicken gravy, about 2 gallons

rolls,20 pounds, 4-5 pounds butter

tossed salad with a vinaigrette dressing, use the salad section of plann for 100, do 1 2/3 times the amount for 100.

See the beverage planning page for dinner level coffee and cold drinks. See the dessert planning page for desserts.

Kristin
08/15/13
Having a Boy Scout Court of Honor and expecting about 150 people to attend. We are serving hot turkey and gravy sandwiches. How many pounds will we have to cook to satisfy growing boys? We will also be serving side dishes as well. Thank you.
ellen
08/15/13
You will see on the sandwich page the difference between regular amounts and teen amounts. I allow 40 pounds of meat filling per 100 for teens- that counts the meat and the gravy.

1 pound whole turkey makes 1/2 pound meat. Two very fat sandwiches, or 3 good ones...

Have heavy side dishes (potato, pasta, hot or salads) and put them in front of the sandwiches on the serving line.

Lois
08/15/13
Our lodge is planning a mexican dinner for about 125. chicken and ground beef enchiladas, rice and beans. How much beef will I need and how much chicken. I am thinking the beef will be the best seller but want so chicken for those who don't eat beef.
ellen
08/15/13
If you do the chicken enchiladas as enchiladas verde, with green sauce and sour cream, they will be popular.

If this is a self serve buffet, count 3 enchiladas per male, 2 per female, 3/5 beef and 2/5 chicken. Add about 2 dozen for wiggle room. About 20 pounds lean ground beef and 15 pounds boneless chicken (thigh meat stays moister).

10 pounds dry rice, same dry beans.

Without fail, have shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, use the taco bar table as a guide for amounts. Also sour cream.

Fruit trays make the most delicious side or appetizer dish with this menu, see the fruit tray page for help with amounts.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation- maybe a dime per guest- to support the site.

batel
08/18/13
Pound of standing rib roast AND chicken per adult
Hi,

im making dinner for 44 people, standing rib roast and chicken.
How many lb do i need from each?

Thank you

ellen
08/18/13
1/2 pound bone in rib roast plus 1 piece (3 ounces boneless)of chicken per person.
Libby Cheshire
08/19/13
Pound of meat
Is 6 8lb raw Boston Butt pork roasts enough to feed a sandwich to 75 people. They will have to option for slaw and sauce.
ellen
08/19/13
Yes.
krista
08/21/13
We are serving 2 meats pulled pork and pulled chicken(we use whole chickens). How much of each will I need to feed 125 people?
ellen
08/21/13
Assuming this s for sandwiches, and self serve, you want 1 pound raw boneless meat per 4= 32 pounds. Usually, 1/3 chicken, 2/3 pork, so add in a little for fudge factor and I would start with 24-25 pounds boneless pork and 12-14 boneless chicken, which is 24 to 28 pounds whole chicken. You may have some left, but
Krista
08/21/13
I am serving 2 meats - pulled pork and pulled chicken (we cook whole chickens). How much raw pork and chicken do I need for 125 people?
Karen
08/22/13
I am making shredded hot chicken and shredded hot beef sandwiches for 25 people. How much chicken and beef do I need to buy and what kind of beef is best for flavor. Do you have recipes for these that are fairly easy?
ellen
08/22/13
Krista, you do about 2/3 pork and 1/3 chicken. So, about 40 pounds boneless raw pork (cooks down to about 30) and boneless chicken= 20-25 pounds, so bone in is about double that.
ellen
08/22/13
Karen, beef is usually about 3/5, second meat about 2/5. For 25 people, that is about 7 pounds raw boneless beef (I recommend chuck/ shoulder), 3 pounds boneless chicken, or I prefer, to double the weight and cook bone-in leg quarters for best flavor.
Lezlie
09/25/13
My friend talked me into catering my own wedding reception. How much for 200 guests.
Pulled pork (for sandwiches) chicken (legs, thighs, breasts, wings) and Mostacholi will be my main dishes. All will be prepared. Just need to know how many pounds of each. Thank you.
ellen
09/25/13
Lezlie, please read my wedding dinner article, button at the top of the main cook talk page.

If you have all the food dropped off, you still need 1 or 2 people in the kitchen during the wedding to set up and serve and for 200 people it takes about 8 volunteers to set up, serve, and clean up the party. These can't be part of the wedding, as they need to work during the ceremony. It takes 3 serving lines, or 2 double sided serving lines to serve 200 people buffet style.

Also you REALLY need an appetizer service, and here is why:

Before the Buffet; Why You May Need an Appetizer Table
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

One appetizer service area is needed for each 100 guests.

Now for the food:

Pulled pork (for sandwiches)- 1 pound per 5-6
Need buns, fixings; sliced onions 5 pounds per 100, pickles, 1 gallon per 100, slaw 2 gallons per 100
chicken (legs, thighs, breasts, wings)- 1 piece per person

Mostaccioli 8-10 full pans, depending on whether you have other starches and what the side dishes are. At least 1 meatless for the non-meat eaters in your guests; with 200 people, there will be some.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Susie
09/25/13
Planning a rehearsal dinner for about 70. I plan on having BBQ buffet style with Chicken, Brisket, and pulled pork with buns. Sides to be salad, potato salad and baked beans. How much of all the above for 70. Plan on 1/2 women and 1/2 of that number men. Thanks
Linda
09/26/13
I am going to a party which will have conch, shrimp and blue crab. I am bringing new York strips. There will be 8 adults and 7 kids. How much steak should I buy?
ellen
09/26/13
Yikes, tough estimate.About 9 strips if the kids are small and one or two of the ladies will share.
Rhonda Lawrence
10/08/13
I am serving 50-60 people at a reunion for Navy Korean War vets. At least half will be over 80 years of age. I am cooking roasts in crockpots with potatos and carrots. I am also cooking chicken breasts with rice as a second option. How much roast and chicken will I need? I am also serving a green salad, rolls, and dessert.
ellen
10/08/13
Approximately 25 pounds boneless beef, 13 boneless chicken breast (about 18 bone in).
"D"
10/18/13
Hi Ellen-

I appreciate any advice that you can give me. My finacee and I are on a hopeful budget of 5000.00 for the whole wedding. Do to lack of work, etc. Our guest list is around 360. I have been told 20%,30%, and recently that 50%to dont show. It is kind of a destination wedding but for most of the guest list it is 45min. to 1hr drive. We have meet with a couple catering companies putting a catering out price due to size at 19.00/per for apps & dinner. And of course upwards into the 20 & 30. I can't get agreement on where to cut the guest list to avoid this cost. So we have considered with probably not enough help to cook the meal ourselves. Preparing what ever we can ahead of time. I as the bride am stressed out about the cost and don't want to go far into debt for this! We have people that can cook but I am unsure if it is feasible for us to pull this off and would we be saving anything doing this ourselves. And is it worth all the time and stress it is going to cause? Any advice is welcome I have read through a bit on your site! So hear is the meal we would like to prepare. Please tell me what portions and what food quantities are required. I have been trying to research and calculate it myself. And will check what I have against your figures! I am even considering time of day and maybe doing a brunch or midday if we get married in am. Hors d'oeuvres half bbq meatball and half sweedish (precooked), cubed cheese, variety crackers, grape tomatoes, carrots, celery, bellpepper slices, premade ranch dip, hot spinach artichoke dip premade or cold spinach dip in pumpernickel bread bowl, red and green grapes, granny smith apple slices possibly, strawberries, when these run out they run out. Meal following: glumpke (stuffed cabbage rolls), mostacolli pasta and homemade vegetarian sauce, sauerkraut and polish sausage, a chicken entree we were thinking a chicken artichoke dish, a garden salad with dressings, dinner roll and butter. And possibly some type of potatoes. It was recently suggested to have scalloped instead of whipped potatoes or chunked up reds. Because they will hold up better?! And a wedding cake. With pop, coffee, beer and wine. Thank you for any help with this. I would rather have an afternoon/evening reception but our budget I don't think allows for it. We were supposed to get married in am, and have a break in day the half reception. I almost at my wits end with these decisions and not having one made. So I have considered brunch, lunch, cocktail instead. I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread but I didn't see another option!

"D"
10/18/13
Ellen- forgot vegetable from above was thinking a simple yet good vegetable. Green beans or beans and carrots. You can suggest something also. My husband to be wanted a morning wedding and I a afternoon / evening reception. But we have heard complaints about what are your guest going to do in the break. Myself I could think of a ton due to the location. But we keep hearing it. Looking for any advice!
dugout
10/18/13
Hi there....I've got a gig coming up in 3 wks feeding 150 people, 50-60 of those being HS football players....pulled pork, chicken quarters and cole slaw is what I'll be serving and I'm looking for a good, safe estimate on how much total meat I'll need to buy and also how much slaw I'll need to make....thank you.
ellen
10/19/13
Dear "D",
You are right to have some concerns. As a rule, 85% of the invited attend, though that is influenced by how many are family, or from out of town.

Also, this is WAY too many people for a self catered wedding by inexperienced people, especially with your budget. 60 to 120 is about right for that situation. You can have more parties after for friends, after- invite just the folks who will bless the wedding-

For a full meal for 300+ people, you are looking at 4-5 in the kitchen and at least 18-20 staff out front to set up, serve and clean up the meal. It requires 4-6 separate serving lines. At $100-150 per person, that just about uses up your budget without buying any food-

The menu would depend on the time of the ceremony and what kitchen facilities you have available. The one you are considering right now is quite labor intensive.

It is MUCH less costly to have a 10 AM wedding and a brunch, rather than a later ceremony and meal. The least expensive is a 2 pm ceremony with a dessert or tea reception following.

Also, when the guests are far from home, a long day is too long- a morning wedding with an evening reception is not feasible unless you can provide day time lodging in between.

So, you have a lot of thinking to do. I suggest, you read the wedding dinner article, then either start a new thread using the box at the top of the cook talk page, or email me privately, using the contact at the very bottom of the page- put "D's wedding" in the subject line-

ellen
10/19/13
Hey, dugout,

150 people, 50-60 of those being HS football players....

So you have about a hundred regular folk and the equivalent of 80-90 among the football players

chicken quarters, allow 1 quarter per player PLUS 1 piece (leg or thigh) per each other adult
pulled pork, 1 pound ready to serve per 6, which is about 1 pound raw boneless shoulder per 4
PLUS 1 roll per person
PLUS 8 pounds sliced onions and 1 gallon pickles
plus about 1 bottle of sauce per 10-12 for the table.

cole slaw- 20 pounds cabbage per 100, so close to 40 pounds, plus dressing and add-ins. There are a bunch of good recipes and tips about slaw on this site.

Add starchy salad (potato or pasta or both)- 35 pounds potatoes or 6 pounds dry pasta per 100, plus add-ins
Consider adding chips, 1 pound per 10 plus dip, 1 cup per 6
Fruit trays are always popular with this age group, also- plenty of watermelon

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

dugout
10/21/13
Ellen...thanks so much!

donation soon to follow :)

Karah
10/22/13
I'm planning my wedding
Hi I'm planning my wedding I'm goin to have Aprox. 80-95 people and I want to serve BBQ pulled pork which I planned on making it out of pork butt or shoulder which ever would be cheaper and Italian beef made of some sort of chuck roast again the cheapest how many pounds of raw meat would I need for each and I want to have 2 cold dishes and 2 hot dishes I was thinking baked beans, Mac n cheese, potatoe salad and cole slaw about how many lbs or gallons would I need of each of those? Thank you!
ellen
10/22/13
If you think 80-95, you might want to plan for 100.

When given the choice of beef or pork, about 60-65% of the people choose beef, and some will take both. For 100 people

baked beans, 3 gallons per 100
Mac n cheese, 10 pounds dry mac

potato salad, 40 pounds dry potatoes per 100
cole slaw, 20 pounds cabbage plus add-ins

You need an appetizer plan, here's why:
A self-catered buffet is a real challenge to the organizers, and things don't always come together as smoothly as hoped. By planning and setting up an appetizer area or "nibble table" which is ready when the guests begin to arrive, the cooks and servers have time to complete the arrangement of the dinner buffet. This is especially critical if there are children among the guests, or there is a wait before dinner, as at a wedding reception.

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch, or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits.

Virgie
11/03/13
Hi Ellen,
I am planning an all school Thanksgiving feast. There will be approximately 250 students and 50 to 75 adults. We are asking for parents to donate food. How much food do I need to ask for?!?!? :)
I was thinking turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, green beans, rolls, pumpkin pie, and apple pie. Is there anything I left out?
Thank you so much! :)
ellen
11/04/13
It depends completely on the ages of the students. How many perschool? 1-4 grade? 6-9 grade? 10-12? Also, what kind of kitchen, stoves/ovens and help will you have? Write back.

Also, you need to be asking local restaurants and other boosters for the larger items. Not all families can afford to donate a turkey.

Carlos
11/08/13
hey.
im hosting a annual car show this year and I'm also bbqing. this year we decided to make chicken and steak taco all the meat will be BBQ. my question is how many pounds of chicken and steak will i need to feed over 200+ attendees including children. I can't make a budget without knowing how much i need to buy first

Thank you in advance

ellen
11/08/13
I do 20 beef and 10 chicken (raw, boneless) per 100. All the rest is covered on the taco/ potato bar page.
Kathi
11/09/13
We are having a sunday school class party for adults. My husband is going to smoke a pork loin. Can you tell me how many pounds of pork loin I will need?

Thank you

ellen
11/09/13
For party size portions, self serve, some seconds, allow 1 pound per 2 people. If you have heavy appetizers or heavy sides, you can do 2 pounds per 5.
Hando
11/11/13
How many pounds of sliced ham do I need for approx. 200 buns. Also, how much baked beans?
Thank you
ellen
11/11/13
regular size buns, nice fat sandwiches, about 6 per pounds- 8 if there is lettuce, tomato, or cheese.

Baked beans, 3 gallons per 100.

sam
11/15/13
wow many cans of salmon should I buy, we are planning 45 to 60, we are making salmon patties, also we plan to fry fresh fish, how much fish would we need and a couple of breakfast meats.
ellen
11/16/13
You can use the plan for 100 lists for your fresh fish, but amounts matter- you use 1/2 for 45, but 2/3 for 60-65. Use the breakfast planning page for your breakfast meats.

Each can of salmon serves 4 for most recipes.

Ken Johnson
11/18/13
Pork Tenderloin
Can I cook the meat the night before and how do I reheat it?
Ken Johnson
11/18/13
Pork Tenderloin
How many pounds do I need to feed 125 people?
ellen
11/18/13
I takes care to reheat pork without drying, but can be done. Most successful with a sauce or grtavy. See reheating article at the top of .the Big Pots section.

50 pounds tenderloin per 100 for party size portions, so about 63 pounds.

If this saves you time, trouble or money please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site.

Renita
11/19/13
Do people typically eat more if they serve themselves verses being served at a buffet? I'm planning a wedding reception for 125 people . Serving BBQ beef. Cheesy potatoes green beans and bacon and salad .i just don't want to run out of food.
laura
11/20/13
I am planning a brisket sandwich fundraiser for our youth cheer squad. I need to know how many pounds of raw brisket I need to buy for 200 sandwiches? Once cooked how much per sandwich. Plz help! I don't want to buy too much or too little. TIA!!
ellen
11/20/13
Renita, yes, they usually take more if it is self serve, if you have budget issues, have someone serve at least the meat for the first round.

You also have NOTHING on this menu for vegetarian servce, and with 125 people, there will be some. Make some of the green beans meatless, and add a meatless choice to the entrees.

ellen
11/20/13
Laura, brisket is a coarse, fatty cut, and you only get about 9 ounces of cooked meat from a raw pound.

Cook low and slow to reduce shrinkage.

Chill thoroughly before slicing.

Weigh meat on the sandwich and use just over 2 ounces. That way, you will get about 4 sandwiches per pound, and need about 55 pounds of trimmed brisket.

Get really good bread/rolls, or use 4" of baguette. A crusty roll makes the meat go further.

Go, team!

Pablito
11/26/13
New york Steak serving for 300 people
We have a fundraising and we want to know how much pounds of new york steak do i need to order for serving 300 adult people.
ellen
11/26/13
150 pounds. Work with a real meat market or restaurant supply house to get standardized size portions.

Prime rib holds better for large dinners and costs about the same.

VAUN
12/10/13
Hey i am having a staff function and need to cater for about +-35 men,how much lamp chops,chicken,lamb sausages,chicken sausages and rolls should i buy
ellen
12/10/13
Is this men only? Is it a business function strictly or will they be relaxed and thus eating more? Will alcohol be served? What is the rest of the menu? All these affect amounts. Write back.
VAUN
12/11/13
Yes men only and big eaters, i plan to have 2 salads potatoe and beans salad.Colddrinks and beer is the only drinks.light snacks chips and dip,5 types of meat lamp chops,chicken drumsticks,lamb sausages,chicken sausages and wors.
Vaun
12/11/13
I was also considering buying a a whole lamb.what do you think would be best
ellen
12/11/13
OK, what I would do here is either the whole lamb or 2 chops per person, 1 each lamb and chicken sausage and not sure what
"wors" is, but if you mean worst sausages, add one of those per person. Bread, I would go with thin baguettes that would also make good sausage sandwiches, about 4" per guy plus a bit more- at least 1 pound per 4. Sandwich type condiments such as lettuce and tomato, and several different mustards, see the sandwich page and do 1/3 the amount for 100.
I would probably add a platter of sliced cheeses, about 3 pounds, just in case there is someone who is not meat eating that day.

If this saves you time trouble, or money, please consider a donation, maybe a quarter per guest, to support this site.

Richard Lohmeyer
12/24/13
We are feeding about 400 people one of the dinner items is a Bean Casserole, the recipe is Cut green Beans, Cream of Mushroom Soup, the people we are feeding are homeless, we volunteer at a Soup kitchen
ellen
12/24/13
French style green beans are better.

See this recipe, for under 400, do 6 times (18 #10 cans). If more than 400, do 7 times. The Chinese vegetables added really improve the casserole, but if you don't want to do that, all green beans is OK.

ellenskitchen.com/turkey/greenbean.html

You might want to have your team read this article:

ellenskitchen.com/turkey/turkintro.html

All the blessings of the season.

Cin
12/28/13
I'm having about 19 people total. About 15 adults and 4 kids. How many pounds of meat (carnitas, beef, chicken) do I need to make tacos enough for everyone? Not sure how many tacos it'll make and how many pounds I need. Please let me know. That'll be a great help if I can get an idea of how much meat in pounds I need to order.

Thanks,

Cin

ellen
12/28/13
If you look at the taco bar page, all the fillings and toppings are discussed. Just treat this as 20 people (1/5 of 100), and you want 3-4 beef and 2 of each of two others.
isabel
01/15/14
dear ellen
doing a night time buffet for 200 people we are planning on having baked ziti,cut up sausage with green pepper amd onions,sweet and sour meatballs,and breaded pork on a stick with cesar and garden salas,roll,veggie tray and pickle tray how much do i need to make thanks for all your help
Karen
01/16/14
Ellen, First, thank you, this is a fantastic site for amateurs. Second, I am planning a community meal for 100, on a Friday during Lent. My initial plan was 30-35 lbs ham and 20-25 lbs chicken. Then I realized during Lent, maybe I should have a non-meat main dish. So I thought of Chicken Lasagna, until I realized chicken is meat. sigh:c/ The meal must be one that can be prepped in advance, put in the oven and served. I will also have 18 lbs of cheesy potatoes, 3 gal gr. beans,4gal coleslaw, buns & dessert. Any suggestions? FYI, I am not a fancy cook, but cook the basics well. Finally, I looked at your cheesy potato recipe, what adjustment do you make when using the white sauce? Thanks so much, Karen
ellen
01/17/14
Hi, Karen,

Good thinking on meatless, With the cheese potatoes, would you consider increasing the potatoes to 30 pounds, (6 ounces per person), add a bean dish of some kind, 3 gallons, and add 6 gallons of a meatless soup (vegetable minestrone, pea, or cream of something?) This makes a great, modest Lenten supper.

For the white sauce, make the thick white sauce, 4 tablespoons flour per cup of milk, season well, and use like straight canned soup. I often add a few cups of plain grated Parm when using the white sauce.

If it goes great, take up a collection and send a donation to help support this site. Thanks.

ale
01/23/14
hi Karen I was wondering what would be a good serving size for grilled boneless chicken thighs per person
ellen
01/23/14
8 ounces raw per person for self serve party size portions.
Shelly
01/25/14
I'm having a bbq for 50-70 people how many pounds of carne asada should I prepare?
ellen
01/26/14
If it is the only meat, you need 2 pounds ready to eat per 5. If It is one of several, you need 1 pound per 3.
Jenny
01/31/14
Catering wedding of 200
I have decided to cater my own wedding and to be on the safe side I am planning 200 guests. I so far am planning on serving 2 different kinds of mashed potatoes, 2 different frozen vegetables, and dinner rolls. I am thinking of serving pork sirloin roast and roast beef for the meats. I am trying to figure out how many oz cooked of each will I need? I will be also serving 6 different appetizers during the cocktail hour. Thank you for your help and advise.
ellen
01/31/14
2 meats, you do 1 pound raw boneless of the first for each 2 plus 1 pound of the second per each 4. Or for the second, 1 piece of chicken per person (a quarter is 2 pieces).

2 different kinds of mashed potatoes, 45 pounds raw total per 100

2 different frozen vegetables, 20 pounds each per 100

dinner rolls. 2 per person, 3 pounds butter per 100

You need an appetizer plan, and here is why:

By the way, if this saves you time, trouble, or money, please consider a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support the site. Thanks.

Alice
02/06/14
catering a Beef & Beer fundraiser for 125
Hosting a Beef & Beer fundraiser for 125

menu:
roast beef, meatballs, baked ziti, mac & cheese, salad & rolls for the sanwiches.

cakes, cookies & brownies

veggie trays, meat & cheese trays with chips & pretzels

Do you think the menu choices are ok?
Any thoughts on the amounts needed?

ellen
02/06/14
Alice, if this is self serve buffet style and a fund raiser, I would definitely add at least one bean dish and one hot veg dish before they get to the meat. Also, are both the beef and the meatballs for sandwiches, and would you consider a pot roast or an Italian beef style sandwich rather than straight roast beef? It would be a lower base cost.

Write back and let me know.

Alice
02/08/14
Ellen,
definately self-serve buffet. I was thinking that sandwiches would be the easiest... but always open for suggestive menuand ideas. this is my first attempt at something like this and hope it can become an annual event to raise money for ACS.

once i fugure out what i am cooking - then i need to check into how to cook and serve. See, told you i was real green with this.

your suggetions are a welcome!

Ana
02/10/14
Wedding Buffet
Hi Ellen,
I wanted to ask re: a buffet reception for 200.

Appies will consist of mini meatloafs, frittatas, goat cheese crustinis.

I'm doing Roast beef, and chicken breast for the proteins, and doing two out of either, pasta, mashed potatoes or rice pilaff.

How much meat should I get? and how much sides would be sufficient?

We would also be having tossed salads as a side option, and some typical fruit/veg/meat&cheese trays.

Thanks so very much!

ellen
02/11/14
Alice, almost any other choice is less expensive for a fundraiser than roast beef. For example, turkey dinner or hot turkey sandwiches? Lasagna instead of mac and cheese, with full side dishes and so forth.

How about you write me using the update contact at the bottom of the page, letting me know how much you aim to raise and how big an audience you can reach?

ellen
02/11/14
Hi, Anna,

Remember that a party this size takes 3-4 people in the kitchen and about 12 servers out front to set up, serve and clean up day of. None can attend the wedding; they will be busy setting up.

Appies
mini meatloafs, frittatas, goat cheese crustinis; make sure the frittatas are meatless. 2 pieces each per person, unless they are large. Putting the fruit trays and cheese trays here would be good.

Roast beef, and chicken breast
Usual party serving is 5 ounces ready to eat beef plus 3 ounces ready to eat chicken; this is about 2 pounds raw boneless beefper 5 plus 1 pound raw boneless chicken per 4.

two out of either, pasta, mashed potatoes or rice pilaff.
Mashed potatoes and rice pilaf hold better and are more forgiving. Amounts are discussed on the plan for 100 tables. You would do potatoes for 150 (see freezable, holdable mashed potatoes on Big Pots), rice for 100 (baked rice on the recipe box page).

sides
Adding 2 veg will reduce pressure on the meats, and help the budget. How about something like roasted winter squash (24 pounds per 100) and long green beans (24 pounds ready to cook per 100)?

By the way, if this saves you time, trouble, or money, please consider a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support the site. Thanks.

Brenda
02/19/14
I am having a 80th Birthday party and it's going to be an Open House. I would say around 75 people coming and going. Planning shredded chicken and ham sandwiches. A potato salad or a pasta salad. Should I have two salads? I plan to have a veggie platter.
Do you plan two rolls per person? What else should there be for food?
Brenda
ellen
02/19/14
Hi, Brenda and Happy Birthday!

Let me know what time of day and how long the party will go, this affects amounts.

valerie
02/23/14
Serving ham & turkey for 175 people. How many pounds should I have
ellen
02/23/14
Valerie, most caterers would plan 5 ounces ready to eat turkey and 3 ounces ready to eat ham for each person for a self serve party buffet.

3/4 pound whole turkey is about 6 ounces raw meat, which cooks down to about 4 1/2 ounces, so you would multiply the number of people by 3/4, keeping in mind that 16 pound turkeys or less have better meat than larger ones. There is a great deal of info on cooking large amounts of turkey on this site.

If you want to use another cut of turkey, use the turkey yield tables on the Big pots page s to decide how much.

1 pound cranberry relish per 6. 1 cup gravy per 3-4.

For the ham, 2 pounds boneless per 9 is sufficient.

If this saves you time trouble or money, please make a donation to support this site. Thanks.

Brenda
02/26/14
Hi Ellen, It's going to be 2-5 pm.
ellen
02/26/14
OK, Brenda, you don't need as much food in the midafternoon-

75 people coming and going.

shredded chicken and ham sandwiches
two rolls per person? Yes, 1 of each per person

potato salad or a pasta salad.
20 pounds of potatoes or 5 of dry pasta plus add-ins

veggie platter suggest you go with a classic relish tray (top of veggie tray page)and add about 3 pounds raw veggies.

Add a dip or spread, about 1 cup per 5-6 plus 4 pounds of chips or crackers.

Do a fruit tray for 50, see fruit tray page.

Then the desserts, of course- a full sheet cake, or 2 layer half sheet makes 50-60 servings.

Jayne Buckert
02/27/14
If serving both turkey breast and rib eye sliced meats with potato, green beans, salad and roll for sit down wedding meal of 300-350 would 3 oz each meat be enough? If you were to give the guests the choice of turkey or beef what is the ratio of people that would eat each type of meat?
Floyd
03/03/14
Pound of meat per adult plus chicken
We are thinking about a meal at church for about 300
People and we were thinking about serving pork and chicken what do you suggest the amount of meat we would need. Thank you
ellen
03/03/14
Floyd, If it is a party type buffet service, mixed adult crowd, caterers usually allow 5 ounces of the primary meat plus 3 ounces of the secondary meat which would be 1 pound pork per 3 plus 1 piece of chicken per person (1 whole chicken per 8).
ellen
03/03/14
Jayne, sorry I missed this- next time, do start a new thread- and the usual would be to expect 5/8 to 3/4 to want beef: You would do at least 2 pounds ribeye per 5 PLUS 1 pound turkey breast per 4.
Mary Lou
03/09/14
I am preparing a casserole with diced chicken breast. The casserole has rice, condensed soup, mayo, water chestnuts, onions. How much chicken will I need for 150 people?
ellen
03/10/14
For moderate chicken, you want about 1/2 cup chicken per person. 1 pound of boneless chicken breast makes 2 cups, 4-5 people.

By the way, if this saves you time, trouble, or money, please consider a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support the site. Thanks.

Catherine
03/10/14
I am making shredded beef tacos, probably using boneless chuck roast, for 10 adults. Also serving rice & beans with it. How many #s of beef should I prepare? Thank you!
ellen
03/10/14
4 pounds boneless, raw. Viva!
Kelly
03/17/14
I'm having 18 lbs of pulled pork. I just don't know how to figure out how many buns to get. Thanks!!
ellen
03/17/14
If this is finished weight, allow for 6 full size buns or 12 slider buns per pound, maybe throw in a few extra.
dawn
03/25/14
I have 75 people and I need to know how many pounds of pork to get to make green chile
ellen
03/25/14
If this is a bowl for a main course, no beans, you want about 1 pound per 5.
Happy
03/28/14
45 guest - taco cart how many lbs of chicken and Asada ?
Happy
03/28/14
We will ask be having rice beans & chips , salad and guacamole
ellen
03/31/14
Happy, use the advice on the taco bar page, and do 1/2 of 100.
Stacey
04/01/14
Amount of food needed
Hi Ellen,

In July I am having my wedding, we're on a budget so our parents will be doing all of the cooking.

Our menu will be very simple for dinner.

Roast beef
Garlic cmshed potato
Caramelized carrots
Gravey

How much of each should I serve? We plan on doing buffet style to avoid having to pay a servers.

Thank you.

ellen
04/01/14
Hi, Stacey,
I hear your economy mindedness, and I have some suggestions about both the menu and the serving.

You don't say how many people? If it is more than family, you need to provide a menu which will serve the vegetarian or two or three who will be there.

A wedding reception is a big deal and a dinner is the MOST expensive choice and the most work, compared to brunch, lunch, afternoon, reception and dessert reception.

So, the first step to reducing costs, if you have not already made the invitations, is to have the wedding at 10:30-11 AM for a brunch to follow, or 1 pm with an afternoon reception (out of towners who are driving in like this); or 7 PM with a dessert reception. Either will cut the costs about 1/3.

Among dinners, a straight roast beef menu is the most costly and requires a lot of day-of prep. So the next step, if you do decide on dinner, is to have a chicken entree as a second choice. There are two excellent make ahead festive chicken recipes on this site, in the Big Pots section.

This is a VERY big undertaking; weeks of preparation, and day of, a dinner buffet party of 150 needs at least 3 people in the kitchen day of and at least 10 people to set up, serve and clean up, especially if they are not pros. They will not be waiting table, except that someone should pour water and tea; they will be refilling chafers, carrying plates for the old and very young, and cleaning up. You do not want to be the bride who found herself in her wedding dress going through the trash, looking for the silver cake cutter. These folks can't attend the wedding, they will be working. Helpers are discussed in my wedding dinner article. You will definitely need some hired or volunteer help if the party is over 60 guests, unless you want exhausted parents and reception upsets as a side effect of the wedding.

Also, you need an appetizer plan, and here is why:

This does not have to be complicated. Three items, plus a punch (8 gallons per 100), or two if one is alcoholic, are sufficient. Typically, include a fruit tray, a cheese tray and an attractive dip or spread; or you can go with a dinner theme such as TexMex with chips, salsas, Texas caviar and guacamole; Italian with bruschetta or antipasto; maybe shrimps or other cold seafood, if budget permits. You can select items that can all be done the day ahead, ready to set out for the event.

So if you do decide on dinner, here is a possible menu:

Roast beef
Consider beef tips, possible with mushrooms. Gravy is included!
Beef tips, 1 pound raw beef per 3
Roast beef, boneless raw, 1 pound per 2

Orange Dijon wedding chicken, or chicken marsala
1 pound raw boneless chicken per 4- see recipe this site

Garlic mashed potato- 45 pounds raw potatoes per 100. I would NOT do garlic in, as some folks don't eat it, but rather butter, roasted garlic puree on the side
For an interesting festive option, consider a mashed potato bar: toppings as indicated in the potato bar page, cheese, sour cream, chopped veggies, etc. If you do this it can also serve as an entree portion for any vegetarians.

Caramelized carrots- 24 pounds ready to cook per 100

Gravy- 1 cup per 3-4, depends on whether at least 1 entree has sauce

Need good bread or rolls- 12 pounds per 100, 3 pounds butter per 100

Need some kind of salad or slaw/ cold veggie dish for color and crunch. See the plan for 100 page for amounts and dressing, many excellent slaw recipes this site.

Beverages, see the beverage planning page. Also, I suggest the moms read the how-to article about the festive family brunch on my site.

Eric Lardie
04/01/14
Hello Ellen,
We are hosting a BBQ for about 175 people.
I am not sure how much of the meats we will need.
Pulled pork
Brisket
Pieces of chicken
Hotdogs
1/3lb Burgers
Depending on costs we may nix brisket, if we do what will we have to adjust??
It will be mostly adults

Thanks
Eric
I

ellen
04/01/14
Hi, Eric- too many meats. For this size group, stick to 3; chicken, either brisket or burgers and either pulled pork or sausage/hot dogs.

See this guide and give it a try, then write back- start a new thread.

ally
04/02/14
Doing a benefit bbq, planing to sell 400 plates, what do you suggest?
ellen
04/03/14
Best buy, chicken quarters, potato or pasta salad, beans of some kind, and slaw.
Betty
04/24/14
I am making shredded beef sandwiches for a graduation reception. I have no idea how many people to expect but guessing up to 100. Could you tell me how many lbs of raw meat (roasts) you recommend for making shredded beef sandwiches for approx. 100 people? It is over the dinner hour but some may be eating at other receptions. Other items - pasta salad, veggies, watermelon, chips, dessert.
ellen
04/24/14
100 full size sandwiches- 25 pounds raw boneless.
Kathi
04/24/14
Pound of chicken thigh per adult
HI! We are BBQing at a park for my daughter graduation. We are bbquing chicken thighs and expecting approx. 150 people. How many pounds of chicken thigh would we need to buy?

Thanks!

ellen
04/24/14
2 per person- about 100 pounds
Anne
05/06/14
I am helping with a wedding reception, 150 guest have been invited. They are planning a buffet style with pulled pork sliders, coleslaw, baked beans, fried fish, hush puppies, corn fritters and grits. How many pounds of Boston butts, coleslaw, beans and grits do we need to buy? Also about how many slider buns do we need? As far as appetizer I am thinking a vegetable tray, cheese tray, chips and dips.
Do you have any suggestions for appetizers?
Thanks for your help!
ellen
05/06/14
I hope they are ordering in the fish and fritters on site frying for this many is hot, messy and dangerous.

pulled pork sliders, 35 pounds raw boneless
buns, 2 per person
add a gallon of egg salad or a dozen veggie patties for non-meat eaters
coleslaw, 5 gallons
baked beans, 5 gallons (8 pounds dry beans per 100)

fried fish, small pieces, 2 per person
hush puppies, 2 per person
corn fritters, 2 per person; consider corn cobbettes as a viable alternative
grits, 6 1/2 pounds

vegetable tray, suggest you do fruit tray instead, see the fruit tray page for amounts
cheese tray, 1 pound cheese per 12, 6 pounds crackers per 100
chips, 1 pound per 12
dips, 1/3 cup per person for a single dip, or 1/4 cup each for 2 or 3 choices

Katie
05/09/14
Hi I am getting married and we are expecting about 225 people. We are having pulled BBQ beef and fried chicken. How much raw meat do I need and how much fried chicken? Thank you!
ellen
05/10/14
1 piece of chicken per person, plus 1 pound ready to serve beef per 5 plated or 6 if it is for sandwiches.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Beth
05/14/14
Hi Ellen I am catering a banquet for 300 in sept evening meal.Mostly middle age to elderly, Buffet style the menu is slice pork loin and chicken breasts served on sauteed onions and mushrooms and topped lightly with jack cheese. My sides will be roasted vegetables corn casserole, green salad and a baked potatoe bar. How much pork loin do I need? I am planning on 4 oz chick breast. (Large breast cut in half - 1 per person)
ellen
05/14/14
1 pound raw pork per 4. I would do a cheese sauce, not melted cheese to coat. Holds better, not as chewy or strin.gy; preferred by most
Judy
05/17/14
How many pounds of raw chuck roast should I buy for making hot beef sandwiches for a graduation open house for 75 people? We will be using smaller sized buns (dinner roll type). I will also be serving cheesy potatoes, coleslaw and baked beans. Would 8 sandwiches per pound be accurate after the roast is cooked and approximately 1.5 sandwiches per person?
ellen
05/17/14
Yes, 1 pound raw boneless will make between 6 and 8 of these smaller sandwiches, if it is self serve, you may want to count 6. But count 2 sandwiches per person, 3 for male teens.

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please, make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Lynn
05/21/14
I am planning a surprise b-day party for my mom on a Saturday from1-3pm. I'm having a mashed potato bar, smoked sausage with rolls, beef sliders, 2 dips, fruit & cake. Expecting 35-40 adults & 8 kids. How much sausage & beef do I need?
ellen
05/22/14
Plan on 2 sliders per person- 5 people per pound of ready to serve meat.

Plan on 1 pound of sausage per 6 since you already have the sliders.

Suggest you add a pasta or potato salad? Lots of good recipes on this site.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site.

Janey
05/22/14
There will be 120 guests. We will serve BBQ Turkey sandwiches in Tea Rolls(smaller than a regular bun.) and also chicken salad sandwiches in Tea Rolls. The chicken salad will be made out of cans of chicken purchased at Sam's Club. Thanks soo much for your help and wisdom!!!
ellen
05/23/14
Allow 2 buns per female and 3 per male for meals. Amount of filling depends on whether this is a reception or a meal; 3 gallons per 100 for a reception, but 6-7 for meals. 1 pound of whole chicken makes a cup of meat.
Judy
05/24/14
I just checked today and noticed that you answered my question of 5/17 regarding how much raw chuck roast would be needed for sandwiches for 75 people. This was one of my questions: "Would 8 sandwiches per pound be accurate after the roast is cooked and approximately 1.5 sandwiches per person?" This was your reply: "Yes, 1 pound raw boneless will make between 6 and 8 of these smaller sandwiches, if it is self serve, you may want to count 6. But count 2 sandwiches per person, 3 for male teens." I want to double check because that question referred to cooked meat and your answer referred to raw meat. Could you please clarify if it was 6 to 8 sandwiches per pound of raw meat or if it was cooked meat. If you meant cooked meat, could you let me know how much raw, boneless meat I would need? Thank you very much.
ellen
05/24/14
I was confused when you asked how much to buy- that is usually raw. 1 pound raw boneless chuck slow cooks down to 10-12 ounces, which makes about 8 smaller/slider size sandwiches. 1 pound cooked ready to serve makes at least 10, up to 12.
Terry
06/05/14
I'm doing a birthday for 80 people. Menu pulled pork, beef on a bun Ceaser salad, potatoe salad, macaroni salad, tossed salad, veg platter, fruit platter, four kinds of squares, coffee. There also having midnight lunch. How much meat do I buy? How many veg and fruit platters?
ellen
06/06/14
80 people. Not clear if you want extra for the midnight lunch; these amounts are for the birthday meal only.

pulled pork,
beef on a bun
You want to allow 1 pound raw meat per 3 persons for these sandwiches. Pork versus beef depends on the region, in the South often 5 to 3 pork, other places reversed.

Sandwich condiments, pickles, onions, etc, see the sandwich planning page.

The place you buy the trays will tell you how many they serve. With the salad, you use the higher end of the range for the veggie trays, the lower end for the fruit trays.

You need a vegetarian patty or veg sausage for any non-meat eaters. Field Roast is a reliable brand; Boca, or Morning Star.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site.

Jules
06/12/14
Hosting a party for 500 people would like to make chicken, pork, and Asada taco's with soft corn tortillas, How many pounds of each meat would I have to purchase?
ellen
06/12/14
Is this a mealtime party, how long does it last, and what else is being served?

Also, a party this size takes about 8 serving lines for a mealtime, and also 4-5 people in the kitchen and about 2 dozen out front to set up, serve, and clean up.

Please write back with more details. You could also start a new thread using the box at the top of the cook talk forum page.

Linda L
06/14/14
Graduation party for Granddaughter - serving sloppy joes and ham sandwiches, veggie tray, potato salad, watermelon bowl of fruit, chips and candies. How much do I need to serve 50-60 people at 6:30 pm. They will be coming and going. Party is June 21. Thank you
ellen
06/15/14
One roaster of sloppy joes and 5 pounds deli thin sliced ham would be plenty. Slider buns would be excellent, about 100.

veggie tray, do 2 of the tray for 25 on the veggie tray page
potato salad, 2 gallons, a little more if you don't mind having some left
watermelon bowl of fruit, you want about 6 pieces per person, on the fruit tray page it discusses watermelon boats and how many pieces various fruits make
chips, about 1 pound per 12
dips? about 1 pint per pound

candies- depends on the type- bowls of dinner mints, about 3 pounds, snack size wrapped pieces, about 3-4 per person.

lynet
06/24/14
chicken leg quater
If I'm preparing 85 people how many pound of leg quarter I need if I doing 40pound box's.
Nancy
06/25/14
Hi Ellen! I am having an anniversary party in a couple of weeks and will be serving pulled pork and burgers. There will be approximately 80 adults and 20 children. How much do you recommend for each entree? This is a bring a dish to pass type party. Thanks!
ellen
06/28/14
Lynette, this is covered on the plan for 100 page; 80 pounds leg quarters serves 100. All other cuts are also covered.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

ellen
06/28/14
Nancy, count this as 90. Allow 1 pound ready to serve pulled pork per 6 (5 standard buns or 10-12 slider buns per pound) plus 4 quarter pound burgers per 6, and you will likely have plenty of both and not too much left over.

Melissa
07/02/14
Hello Ellen,

I am cooking for about 30 people and want to do pulled turkey sandwiches. I will have a couple salads, chips/crackers, fruit, and veggies. I was wondering about how large of a turkey should I purchase to slow cook over night?

Thanks for your time!

ellen
07/02/14
1 pound whole turkey makes one cup of meat, which makes about 5 regular or 3 fat pulled meat sandwiches. If you did 16 pounds, you could cut away a whole side of a breast for another meal and still have plenty.
Mike
07/02/14
We will be self catering our wedding reception - approx 150 guests - planning pulled pork and chicken:
figuring 70#(raw) pork butts to be cooked in Dutch Ovens ( yes i have that many DOs)
How much chicken and 1/4 or 1/2 chicken?

will have usual bbq sides / salad/ slaw

ellen
07/02/14
If the chicken is roasted or grilled, with the pork, you want to allow 1 piece per person, or 1 chicken per 8
Melissa
07/03/14
Thank you! Skinned and cooking(:
janet
07/11/14
Hi Ellen;
Having a get together for mom.
menu;
pulled pork
calico beans
cucumber salad
wine and beer
how much do I make for a crowd of 30 -35 people?
ellen
07/12/14
pulled pork-
rolls, 2 pounds sliced onions, quart or more pickles
calico beans- 1 gallon- about 3 pounds dry
cucumber salad- 1 gallons
wine and beer- see the beverage planning page; basically at least 1/2 bottle wine per wine drinker, 4 beers per beer drinker

SanJuana
07/15/14
Hi Ellen,
We're having a birthday party for 55 adults, 29 kids, 7 of the kids are grown. The others are little babies. So more like 62 adults. How much meat do we need to make pulled pork, & if we cook it a week in advance and freeze it, will it still taste good? Would we add the bbq sauce that day?

And we are having spaghetti. How much ground beef & italian sausage?

& loaded mashed potatoes

We want to get fruit & vegetable platters as well.
We are getting a cake, cupcakes & other small desserts to go a long with it. Thank you.

ellen
07/15/14
Hi, Sanjuana,

I would count this as 75, unless the babies are so little they really won't eat. Little kids count 1/2. Are you planning on serving spaghetti and loaded mashed potatoes at the same meal? This is a little unusual and fairly hard to calculate. Please write back and clarify.

For example, I might do a taco bar and loaded potato bar at the same meal. Or do a baked spaghetti casserole and pulled pork (good freshly cooked spaghetti is actually not easy for larger groups).

jeanette rodriguez
07/20/14
hi ellen im makin a first birthday for my son and i wanted to make carne guisada with rice and beans how many pounds of meat do i need for 32 people in total thanks...
ellen
07/20/14
32 people counts as 1/3 of 100. So, since this is a stew, you want about 15 pounds raw meat (a little less if you use a lot of onions). Then. a little less than 6 pounds each dry rice and dry beans.
Dawn
08/06/14
We are fixing the food for my daughter's wedding. It is approximately 130 people. 268 are children. We are having shredded chicken and pork with barbecue on the side. Roasted potatoes and green beans. Maybe some Hawaiian rolls. What quantity do I need to buy to feed them. I also am supplying paper plates, utensils, napkins, etc. Need an idea of those. Right now I have about 28lbs boneless chicken and 33.0 pounds pork, 6cans 192 oz green beans. 150 dinner plates 500 napkins, 212 cocktail napkins.120 set utensils. I have additional spoons and knives but need to get more forks. I have water and pop but need to get wine and beer.
Dawn
08/06/14
26 are children.
Dawn
08/07/14
26 are children.
Dawn
08/07/14
102oz cans green beans
ellen
08/09/14
Hi Dawn,

So I would estimate this as 125 people.

First I want to caution you that a party this size takes about 3 people in the kitchen and 9 out front to set up, serve, and clean up and these folks aren't at the wedding because they are working. Second, wedding reception dinners REALLY need an appetizer table, what and why is discussed several times on this thread, so please consider adding it. It makes a BIG difference in the comfort and pleasure of your guests, especially when there are children involved.

Now on to the menu
28lbs boneless chicken and 33.0 pounds pork,
plenty; you could cut back 3-4 pounds each and still have enough
6cans 192 oz green beans. Plenty. You could add a second vegetable, maybe corn, 4-5 cans

The rolls would be good, about 200 with 4 pounds of butter

150 dinner plates- I usually get twice as many as there are guests
cake plates- about 175
500 napkins, OK
212 cocktail napkins- OK, could do 250
2 glasses per person
coffee cups

120 set utensils. I have additional spoons and knives but need to get more forks.
I usually get 1/4 more sets than there are guests, and then add double forks and spoon, allowing for dessert and coffee

I have water and pop
wine and beer
The beverage page will help you here. A keg of beer serves about 40- most beer drinkers drink 4 beers in the course of a party.
There are specifics on how much wine for a toast or for the meal.

I do suggest that you add dinner level coffee at cake time if alcohol has been served.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Wanda
08/23/14
Hi Ellen,
Will be cooking roast beef & roast pork for a fall supper to serve 125 adult people. Can you please give me amounts for bone in or boneless on raw amounts to purchase from butcher. Thank-you
ellen
08/29/14
Yipes, a costly entree!

1 pound raw boneless beef per 3 plus 1 pound raw boneless pork per 4-5. Amount of second meat depends on light or heavy side dishes.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation,maybe a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Joe
09/01/14
I have a wedding coming up and im cooking 2 meats and 2 sides. The meats are brisket and chicken legs and thighs (bone in). My sides are garlic mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. The only question I really have is how many chicken legs and thighs would you think id need? Pounds or piece per person. I have the brisket figured out to about 100lbs raw but I have no idea on the chicken. I was thinking maybe 400 pieces but again I have no clue. Looking forward to your help ty so much
Joe
09/01/14
Let me add on to my question :).

175 people

100lbs of brisket (raw)
140lbs of chicken legs and thighs (raw)
55lbs of mashed potatoes (uncooked)
16lbs of mac and cheese (uncooked)

what do you think?

ellen
09/02/14
With this full amount of brisket you only need 1 piece of chicken per person, a quarter is 2 pieces, cut apart after cooking to protect juiciness.

You will probably have no potatoes and some mac and cheese left over.

4 1/2 gallons of slaw? About 9 quarts of table sauce. 22 pounds of bread/rolls, 4-5 butter.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation,maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Donna
09/19/14
Pound of meat per person
Hi Ellen, I have a question. We're doing a bbq lunch at church. We're having pulled pork, bricket, potato salad, baked beans,cole slaw, corn on the cob, bread and dessert. How much pork do I need for 100 and how much bricket for 30-35? The meal is for 100 but some people don't eat pork... Thanks for your help..
ellen
09/20/14
Donna, in my experience with brisket and pork, you need at least 1 pound raw well trimmed brisket per 3=30+ pounds PLUS 1 pound ready to serve pulled pork per 6-7=15 pounds (5 rolls or 12 slider buns per pound of pork). Almost everyone takes some brisket. Best to have someone serve the brisket first round.
Alicia
09/25/14
Hello Ellen, I have a question. I'm having a reception I have 150 - 175(max). My menu is chicken (leg quaters), yellow rice, macaroni & cheese, Green beans, kernel corn, and fruit salad. I really need to know how much pounds of each food I will need to purchase.
ellen
10/01/14
Hi, Alicia,

First you need an appetizer plan, the what and why is discussed several times in this thread, to help ensure success.

Now dinner:

chicken (leg quarters), 140-150 pounds for 175

yellow rice, 12 pounds dry
macaroni & cheese, 12 pounds dry pasta, 1 quart sauce per pound, 1/2 to 1 pound cheese per pound

green beans, 20 pounds per 100
kernel corn, 20 pounds per 100

fruit salad. Recipes on the fruit tray page, but I suggest fruit trays, prettier, keep better, and the left overs are more usable.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site, thanks.

JM
10/01/14
I am having a wedding with approximately 175 people. I was using your tables, but was hoping for more expertise. The menu will include:
Roasted Pork
Roasted Turkey
Mashed potatos
Rice
Beans
Veggis
Baked Ziti

Our caterer wants us to order by either pounds or number of trays. Can you please help?

ellen
10/02/14
Yes, JM, first you have to decide how many people; the difference between 175 and 200 is a whole tray for each item. I am doing the estimate for 175

Roasted Pork-1 pound ready to serve per 6
Roasted Turkey- 1 pound ready to serve per 4
need gravies, at least 1 cup per 4
need cranberry something, 1 pound per 6-8

Mashed potatoes
Rice
Baked ziti
I would say this is too many starches. Decide on 2 and write back. Otherwise, you will either run out of one or have too much left over.

Beans???What kind; green beans, 22 pounds per 100, dry beans 8 pounds dry or 3 gallons cooked per 100

Veggies 5 trays

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site, thanks.

marie
10/11/14
So for my sisters 15th birthday we are making the food. We Are making birria with rice and beams but I'm not sure how many pounds I would need for 350 people.
ellen
10/11/14
For this tasty stew, you need about 30 pounds stew beef per 100.

rice and beans, 9 pounds dry per 100 for small servings, up to 12 for larger

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site, thanks.

alex
10/12/14
25 Ppl,including kids. Planning to make grilled chicken, fajitas, and ribs. Rice and beans also. How much meat to buy?
ellen
10/12/14
Alex, occasion and side dishes? With 25 (a small group for 3 entrees) and these three choices, you will either run out of one or have quite a bit of leftovers of several. Write back, maybe start a new thread.
Jenn
10/16/14
how many pounds of ground beef do i need to make 140 mini sliders.

Thank you so much

ellen
10/17/14
About 10 sliders per raw pound.
Julie Mason
10/26/14
I am hosting a baby shower for 80 people (ladies). I am serving hot shredded chicken sandwiches. How many pounds of raw chicken breast do I need?
ellen
10/26/14
Per fat or open face sandwich, 3 ounces ready to serve meat; this means you need 1 pound boneless skinless breast for each 4 people.

Vicki
10/28/14
I am having a party for 150 people. I will be serving roast beef, potatoes and carrots plus bread. How much roast beef do I purchase
ellen
10/29/14
These items are all covered on the plan for 100 tables, you would do 1 1/2. The only difference is if you are doing bone in prime rib; then you would need 3/4 pound per person.
nathan jones
10/31/14
I am doing a meal for a banquet for 200 to 250 people. Im serving turky, pulled pork, and meatballs for the meat. Cheesy potatoes, baked beans, corn, and greenbeans. Also serving rolls and some desserts. My problem is i dont know how much meat, beans, and potatoes to serve so that i can figure up a price.
ellen
10/31/14
How much food is needed depends very much on whether it is self serve buffet or plated and served at table- what type event- age and gender mix of the crowd. Need more info.
nathan jones
11/01/14
its a mixed gender for a fundraiser. Its self served buffet. Mostly adults and alcohol is being served by a bar tender. Im also not sure if turkey is the best thing to serve. Im smoking the turkeys and pork butts but was wondering if grilled chicken thighs would be better
ellen
11/02/14
250 people, 3 lines or 4 double-sided lines.

turkey, 1/2 pound whole raw per person; remember 1-2 pounds of most frozen birds is water and giblets and don't count that.
pulled pork, 1 pound ready to eat per 5; assuming bone in, that is about 1 pound raw per 3
meatballs- 20-25 pounds; 3 quarts sauce per 10 pounds; with the pulled pork, you might want a teriyaki , creamy, or citrus sauce
chicken thighs (1 per person)are probably cheaper, but the turkey can be smoked and sliced ahead and served cold...

Cheesy potatoes, I use 20-24 pounds frozen shredded per 100- larger amount for self serve
baked beans, 3 gallons (4 #10 cans or 8 pounds dry) per 100
corn,20 pounds per 100, 4 #10 cans
green beans, same as corn

If this is a paid gig or saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site.

Kelly
11/04/14
We are doing a wedding reception barbecue in August. We expect between 80-90 people with minimal children. It will be an active barbecue with volleyball etc. We are serving pulled pork and beef brisket. We will be including 3 sides with a salad for the vegetarians. How much pulled pork and brisket do I need? How many pounds of sides will I need. we will be doing beans, pasta salad and coleslaw. I might add some fruit.

We will be serving food prior to our arrival at the barbecue. Things like chicken wings, Cheese trays and chips and salsa.

ellen
11/05/14
pulled pork, 16 pounds, 5 buns or 12 slider buns per pound
3 pounds sliced onions
3 quarts sliced pickles
beef brisket, 25 pounds ready to serve, which is almost 40 pounds raw
mustards
bread

beans, 3 gallons, may have some left (4 #10 can)
pasta salad, 6 pounds dry pasta plus add-ins, easy and cheap to make a day or 2 ahead. Suggest an Italian style dressing rather than mayo base, for safety sake
coleslaw 2 1/2 gallons (about 16 pounds)

I would definitely add a fruit tray- 1/2 the deluxe tray for 100 on the fruit tray page would be plenty.

If this is a paid gig or saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site.

Carol
11/06/14
The company i work for is having our chirstmas party catered this year but to save money asked if I could make some appetizers. i am thing of doing veggie trays, smoked sausage and cheese trays and spinach dip but i dont know how much. there is 100 people attending and all adults
ellen
11/07/14
This is a pleasant way to save a lot of money, and a good sized group.

veggie trays, suggest a change; either do the antipasto vegetables on this site,
www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/appetiz2.html

or the classic relish tray ate the top of the veggie tray page- 1 would be enough

smoked sausage- 6 pounds very thin sliced
cheese trays- 8-10 pounds, some could be logs or spread
6-8 pounds crackers

dips suggest you do 2, one could be hummus, do 1 cup each per 8 people, or about 3 quarts each, about 10-12 pounds chips, pita chips, etc-

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site.

Heather
11/11/14
Hi there! I have 80-85 people for a co-Ed baby shower- half women, half men, and about 8 kids. We are purchasing meat by the pound (cooked) from our favorite bbq spot. We wanted equal portions of tri tip, pulled pork, and pulled chicken, all for a sandwich bar. How many pounds of each meat cooked would I need? Thanks!!
ellen
11/11/14
With this selection, you will run out of tritip. For 85 people, ready to eat weights, I would offer 18-20 pounds of tritip and total about 15 pounds of the other 2, divided according to local taste.
Angela
11/19/14
Planning a luncheon for mostly men approx 300 people. Need to know how much of the following smoked meats will I need. Pork butts, regular spare ribs, and pork tenderloin
Jay
11/20/14
Im helping a friend cook for his wedding. we know how many sides we need but not sure how much meat to smoke. We r excpecting 300 people and want to smoke briskets and pork butts.
ellen
11/21/14
Angela and Jay, I can give you cooked weights, but be aware that smoking shrinks meats a lot, for example, brisket about 40%. In addition, when there are several meats, people tend to take more, and usually some of each. Also, with the butts, I need to know if you are planning to make pulled pork? Please write back.
edward turnbull
11/22/14
turkey yield from whole
100 turkey sandwiches from whole turkeys
ellen
11/22/14
You need 1 pound whole turkey for each 3 sandwiches.
Jay
11/27/14
Yes im makin pulled pork. iknow it shrinks alot and was hoping you could give me uncooked weights so we didnt buy way to much or not have enough meat.
ellen
11/28/14
Jay, with brisket and pork, brisket will be the lead meat.

At least 120 pounds brisket, 70 pounds pork butt. 200 rolls for the pork. 2 gallons pickles, 15 pounds sliced onions.

Also, be sure you either have a crockpot of vegetarian sausages such as field roast, or a side dish which can be an entree for the vegetarians in the crowd, in a group that size ther will be some.
If this saves you time trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel per guest, to support this site- thanks

Teresa
12/04/14
I am cooking pulled pork for 130 people
how many pounds of raw meat do I need?
will 80 be sufficient?

Thank you so much

Stephanie
01/20/15
Hi wanted to know how much leg quarters and sausage will I need to buy to BBQ and feed 175 people.
ellen
01/21/15
Stephanie, I would do about 100 leg quarters with some cut into 2 pieces after cooking, and about 30-35 pounds of sausage, cut into approx 3 inch pieces. Depends somewhat on sides, as heavier sides slightly reduce the amount of meat.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thank you.

Chasity
02/06/15
I am planning a party of about 75 people. We are wanting to serve Chicken, Brisket and Ribs. I am at a loss to how much each. We will also be serving, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, deviled eggs and salad. Please help and Thank you.
Jet
02/09/15
We are having a wedding reception and have 86 adults and 20 kids, we are getting pork loins, how much pulled pork do we need to serve them? We are also serving coleslaw, macaroni salad, baked beans, punch, coffee, keg beer, and sheet cake, how much should we get ?
Thank you !
ellen
02/09/15
Chasity

Chicken, 1 piece per person
Brisket, 1 pound raw per 3
Ribs, 1 pound per 2
All of the above

potato salad, 3 gallons
cole slaw, 2 gallons
baked beans, 2 1/2 gallons
deviled eggs, 3 dozen eggs

salad, use 2/3 the amount for 100 on the plan for 100 page, since you also have slaw.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thank you.

ellen
02/09/15
Jet, if you just count 100 you will have plenty, perhaps some leftovers if all the kids are small.

pork loins,
If you are making pulled pork, shoulder makes better pulled pork and is cheaper. 1 pound boneless raw per 3, some left, probably. 1 gallons pickles, 5-6 pounds sliced onions, 120 rolls or 20 dozen slider rolls

coleslaw, 2 1/2 gallons
macaroni salad, 6 pounds dry pasta plus add-ins, many recipes on site
baked beans, 3 gallons

punch, 8 gallons
coffee, use dinner level coffee on the beverage page
keg beer, full keg is 160 glasses, serves about 40
sheet cake, a layer serves 60, you could do a 2 layer

rodney birth
02/17/15
I'm feeding 150 people how many quarter chicken will I need . Also how much cold Slaw and Potato Salad will it take.

Thanks

ellen
02/17/15
Rodney, exact help for this nice, simple menu on the plan for 100 page, just do 1 1/2 times the amount for 100. You might also need the beverage planning page and the dessert planning page. aLL THESE HAVE BUTTONS AT THE TOP OF THE MAIN COOK TALK PAGE.
Gee
02/20/15
I need to make baked pork shoulder for 45-50 people. how many pork shoulders will I need?
ellen
02/20/15
Bone in shoulder, almost 2 pounds for each 3 people for dinner party buffet portions, it has a lot of bone. Boneless, 1 pound per 2.

Gee
02/20/15
Thank you Ellen, will do!
Gee
02/20/15
Done! Will make another donation soon. 9786;
Gee
02/20/15
Hey Ellen, How much ground meat will I need to make mini meatballs for 50 people? And how much Italian sausage? Thanks for your help 128521;
ellen
02/21/15
I plan on 5 pounds of 1/2 ounce meatballs for appetizers for 50, or 6-7 pounds of meatballs or sausage for small subs.
Jackie
02/23/15
How many pounds of pork center loin roast boneless do I need to serve 8 people?
ellen
02/24/15
4-5. Not much leftover.
Vynka
03/05/15
Hi Ellen, I was wondering if you could please help me with how much gravy will I need to make per raw kilogram of roast beef (for beef and gravy rolls)?? I am catering for approx 150 people.
Danielle
03/05/15
Pound of meat per adult @ wedding reception buffet
Hi need help!
I'm have 112 guest for our wedding I figured that's about 125 for servings to be safe. The menu is
BBQ chicken, sausage links, pulled pork, and hot dogs for the kids with, garden salad, bow tie pasta salad, potatoes ( scalloped or mashed) chili, and corn bread with a mini dessert buffet. I need help figuring out how much meat lbs. wise I should be buying, how much lettuce, pasta, and potatoes I'll be needing if you can help I appreciate any little bit!! Thanks - diy bride in need
ellen
03/06/15
Vynka, About a half liter per kilo.
ellen
03/06/15
Danielle, any kid who will eat hot dogs will eat a chicken leg, I suggest you skip the hot dogs entirely. Also, this is a lot of entrees for 125 people, which means that, in order to give everyone their first choice on the first serving, you will have to make enough to have leftovers.

BBQ chicken, 1 piece per person, 8 pieces per chicken
sausage links, 1 pound per 6
pulled pork, 1 pound ready to serve per 6, 5 buns or 12 slider buns per pound
chili, 4 gallons

garden salad, use the plan for 100 page, button at the top pf the main cook talk page, do 1 1/4 times the amount for 100

bow tie pasta salad, 7-8 pounds dry pasta
potatoes (scalloped or mashed), suggest scalloped so you will have an entree for any non-meat eaters, 50 pouinds potatoes.

Also. you need an appetizer plan, especially if you are grilling, and here is why:

One appetizer service area serves about 100 guests.
corn bread

Jason
03/10/15
I'm helping a friend cook for her wedding. She wants to do pulled pork and chicken legs and thighs. we plan on smoking these. For sides we are making baked beans, cheesy hashbrowns or funeral potatoes i have heard them called, and green beans. There are 300 guests and maybe 50 0f them will be children. Im not sure how much food to buy. The reception is suppose to start at 6 pm so people r going to be hungry.Can u please help me with this?
Beth
03/12/15
Hi! Hawaiian themed wedding...Doing individual skewers for approx 100 people. Shrimp/chicken/steak. Bride is afraid to mix the meat for fear that some of it will not be eaten. I am mixing the vegetables on separate skewers. (Onions, zucchini, squash and tomatoes.) Need to know how much meat and veggies to plan on per person? Just stumbled upon your sight and I am thrilled!! Thank you in advance!!
ellen
03/12/15
Jason, this is a huge party, requires 4+ people in a commercial size kitchen and 16-20 out front to set up, serve, and clean up. These folks will be working during the wedding.

I strongly encourage you to add an appetizer plan and here is why:

Now, about the dinner menu.

pulled pork, 1 pound per 6, 5 rolls per pound

pickles 1 gallon per 100
onions 5-8 pounds sliced per 100
chicken legs and thighs, 1 piece per person

baked beans, 3 gallons per 100, make some meatless and label
cheesy hashbrowns or funeral potatoes, these can also serve as a vegetarian entree
Use the recipe estimate with this recipe at the bottom of the breakfast planning page. 1 roaster serves 50-60.

green beans, 22 pounds per 100

If this saves you time, trouble or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site.

ellen
03/15/15
Hi Beth,

There are a few significant considerations about kabobs for this many people. First the amount of handling to skewer increases the risk of food contamination. Second, it is quite tricky to get the chicken safely done with the shrimp not overcooked. I do agree with your bride about not mixing.

Do all of these:
Shrimp, 1 pound per 5
chicken, 1 pound per 3-4
steak, 1 pound per 4

Onions, zucchini, squash and tomatoes
Because the skewering takes a lot of time and grilling usually results in overdone tomatoes and underdone onions, I strongly suggest you do a grilled veggie mix, Italian style; can be done ahead and served from pans.

To make a surer success of your effort, make an appetizer plan, especially if you are grilling, and here is why:

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation,maybe a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Kristen
03/29/15
Hi Ellen, I'm planning a potluck bbq for 80. We want pulled pork, chicken and beef. How many lbs of each cooked meat do we need? There will also be potato salad, cole slaw and beans (ideas on how much of those would be appreciated). Thanks in advance, this is driving me crazy!
ellen
03/30/15
Pound of meat per adult- 80, bbq
pulled pork, 13 pounds ready to serve
buns, 65 large or 12 per pound sliders
onions, 5-6 pounds, slices
pickles, 3 quarts
chicken, 1 piece per person, 8 chickens
beef, depends on what kind of beef, please write back

potato salad, 3 gallons
cole slaw, 2 1/2 gallons
beans, 2 1/2 gallons

A fruit tray would be a fine addition, see the fruit tray page.

melissa
04/08/15
Hi I am planning a wedding with 150 guest wondering how much barbecue beef I would need for sandwiches?
ellen
04/09/15
1 pound ready to serve per 4. 1 Pound raw boneless chuck makes a scant pound ready to serve when you add the sauce.

If you make it ahead, add the sauce before freezing.

8 pounds sliced onions per 100. 1 gallon pickles per 100.

Tiffanie
04/14/15
Hi Ellen, I would like to know how much Raw Boneless Boston butt I would need to feed 400 for sandwiches? I plan to serve 1/3 cup per Sand.
Nina
04/14/15
Hello Ellen, I am having a baby shower at 3pm at a park and will do a bbq as food for 50 adults and 15 kids, all big eaters. In addition to the bbq we will be having 2 bread bowl spinach dips, veggies, chips, dips, fruits with or without chocolate, bakery pastries for 50, animal crackers and the cake. For the BBQ we were planning hot dogs, hamburgers and drumsticks. How many should we calculate per person or how much do we need in total?
Mike
04/14/15
BBQ catering Brisket and Chicken Leg Quarters
Hi Ellen, I am doing a BBQ catering job for approx. 120 people and smoking Brisket and Chicken leg quarters.

I figured around 7 to 8 14lb briskets that may yield around 68 pounds of cooked brisket at .5 lbs per person. Please confirm. Also how much chicken leg quarters will I need? In addition to the 2 meats there will be Potato Salad, Ranch style beans and Coleslaw. Thanks!

ellen
04/14/15
Hello again, Mike, my estimates must be working pretty well for you.

7 to 8 14lb briskets that may yield around 68 pounds of cooked brisket at .5 lbs per person. ine

leg quarters- 1 quarter per 2 people, cut \some apart after cooking

Potato Salad, 4 1/2 gallons
Ranch style beans-4 gallons, 10 pounds dry
Coleslaw.

ellen
04/14/15
OOps. 10-12 pounds dry beans, some meatless

3 1/2 gallons slaw

Do provide a crock pot of vegetarian sausages for any nonmeat eaters

Nina
04/15/15
Hello Ellen, I am having a baby shower at 3pm at a park and will do a bbq as food for 50 adults and 15 kids, all big eaters. In addition to the bbq we will be having 2 bread bowl spinach dips, veggies, chips, dips, fruits with or without chocolate, bakery pastries for 50, animal crackers and the cake. For the BBQ we were planning hot dogs, hamburgers and drumsticks. How many should we calculate per person or how much do we need in total? Is that enough food or too much food?
ellen
04/16/15
OK, I would count this as 2/3 of 100

2 bread bowl spinach dips,
You want 12 cups of dip
veggies, see veggie tray page
chips, 1 pound per 12, dips, 1 pint per pound
Consider adding 3 gallons of potato salad or a pasta salad with 4 pounds dry pasta as the base
Consider adding 2 gallons of slaw

fruits with or without chocolate, ??? see the fruit tray page for amounts and the chocolate fountain page for cautions on chocolate fountains outside.

bakery pastries for 50, OK
animal crackers, 5 pounds, some left
cake, sheet cake will cut 60-80 pieces

hot dogs, might sup Polish sausage or kielbasa, much tastier, about 48
hamburgers, 5 per 4 people
drumsticks, consider doing leg quarters instead, same price per pound, more meat. Do 35, cut some apart after cooking

Tomato, etc, see the sandwich planning page. Buns per the sandwich count, It takes about 1/2 cup sauce or glaze to do 2 pounds of chicken.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation,a dime or quarter per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

katherine
05/07/15
Hi, I am making Barbacoa for my friends wedding and I'm trying to figure out how many pounds of beef I should buy. We are serving 300ppl in a Buffett style setting. We will have rice, beans and salad as well. The beef is going to be served on corn or flour tortillas. What is your estimate on how much I need?. I was going to do beef and pork, sorry forgot to add that in. One sweet and one spicy.

Thanks in advance
Katherine

ellen
05/08/15
You will use at least 1 pound raw meat per 3; you decide the split based on local preferences for beef or pork.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, maybe a dime per guest, to support this site. Thank you.

Butch
05/09/15
We are having a graduation party and expecting 160 people. We are serving pork loin and shredded whole chickens. How much of each should we purchase?
ellen
05/09/15
Will these be for sandwiches? Write back.
joe
05/09/15
we or having chile verde with rice beans for 200 people how much pork and rice and beans do we need per person
ellen
05/10/15
I plan per 100- for this meal, 10-12 pounds dry beaqns, 12 pounds rice and 35 pounds boneless pork per 100 would make big platefuls.

Butch
05/11/15
Yes it will be for sandwiches . I plan on slicing the pork loin thin
ellen
05/12/15
Hi Butch

pork loin, 25 pounds ready to serve (that's about 32 pounds raw)
shredded whole chickens, 32 pounds ready to serve
5 regular rolls or 12 slider rolls per pound of meat

Angie
05/19/15
Planning ahead for HS graduation next year. I want to make and freeze as much as possible, but especially the meat for sandwiches. I'm thinking shredded Italian beef, but can't seem to find a definitive answer for lbs of raw meat needed. I'm figuring 125 sandwiches, on mini-hoagie buns. We're having another sandwich, too, cheesy hash brown casserole, and some other sides to be determined. We raise cattle and are getting ready to butcher, so I would like to get as much of the roast as possible from our cow to save some $$. I would like to avoid chuck roast because I find it stringy and too fatty. What do you think I should request for roast cuts and how many lbs RAW do you think I'll need?
ellen
05/19/15
Top round would be an excellent choice for Italian style beef if you don't want chuck. Plan on 1 pound raw per 4 full size sandwiches, or 5 if there is a lot of the other sandwich. small hoagies about twice as many. Cooked low and slow to reduce shrinkage.

bell
06/03/15
i am serving roast beef, potatoe, turnip, carrots and dressing to 50 people how much of each will i need
ellen
06/05/15
roast beef, potatoes, just use 1/2 the amounts for 100 from the plan for 100 pages

turnip, about 8 pounds
carrots, about 10 pounds, probably some left
dressing, 3 9x13 pans

aryan
06/08/15
Hi Ellen,

I am volunteering at the Ronald Mc Donald House to make dinner for the famlies staying there.

We are doing a summer picnic theme with pulled bbq chicken and tuna salad for about 80 people.

How many lbs of chicken, bbq sauce, tuna and mayo we will need?.

Thanks you so much for your help!

Thanks

ellen
06/08/15
pulled bbq chicken and tuna salad for 80 people
I would plan 16 pounds ready to eat BBQ chicken (raw weight depends on whether you do whole, pieces, boneless, 2 pounds full bone makes about 1 pound shreds) with 80 buns or 160 slider buns, plus 1/2 this recipe for tuna salad for 100 sandwiches:

T^UNA SALAD
This makes 100 sandwiches. (You would do 1/2.)

tuna, not drained, 2 gallons, 10 pounds 14 ounces
celery, 9 pounds, 2 gallons
fresh chopped parsley, 4 pounds, 2 gallons (I like flat Italian type)
onion, 1 pound 6 ounces, 1 quart
drained pickle relish, 2 2/3 pounds, 5 cups
mayo or sub, 4 pounds, 2 quarts
pepper 1/3 ounce, 1 tablespoon
lemon juice, 1 1/4 pounds, 2 3/8 cup
chopped egg, 4 1/4 pounds, 38 eggs
bread 11 pounds, 200 slices
leaf lettuce 4 pounds

Of course you can substitute or add to taste.

You will probably have tuna left; put it out part at a time so the rest stays cold and can be used the next day.

Thank you for your effort on their behalf.

Pat
06/09/15
Hi Ellen, I'm having a luau with 65 to 70 guests, I've obtained receipes from the internet and decided that I want to serve pulled pork and teriyaki chicken. I don't know how much to buy of each meat? and for the side dishes what I see on the internet is macaroni salad, but I don't really like macaroni. Would it be ok to serve coldslaw? and how much of the side do I need?
ellen
06/10/15
Pound of meat per adult, luau, 70
pulled pork, Hawaiian kalua pork is not exactly pulled pork, I put a link to the recipe at the end of this answer. 2 1/2-3 pounds butt per 8 people
teriyaki chicken, 1 pound boneless per 4 people, or 1 piece per person

cole slaw, I would use a pineapple slaw such as the bachelor slaw on my web site, or the one on the link below.

You need a big fruit tray such as the deluxe tray at the bottom of my fruit tray page, I would do just 1/2 for this size crowd.

Baked sweet potatoes are very traditional.

Kings Hawaiian Rolls would be a fine bread choice

lOOK HERE FOR RECIPE HELP:

www.alohafriends.com/recipes.html

They even have a combo potato mac salad that might suit you better.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thank you.

Cheryl Deger
06/18/15
Pound of meat per mini slider
How many pounds of sprial ham will we need??? Having a baby 1st birthday party. Would like to have cold mini spiral ham sliders... Which we will make & serve... They would consist of spiral ham, slice of cheddar cheese (Cracker Barrel brand), basil pesto on mini buns... They be topped with a green olive... The theme of he party is Dr Suess... So we will be having green deviled eggs along with sheet pan of macaroni & cheese triangles... Thank You...
ellen
06/19/15
Nice idea. 1 pound makes a dozen fat sliders. Have some sandwiches with no meat. Cashew or almond butter can be tinted green for a nut butter sandwich.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Michelle E
07/12/15
Hi, I am a bride and have a cater.

We are doing a 3 meat BBQ - pulled pork, brisket and chicken. how many pound of each should i do for 130 people.

help....I don't know who to trust... the cater told 11lbs of each that just seen like not enough..

URGENT HELP NEEDED.

ellen
07/13/15
Quite right, not enough. If it were my party for 130 people, I would do 25-30 pounds brisket, 80-100 pieces (40-50 quarters) chicken, 12 pounds pulled pork, many people will take some of each and people eat more meat when there is a choice of meats.

If this saves you time, trouble, or money, please make a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Monica
07/21/15
I am having an 80th birthday party for my mom, and I would like to do pulled chicken sandwiches. Happily, I found chicken leg quarters on sale for $.25 a pound, so I bought 50 lbs. Is that going to be enough for 50 people once I get the bones out? I am worried about running out of food!! Thank you so much!!
ellen
07/21/15
More than enough, I would do no more than 1 quarter per person plus a few extra- you will have some left over in the freezer.
Rhonda
08/13/15
I'm having a party for approximately 50 guests. I'm making baked mostacholli and italian beef sandwiches plus pasta salad, a garden salad, veggie and fruit tray, and desserts. My question is how much italian beef do I need?
ellen
08/14/15
1 pound raw per 3 will make fat sandwiches for everyone.
Sharon
08/22/15
I am having about 120 people
how much of each meat would i need?
smoked pork butt
sausage and sauerkraut
sweet and sour meatballs
plus plenty of hot and cold sides

Thank You

Kristine
09/23/15
How many pounds of pork would I need for 140 servings of pulled pork and 140 servings of BBQ Chicken?
ellen
09/25/15
I use 35 pounds of raw boneless shoulder to make 100 people's worth of pulled pork. The chicken depends on which pieces- whole chickens cut up, it takes about 1 pound per 3 pieces, for larger chickens

Lisa
09/30/15
Planning 9 months ahead for a wedding BBQ. I'm trying to make sense of some of the information you published on the BBQ section, can you clarify how much more I should expect to serve (buffet style) if I'm doing multiple meats. We're early in the planning, but looking at serving: Brisket, Pulled Pork & Smoked Turkey along with 3-4 Side Dishes
around 100 people. Thanks for all the great information!!
ellen
10/01/15
Good for you planning ahead, Lisa.

Pulled pork is a messy eating food, people will be g=dressed up, would you consider sausage instead? Write back.

Lisa
10/01/15
I would consider that! It was on the list of meats. You have a point, I tend to wear my meals when they are messy like that it would be a little obvious haha.
ellen
10/01/15
It sounds like you are having the meats dropped off? So I will give you ready to serve boneless weights. If it is raw (or you have other questions), write back and I will give you raw weights- shrinkage differs. Assumes two heavy sides, potatoes, pasta, beans

Brisket, 1 pound per 3
Sausage1 pound per 5
Smoked Turkey, 1 pound per 8

6 servings per 100 guests of a meatless bbq item- Field Roast is and excellent sausage, Boca Burgers, Quorm, Morning Star, freezer or produce department.

Gordon
10/07/15
Very similar to Lisa except we plan two meats;
brisket and
turkey or
ham or
sausage (What kind?)
3 vegs
1 salad
rolls
for 125 guests
Sara
10/07/15
I am planning a party for 50-75people. im planning on making tutky and gravy sandwiches and beef and gravy sandwiches. how many lbs of each meat do i need.
ellen
10/08/15
1 pound of ready to serve meat and 1 cup of gravy makes 5 open face sandwiches, and I plan 5-6 for each 4 people, depending on how many men or teens and what else is being served.
paulette
12/07/15
chicken for party
How much chicken do I use for about 100 children and 100 adults. can you please help me.

thank you

ellen
12/07/15
Piecrs or some recipe, and how old are the kids. More info please.
Mary Roberts
12/09/15
URGENT! Serving center-cut beef tenderloin for holiday dinner - 7 adults and 4 children. I need to place my order with the butcher.

I want to serve each adult a 3/4" slice and each child a slightly smaller slice (perhaps 1/2").

The butcher will trim a whole tender and sell me the chateaubriand/whole cut (or two if needed for weight). I've prepared whole tenders previously but want to use the standardized sizes this time.

I've read that a typical whole beef tender is 4-5 pounds (feeds 8-10 / the center cut would feed 4-6) and an Angus tender (my order) will be slightly smaller. So I need help calculating.

Despite the relative weight of the whole tender, how many pounds of center cut (raw weight) meat should I buy so that I can serve the portions I want to serve?

ellen
12/09/15
When I serve tenderloin, I figure raw weight 8 ounces per adult and 5 ounces per child. You are really looking at about 4 1/2 pounds raw.
Mary Roberts
12/12/15
Ellen - is your raw weight measured after the tender is trimmed or Is that a PSMO weight?
ellen
12/12/15
trimmed
Mollie
12/14/15
Hello Ellen. We're having a workplace holiday luncheon for @80. How many lbs do we need and what should be the thickness for deli sliced smoked ham & turkey? There will be sides and deserts along with tamales.
Thank You
ellen
12/14/15
Thickness about 1 1/2 to 2 on a standard meat counter thickness chart.

About 24 pounds meats and 8 pounds sliced cheeses, maybe 14 turkey and 10 ham. If you have lots of tamales, you can cut about 2 pounds of each.

Please consider a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Linda
12/29/15
How many pounds of dry Rigate should I cook to feed 150 p? We will be serving other entrees also.
ellen
12/30/15
If this is the only starch, most everyone will take some, so 12-16 pounds per 100, depending on what other entrees are served. If there is also rice, potato, potato salad, about 12 pounds total.

Please consider a donation, a nickel or dime per guest, to support this site. Thanks.

Linda
12/31/15
Thank you. We will also be serving mac n cheese & some herb potatos. Also, how much sauce should I use for 12# of rigate?
ellen
12/31/15
12 quarts sauce, 6-12 pounds cheese.
Janet
01/16/16
Planning a social for 250 people and food will be served around 10 pm during even.. I want to serve Cold cuts, garlic sausage, cheese and bread and pickles and vegetable platters.
How many pounds of cold cuts, cheese and pickles and vegetables do I need to buy? Thanks so much for your help. Janet
ellen
01/16/16
Use the reception level amounts on the sandwich page for your meat and cheese, do 2 1/2 times the amounts for 100. Pickles, 1 gallon per 100. Vegetable platter use the veggie platter page, do consider using the classic relish trays for part of your veggies, and do consider adding fruit trays (such as 2 times the deluxe tray for 100) on the fruit tray page.

Side chips, about 6 pounds potato chips per 100 or 8 pounds corn chips, with 1 pint salsa or dip per pound.

David Ponce
04/24/16
How much pounds of barbacoa do you need for 70 people
ellen
04/24/16
Assuming adults at a party and it is the primary meat, 1 pound per 3 ready to serve, with the usual sides, beans, rice, salad.

Now it's my turn to ask a favor of you. EllensKitchen.com is remodeling and I want to provide the changes YOU (my readers) have been asking for. So after 18 years of supporting my readers as a hobby, I'm asking you for help
We're 10% of the way to our goal for the next three months. If you're able to donate even a few dollars, please click on the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and keep us cooking for another year!

Michelle
05/05/16
hello Ellen, I'm planning on feeding 250~300 for my son's graduation party. The menu is Walking Taco Bar (served with the small bags of chips) how much taco meat, lettuce, shredded cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos, sour cream and salsa do I need? Also in addition to the taco bar, I'm having cold cuts (Ham/Turkey) premade sandwiches. How much ham and turkey do I need for 300 sandwiches? And one last thing. how many large cheese, veggie and relish trays do I need?
Danelle
05/12/16
Pound of Salmon for 250
Hi,

How much Salmon would I need for Buffet to feed 250 people?

ellen
05/13/16
Danelle,
If it is the second choice, 55 pounds. If it is the main choice, 110-125 pounds.

Hope this helps. Now I need to ask for your help in return!
We've got major changes in the works to remodel EllensKitchen.com and in order to fund the new website, better searches and more help for your events, we need to raise nearly $20,000 within the next three months! For years, I've been helping make weddings & other large events a success and I've loved every minute, and now its time for the next phase.
Even if you can only afford $5-$10, every gift helps.
Please click the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and help me keep helping you.

ellen
05/13/16
Michelle, I apologize for putting the answer to someone else's question on your question! Here is the info you need:

There is a recipe for the walking taco salad for 30 people here, you would do 10 times the amounts:

www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmex1.html

ham and turkey do I need for 300 sandwiches?
1 pound makes 8 moderate sandwiches or 5 fat ones. I woul do 2/3 turkey, 1/3 ham

cheese tray, 8 pounds per 100, 5-6 pounds crackers per 100
veggie tray, see the veggie tray page, plan about 5 bites per person, 1 cup ranch dip per each 8 people
relish trays, there is a classic relish tray at the top of the veggie tray page. 3 Would be the place to start.

We've got major changes in the works to remodel EllensKitchen.com and in order to fund the new website, better searches and more help for your events, we need to raise nearly $20,000 within the next three months! For years, I've been helping make weddings & other large events a success and I've loved every minute, and now its time for the next phase.
Please click the masthead at the top of the page to visit www.EllensBigPots.com and help me keep helping you.

Cathy
06/02/16
I am substituting one whole chicken deboned for hamburger in a recipe. How many pounds of hamburger do I buy?
ellen
06/02/16
Chicken meat is 3 cups in 3 1/2-4 pound whole chicken. 80% hamburger, 1 pound makes 2 cups. I'm sure you can do the substitution.
Christine
06/21/16
I'm planning the meat for a wedding reception (dinner time) and our estimate is approx 80 guests. We're having brisket, pulled pork and chicken thighs with several sides.
I've been reading your recommendations and posts here, but am hoping for some input on what I'm thinking.
50 lbs brisket, 40 lbs pork and 50 chicken thighs. Do you feel that's too much of something, or worse, not enough?
Thanks!
ellen
06/22/16
You can cut back some, for 80 people, 35 pounds raw trimmed brisket, 18 pork, 40 chicken pieces.

Jade
06/22/16
Hi Ellen,
I have been told that to serve 130 people BBQ at approx. 1/2 lb. per serving, I would need to purchase 100 lbs. of raw meat (Boston Butts) and that would amount to about 65 lbs. of cooked pulled pork. Does this sound correct to you? Thanks!
ellen
06/22/16
Jade, if it is standard buns, you would plan about 120 sandwiches for 100 non-teen people, and a pound ready to eat makes 5-6 sandwiches. Even assuming 5, that is just 24 pounds ready to serve: for bone in Boston butt, which is about a 40% yield, that's 56-60 pounds raw weight per 100, or about 80 for 130. If you cook 130, you will have a lot left over.

Jackson
07/13/16
Cooking birria (mexican shredded meat) and BBQ shredded chicken for 75 adult men. How much chuck cross rib roast should I buy and how much skinless, boneless chicken should I buy? Also, how much potato salad should I make? Thank you!
ellen
07/19/16
People love this food.

30 pounds beef, 15-18 pounds chicken (dark meat is good for this), 3 1/2-4 gallons potato salad.

Christine
08/19/16
I'm cooking for my wedding, I have 160 guest and 20 children, I'm serving tri tipand chicken, how many pounds should I purchase of each! Also serving homemade mac and cheese and backed beans and salad
How much dry macraroni shoud I use and for the salad how do I figure out on that to? Thank you
ellen
08/26/16
Count this as 175 people, 1 3/4 times 100. It will take 3 serving lines or 2 double sided. 3 people in the kitchen, some on the grill and serving the meat, and about 10 to set up serve and clean up this number of people. Most will not be at the wedding, as they will be prepping the meal.

When You have beef almost everyone will have some, even if they also have chicken. 1 pound raw per each 3=58-60 pounds. Have someone serve the first round.

For the chicken, with beef, 1 pound bone in per 2 people, so about 75 pounds bone in; or 1 pound boneless per 4.

homemade mac and cheese, very popular, at least 1 pound dry per 6-8 , 1 quart sauce per pound, 1/2 to 1 pound cheese per pound. Recipes for both plain and fancy on this site. Can be done ahead and frozen, but please slightly undercook the pasta if you do this.

Baked beans, 7 #10 cans or 5 1/2 gallons

Salad use the plan for 100 page and do 1 3/4 times the amount for 100.

PLEASE make an appetizer plan, here is why:

One appetizer service area serves about 100 guests. You would do 2.

Even if you can only afford $10-$20, every gift helps.

Kathie
08/26/16
Feeding 20+ adults for a bar-b-que
How many pounds of
Hamburger
Chicken thighs
Hot dogs

Will also have baked beans, potato salad, veggie tray, chips/salsa, watermelon
Thank you

p harlow
10/18/16
can anyone help me..i will be serving prob 100 guest im doing pulled bbq with sauce mixed in, im trying to make it stretch so i would like to make the sandwiches a few hours ahead.. is wrapping them in saran wrap and putting them in a chafing dish covered for heat gonna make them soggy?
ellen
10/20/16
Sorry, but pulled meat sandwiches are a soggy mess if made ahead. Put the meat out with a 1/3 cup scoop for a full bun, or smaller for slider buns- people will eat less with slider buns. 1 pound ready to serve makes 5-6 full buns (serves 4) or 12+sliders (serves 5-6).

Serve cole slaw (3 gallons) and have a gallon of pickle slices and about 8 pounds of sliced onions so people can bulk up their sandwiches.

Helena burdon
09/13/18
I'm catering for about 150 people and am thinking of severing cold meats, ham beef turkey and cooked chicken drumsticks minne sosauger rolls cooked Minnie sosaugers but I'm not sure on the amount that I will need can you help please.
ellen
09/15/18
Helena, what kind of event, what time and how long for, is there alcohol, is this a meal? What else is being served? All affect amounts. Also this is a lot of meat, which makes it costly. Usually 3 meaty thing is plenty for 150 people. Please write back.
Re:
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)